996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Performance Driving School Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Mike_man1 is on a distinguished road
Performance Driving School Recommendations

I have gone through the Skip Barber Performance school, and now would like to try another. I'm not interested in riding in a stock car nascar experience. I want real, hands-on applicable curriculum. The Skip Barber experience was great, but I would like to hear what others are available that you all have tried and enjoyed. The plus for me would be several cars to choose from. Thanks in advance for weighing in.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Might try contacting your local SCCA or NASA chapter and see if anyone local does private instruction. I think you can get more out of a single private day than a three day 'structured' class, especially if you've previously gone through a racing class. Sometimes they have rental cars as well if you want a real race car vs. your own street car.

If nothing local, Michael Pettiford at Go4it Racing does multi-day courses and private instruction at High Plains Raceway (near Denver) & and Pikes Peak International (Near Colorado Springs). Rental cars including multiple T1 and T2 C6 Vettes and a bunch of other race prepped SCCA cars. High Plains is a great track, close to DIA, probably very cheap flights to TX.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	newZ06_900.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	305010  

Last edited by pfbz; 11-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Ditto. However, there's usually no need to go to SCCA if you're a member of the PCA and participate in club DI days. You can go to the track and talk to any number of Driving Instructor's who can instruct you in your car. If you don't have a car, the DI's in your club will know any number of instructor's who will instruct you individually.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:16 AM
mhenry24 is on a distinguished road
I would do some HPDEs. If you want private instruction I would recommend looking up Mike Skeen at mikeskeen.com. He is a pro racer that really helped me in my development. If he can't help you he will know someone who can.