996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Won't start when engine is warm. Starter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Black_911 has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_911 has a spectacular aura aboutBlack_911 has a spectacular aura about
Won't start when engine is warm. Starter?

Hey guys! MY99 is having issue. At cold start it starts fine, drive it around town and when I try turning it on (warm start) it would NOT turn over. Battery seems to be okay, I charge it everytime.

This only happens when the engine is warm...

I tried doing the push/kick start (1st gear) and it turns on...

My friends says its a symptoms of failing starter/alternator/battery.

What could be the culprit here?

TIA!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 AM
b-man will become famous soon enough
I can't speak to 911's specifically. But what you are describing is a typical starter problem.

My understanding is this: There is a internal shaft that slides when you try to use the starter. When they get old, there is dirt, corrosion, etc., and that shaft doesn't slide. I've seen people hold down the key to start the engine (it doesn't turn over) while someone hits the starter with a hammer. That shakes the starter internals and the engine starts. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it myself.

b-man

Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor
Extreme Dimensions has a spectacular aura aboutExtreme Dimensions has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by b-man
I can't speak to 911's specifically. But what you are describing is a typical starter problem.

My understanding is this: There is a internal shaft that slides when you try to use the starter. When they get old, there is dirt, corrosion, etc., and that shaft doesn't slide. I've seen people hold down the key to start the engine (it doesn't turn over) while someone hits the starter with a hammer. That shakes the starter internals and the engine starts. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it myself.

b-man
That is correct. I have had this happen in two non-911 vehicles, and it turned out to be the starter on both occasions.

If it hesitates to start, try turning the key on and off several times, it usually gets the starter a bit "unstuck" and capable enough to get the car started.

Your profile states Northern California, you might want to take it over to Heyer Performance in Mountain View and have them take a look at it?

VERY general breakdown:

If the car just clicks and dies out when you go to start her up, it might be the battery.

If she turns off on you while you are driving, or are experiencing flickering/dimming lights as you drive, its might be the alternator.

If she's doing what you describe, it might be the starter. when it gets really bad, the only way to get her going (even when its cold) will be push starting, or giving the starter the ole' one,two with a hammer.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Believe it or not it could be that one of your electric fans isn't working. I've seen this in several long threads. I would check that first before replacing anything.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
This topic has been hit a lot of times and it usually is:

-Starter going out
-Dead Battery
-Impulse Sensor going out
-Corroded Ground Strap

Check this link for lots of people who've posted about a similar problem:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...w=1143&bih=791