996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Driver side window not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 AM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Driver side window not working

Window will not roll down at all. Not even when opening or closing the door. I tried moving it with my hands its stuck in the up position. Can't really close the door easily cause it touches the rubber seal.

The internet forums I have been reading all relate to the window not opening when the door opens or closes. But their window still rolls down. Is this related to the same problem I'm having? Could this be a dead regulator or is the motor actually gone? The button works cause wen I press it I hear a buzzing/clicking sound in the door.

Also is there a door removal DYI somewhere?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
You have to visit Youtube and find your year of car for inside door removal. I am sure you can figure that out. Then you will see what you are working with. If the fault is not so obvioius then take the other door inside off to compare the differences between the good and bad window operation.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Ahhh!! Ok got the Dyi on the door panel. I will check it out asap. Has any one else come across this problem I would not like to take both doors off?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It sounds like either a switch problem or a motor problem. I assume you've checked the fuse... is this correct?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Yours sounds a lot like the problem I had not too long ago. If you're hearing a whirring sound when you press for the window to go down your motor is good. Sounds like a bad regulator to me.

If you're going to remove the inside door panel you won't see too much but there are a couple of cut-outs. Sounds to me the regulator cable came out of one of the pulleys causing the up-and-down action to jam.

You can DIY the repair but it's a PITA. It'll cost you about $600+ to have it replaced by a dealer or indy.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
Yours sounds a lot like the problem I had not too long ago. If you're hearing a whirring sound when you press for the window to go down your motor is good. Sounds like a bad regulator to me.

If you're going to remove the inside door panel you won't see too much but there are a couple of cut-outs. Sounds to me the regulator cable came out of one of the pulleys causing the up-and-down action to jam.
I have to take it apart on Sat it gets dark earlier now and my garage is not that well lit. I was kind of thinking is the motor 3 days ago it gave me the same problem with the open door window not rolling down. After I started the car I was able to roll the window down. Now it just makes the clicking sound kind of like a bad starter. Thanks for everyone advice I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
I have to take it apart on Sat it gets dark earlier now and my garage is not that well lit. I was kind of thinking is the motor 3 days ago it gave me the same problem with the open door window not rolling down. After I started the car I was able to roll the window down. Now it just makes the clicking sound kind of like a bad starter. Thanks for everyone advice I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.
One more comment while I'm thinking about it. My drivers door window was stuck 1/2 open. When I pushed the button it would not even move but you could hear the motor clicking. If yours is similiar, do not continue to try to use the button as it will more than likely cause your motor to burn out. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nottoshabi

You really need an inspection work light.. Amazon have a great selection on this page http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2yvqhlpqhm_b

Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Abuong01 is on a distinguished road
If it is the regulator do not buy from ebay dealers claiming to sell "OEM" quality replacements. Bought one for about half the normal cost and it busted after two months, mechanic showed me the "OEM" crap after he replaced it and it wasn't real, probably China crap. Went to SunCoast online and bought a real one for $275. Install at a good Indy shop is about 90 minutes. Wish I had done that the first time. . Just a lesson to pass along in case you have to replace the regulator.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:45 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
It sounds like the regulator is toast. broken or misaligned cable.

It is not that difficult to DIY. I did mine '07 Cayman S a couple weeks back.

Bought a used regulator off eBay for $85.

only advice I can offer that was not in the videos/articles you'll find online is to put painters tape on the inner door skin so it doesn't scratch your door jamb area.

Don't be scared of it. It is pretty easy. It just takes a little patience. Mark the window position w/ tape (relative to the two regulator glass holding thingys). That will help w/ reinstallation.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by Abuong01
If it is the regulator do not buy from ebay dealers claiming to sell "OEM" quality replacements. Bought one for about half the normal cost and it busted after two months, mechanic showed me the "OEM" crap after he replaced it and it wasn't real, probably China crap. Went to SunCoast online and bought a real one for $275. Install at a good Indy shop is about 90 minutes. Wish I had done that the first time. . Just a lesson to pass along in case you have to replace the regulator.

Ahhhh crap. I got mine from Ebay from this company. www.am-autoparts.com
And I all ready installed. I read your email to late.

Thanks jhthornley. I did not think of the tape or to mark the window I just shut the door and then moved the window up a hair to make the complete seal. It was pretty easy the biggest problem was that stupid inner lining glue. I got so frustrated with it cause I will pull it off. I turn around to grab a screw driver and the darn think will attach it self to the door again. Urrrgghhh