996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LN Engenieering failure posibilities?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM
crossfire is on a distinguished road
LN Engenieering failure posibilities?

I have an 99 3.4 Carrera, My mileage is 32k,

I had months of searching about these theme Step by Step, so went i deside to do it, my mechanic "With a good reputation in puerto rico an Porsche owners" tells me that I should leave the car as is, because Retrofiting can cause a failure that is a Gamble once these bearing is out..

"Keeping in mind that he gets paid for these, he tells me to enyoy the car and don't do it"

These is driving me nuts, My car runs perfectly i just dont want any problem related to this ims crap.

Did somebody had any issue with LN ENGENIEERING RETROFIT ? DOBLE ROW ECT?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
I installed the Dual Row IMS Kit. However dont do yours until you have a problem or replace the clutch. You will have to remove the transmission to do it, so might as well wait until you replace your clutch and do both at the same time.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The LN Engineering bearing can fail. There are documented cases of failure. This is because if the original design of the bearing. That being said, all bearings wear. It's silly not to change your IMSB when you change your clutch. The LN Engineering bearing is made from better materials and will provide better wear performance. If you want to totally eliminate the bearing, then consider "The Solution" from LN Engineering.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Any mechanical component *can* fail. The question is weather the LNE retrofit is *more* likely to fail than the original IMSB and the answer to that question (based purely on materials and design) is absolutely not.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Two points.

The double-row bearing is thought to be more robust and less failure prone than the single-row bearings. This is true for the OEM and LNE versions.

The "Solution" is not available for cars with double-row bearings.

Opinion:

I have a car with the double-row bearing and I had mine changed to the LNE version around the same mileage that you have now. If it worries you and you can afford the upgrade, I say do it. I have a Tip, so waiting for a clutch change wasn't an option for me.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I have a '99 with 142k miles on the odometer. It also has the dual row shaft bearings which have not been replaced. I've spoken to 3 Porsche dealership service managers who have told me that the majority of the cars in for IMS replacement are 2001-2004 model cars. They've said it's a rare sight to see a '99 with IMS failure although it can happen. Like any other manufactured part, if it's going to fail it will. I service mine more than the book calls for. Perhaps changing oil/filter frequently has something to do with it.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks all for your response, Definetly I would do the upgrade no matter what he says...

Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crossfire
Thanks all for your response, Definetly I would do the upgrade no matter what he says...
Time to change shop., if you need good shop in PR that has done this a few times, let me know, I can guide you to one.,cheers, Sonny.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Which shop do you suggest.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Sportech,Inc., 1(787)390-1975., I have sold them lots of retrofit IMS kits, they do know their stuff., cheers, Sonny.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 AM
I sold the Car can resist the offer, I bought the Retrofit Upgrade, I'll would be selling it at a good price, don't need it is brand new

bimmerbenz87@hotmail.com or sent me an inbox 600$ paid 650$

Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
Any mechanical component *can* fail.
That is absolutely true. Don't sweat it, drive the car and enjoy it. Such a small percent of Carreras have experienced the failure it is not even worth worrying about.