996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Replacement tail lights with different ratings ok?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM
swaff has a spectacular aura aboutswaff has a spectacular aura about
Replacement tail lights with different ratings ok?

I just had a rear brake light go out on my 99 911 and a trip to any of the 3 auto stores in town produce the same results.

They all have 13.5 Volt 25/6 watt bulbs in stock, and those are the ones listed in their computers as a fit for my car, but I see Pelican has the 12 volt 21 watt bulb. The bulb that was in there was a 12v 21/5watt. Will the 13.5v 25/6 watt be ok as a replacement for my brake lights, or will that mess something up? I'm not very knowledgeable on the differences.

Thanks for your help,

Swaff

Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 PM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
Being a low voltage electrician I can tell you that 10% over or under is considered to be with an acceptable range. Also, if you were to take a volt meter and test your cars DC system you would find, if it's like my car, your car is outputting 13+ VDC (volts direct current). As for the watts, as the number goes up, the bulb becomes brighter, as the number goes down, the bulb gets dimmer. Consequently if you replace just one, your tail lights might look a bit different if observed from directly behind the car. Bulbs are cheap so replace them both at the same time. As always, advice is worth no more than what you pay for it so if your car blows up don't blame me!