996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Price check?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 PM
hules98 is on a distinguished road
Price check?

I've been looking for awhile for a turbo or c4s. I've found a couple but the price seemed high 1st was a 01 tt with27k miles asking $50 no options wouldn't budge on price so I passed(was really nice) next 01 turbo 53k miles asking $50 got them to $45 but I passed bc not in good cosmetic shape. Now I found a 04 C4S 36k miles new ims,rms,clutch etc. everything is done and in really nice shape price is $41. It seems like everything is high according to forums but these cars are selling at these prices. What would you guys do keep looking or maybe pay these prices. Thanks for any feedback. Sorry about length of post.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I agree that those prices seem a little high. Based on everything I have read recently, you should be able to get a nice C4S in the mid to low 30s. A higher-mileage C4S should go for under $30K. I would expect turbos to be priced in the low 40s or even high 30s with higher-mileage.

Keep looking. You'll find one.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
i agree also but everything ive looked at is around here is in that range. i actually just inquired about a 02 tt with 17k miles priced at $52 & it is selling today so im thinking the prices are going up and up

Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Is your search been limited to a certain area? I agree with Dennis in the pricing. What's you price range? Have you driven both?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Try a quick check of autotrader.com and you'll find several examples in the price range I mentioned. You'll also find some that are much higher. It's hard for people who purchased these cars new for over $100K to accept reality sometimes.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
Too high. Keep looking. Widen your search, be patient, and be willing to travel. You can find a much better deal. I'm in Texas and went all the way to Florida for mine!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM
just looked at one today about 2 hrs away. 02 tt with natural brown interior and wood package 33k miles $50 and wouldnt budge on price. ecs i have driven both kind of want a turbo but in that range some of them are just ok. the 04 c4s is almost perfect thats why i am interested in that one. i didnt want to go too far but i may have to for better deal

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM
xxaarraa is on a distinguished road
Here's a related question. When is it likely for 996 prices to go up in the used market? Like most Porsche generations depreciate up to a certain point and then turn classic and start appreciating.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
35K should get you a top notch c4s

Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Here's a related question. When is it likely for 996 prices to go up in the used market? Like most Porsche generations depreciate up to a certain point and then turn classic and start appreciating.

996 prices are up . if you look at the prices back in 09 you will see they have come up thousands .

Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM
It's unfortunately unlikely that the 996 will ever attain "classic" status due to the sheer volume of cars manufactured and the stigma associated with the fact that the 996 is considered by purists to be anything but a "real" 911. I think there are exceptions. The more rare 996 cars have a chance to hold a pretty decent value. I would include the MK I GT3, the C4S Cabriolet, the turbo S and the GT2 in this category.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
As you've seen, a single year at a certain mileage can result in varying prices. Location, cars on the market and other variables can make a particular area higher than others. However, if you're looking for a specific price range rather than a specific model you may have to look farther from home. There are usually a lot of Carrera's for sale in Texas, California and Florida. Check Ebay and Craigslist and you may find something worth flying out to pick up and drive home. Prices are market driven. All it takes for prices to go up is for owners to hold out for their desired price. Prices are also somewhat seasonal. Now would be the time to get the best price on a Cabriolet as some seller's dump their convertibles this time of year.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
As you've seen, a single year at a certain mileage can result in varying prices. Location, cars on the market and other variables can make a particular area higher than others. However, if you're looking for a specific price range rather than a specific model you may have to look farther from home. There are usually a lot of Carrera's for sale in Texas, California and Florida. Check Ebay and Craigslist and you may find something worth flying out to pick up and drive home. Prices are market driven. All it takes for prices to go up is for owners to hold out for their desired price. Prices are also somewhat seasonal. Now would be the time to get the best price on a Cabriolet as some seller's dump their convertibles this time of year.
Thanks everyone for the help. I have started to expand my search it must be my area(jersey,philly area) the prices are in the right range elsewhere. With that any specific ?? Or things to ask over the phone with sellers I have never even thought of buying something I have to travel to