996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Won't start when engine is warm. Starter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Black_911 has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_911 has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_911 has a spectacular aura about
Won't start when engine is warm. Starter?

Hey guys! MY99 is having issue. At cold start it starts fine, drive it around town and when I try turning it on (warm start) it would NOT turn over. Battery seems to be okay, I charge it everytime.

I tried doing the push/kick start (1st gear) and it turns on...

My friends says its a symptoms of failing starter/alternator/battery.

What could be the culprit here?

TIA!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
You say it's not turning over. So, when you try to start it when it is warm it does what...?? nothing? No clicking, no sound? Why are you charging the battery "every time"? More information please. If all this is factual, then it sounds like you are charging the battery for a reason. Then after starting and running the car, the battery is drained again. Again, if all this is correct your battery needs changing - at least and possibly your charging system. Have you taken it in to Pep Boys or your dealership for a charging system check up? If not, why? That will tell you if you are charging and the battery is not holding a charge or that you are not charging at all.

Last edited by denversteve; 10-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Black_911 has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_911 has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_911 has a spectacular aura about
When cold starts up fine...

When I park it at a store and sits for 30-1hr engine warm and I try to start it, it cranks, but doesn't start....battery seems to be okay. Gauges are lighting up.

When I kick start or push start, it starts right up.

People say it's the Starter.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
I had a similar thing happen. The issue was some valve by the front right well. I can't remember exactly but it was clogged and when hot did not let gases escape, this engine did not start.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
rrrruben will become famous soon enough
Just a shot in the dark here. I have had a similar issue with my Benz daily driver. The culprit was a faulty CPS (crank position sensor). Started up fine cold, and cranked but no start hot. I do not know the equivalent 911 part; guessing the impulse sender. Nonetheless, a part to investigate. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Do what Denver Steve advices. But first check each side to see if the heat shield covering the coils are in place. If they are not then the heat from the muffler after the car is hot just may effect the coil top distribution. Second thoughts your car starts under a push. uuummm takes 2 mins to check it anyway.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
So what is it? Your dealership should have had an answer in a day or so.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Ozden79 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem where when the engine got warm, it started to stall and not start. After a trial and error of a few days, it turned out to be the burned engine fan which I assume was causing kind of a short circuit when the car tried to activate it. Replaced it with a Renault headlight motor (I suppose) as a quick fix and since didn't bother changing it as it works flawlessly

Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ozden79
I had a similar problem where when the engine got warm, it started to stall and not start. After a trial and error of a few days, it turned out to be the burned engine fan which I assume was causing kind of a short circuit when the car tried to activate it. Replaced it with a Renault headlight motor (I suppose) as a quick fix and since didn't bother changing it as it works flawlessly
Please share more info on this. Are we talking the fan on the decK lid? and part numbers please.

thanks in advance!

jorge

Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Wausau 911 is on a distinguished road
This is discussed in the Panorama mag that just arrived ring my mail yesterday- check it out.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Ozden79 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zdr2k
Please share more info on this. Are we talking the fan on the decK lid? and part numbers please.

thanks in advance!

jorge
It's called as blower as well which you can see when you open the trunk attached to the upper opening and helps to move out the hot air from the engine. Part number is : 997-624-046-01-M100

Old 10-20-2013, 05:06 PM
So (again) what was the verdict?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I still haven't got a chance to fix it. I'm reading a lot of different possibilities. I don't want to start buying parts that doesn't need to be replaced. I will do the easy possible fix. Will update soon... Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 AM
I've taken the battery to get checked. Battery is fine only one year old.

Rated:730 CCA
Measured:687 CCA
Voltage:12.72
Elapsed:00:35:54
Amp Hours:7.3

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 AM
I've taken the battery to get checked. Battery is fine, only one year old.

Rated:730 CCA
Measured:687 CCA
Voltage:12.72
Elapsed:00:35:54
Amp Hours:7.3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Won't start when engine is warm. Starter?