996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

cab roof swap ?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
cab roof swap ?

I was wondering if the the glass window cab roof and frame from the later 996 would fit the earlier cars ? I know the canvas will not fit . I am talking about the top with the frame . will the later frame and top bolt on to the earlier cars assembly ? I know this is a common swap with the boxster but could not find any info on the 996 .

Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 PM
no one with any information ? I would assume that you could just bolt on a newer cab top with frame . did the roof mechanism change much from 01 to 02 ? any one ? this would be a great upgrade for people like me who dislike the plastic window and do not care for the look of the small aftermarket glass.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
You should be alright. I think the only thing that was done between 01 and 02 was a facelift. I could be wrong though.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jacabean
no one with any information ?
A roof swap isn't something many people ever do. Call your dealership and speak with your regular service writer and see what he/she has to say. That's one great example of why I maintain a great relationship with my shop.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
A roof swap isn't something many people ever do. Call your dealership and speak with your regular service writer and see what he/she has to say. That's one great example of why I maintain a great relationship with my shop.
This swap is very common with the boxster crowd . it is actually much easier to do than replacing the canvas . I can not find any info on this being done to the 996 and i do not know how much has changed with the face lifted car. you can find complete roofs from dismantlers for reasonable money these days.