996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Hardtop wind noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM
huesey1974 is on a distinguished road
Hardtop wind noise

Hi,
When I go over 65mph the wind noise on my hardtop is pretty loud and is coming from the top to windscreen area. I have the little plastic caps on properly but no matter what I do they don't seat properly into the locating slots either side of the windscreen, They are about 10mm short of where they should be and the front latch doesn't pull them into the slots. When the auto latch on the soft top closes it pulls the top in tight but the manual hardtop latch doesn't. Can anything be adjusted?
Thanks

Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
That's not normal. I get no wind noise from mine. Good luck with the noise issue. If it were mine, I would take it by the dealer and see if they observe something missing from the top or misaligned on the body.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 PM
ZABUCH is on a distinguished road
what plastic caps?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
where the 2 outside slots are in the wind shield frame. In there is a screw somewhere. I can't just remember but its like an alan key. I think you remove a plastic part to see them. They may be loose.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Hey,
So today I decided to remove the hardtop as im going to do some coilover work and need access to the top mounts. As I put the soft top up I heard a crack and the rear plastic screen shattered, It was very brittle. Anyone know if you can just replace the plastic? On a better note I managed to get the pins on the hardtop to seat properly. the two nuts on the rear pins can be slackened and the pins are in slotted holes, A shove forward and they are now seated at the front. Now to search for a new screen

Old 11-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Gees thats a bit of a bummer. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
What plastic screen? Do you mean the black mesh in the wind deflector?

Old 11-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
What plastic screen? Do you mean the black mesh in the wind deflector?
I don't think so Steve. I think he means when he raised the soft top, the plastic window was brittle and split/cracked. At least thats how I am interpreting it. That was one of his problems. The other refers to the hard top. . After he managed to get the front part of the hard topo seated properly into the small slots in the windscreen frame work, I hope that he tightened up the rear with the large alan key, one half turn each, so the rear is seated properly as well. I can't see him referring to the plastic wind deflector which attaches across the rear seat area. What makes it confusing is he is mentioning two tops in his posting, a soft top cab (when the plastic window cracked) and the hard top (when the front part was not seated at the front into the frame work of the wind screen).

Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Hurdi is 100% correct.