996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Air in the cooling system is it common?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Air in the cooling system is it common?

Is it common for the cooling system to create air bubbles? Today I was driving on the freeway and the cooling light started blinking. I pulled over shut the car and looked at the cooling reservoir and it looks fine, the nipple was fully extended. After the car cooled down I inspected the reservoir and oil to see of intermix. Everything looks good nothing is leaking and I don't smell any antifreeze. Is it possible that it some how created an air bubble?

About a month ago I replaced the driver side radiator. I replaced the fluid I took out of the of the system by measuring what came out in the pan. Could of this air bubble been some how trapped in some where? If yes, what out come could this have on the engine? Could this create a hot spot?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Did you burp the system?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Yes. and for 3 days afterwards I watched it and burp it more. Then it stopped there was no more air coming out. For more then 2 weeks the system was stable, then today it burped out another bubble. Should I be worried?

Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I heard it was good practice to burp the car with the car on an incline. Keep an eye on the coolant level.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Ok guys we are talking about the same think over and over. Was the system burped? Yes it was I burp it in an incline position the highest I could possibly incline the car almost 2 feet high, the front bumper was touching the ground. Did that until all the air came out of the system took me about 3 hours. Then for the next week I watched it and kept adding coolant when needed a little bit of air came out here and there.

Yesterday I had a bubble come out, after 2 weeks of no air coming out. My question is could that bubble cause a hot spot? Since there is no way of telling where that bubble could of been hidden after all this time.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Angry

The trapped bubble probably would cause a hot spot but at least it came out with no apparent overheating effects. One thing the book advises is to put the heater on HI so the whole cooling system fluid is in motion. I left mine on HI with the fan down to manual lowest so I wouldn't get roasted inside the cab. I drove for many miles as I was blurping my system out. I had a gallon of coolant and a funnel in the frunk. At one point, I stood the car nose down on a very steep grassy slope in a local park. Incidentally the Park Ranger was not too pleased that I had parked on his precious grass. As I was explaining why the car was in this position, he interrupted me by saying that he could have the car towed away. My next words were "Over my dead body" as I quickly reversed off HIS precious grass (making sure that I left some nice tire tracks) and drove off HIS park. I didn't give him chance to say one more word as he stood there, mouth ajar with his chin down on his boots. I was in a 'HOT SPOT' even if the engine wasn't.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Lol thanks for your reply.