996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Trans Mount Inserts: Increase 996 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel/accuracy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor
Function-First is on a distinguished road
Trans Mount Inserts: Increase 996 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel/accuracy

Introducing new 6speedonline site sponsor: FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

TRANSMISSION MOUNT INSERT

Fitment: 996/997.1

The OEM transmission mount was designed for ride comfort and is prone to sagging and tearing – above all, it is a detriment to performance. Its empty voids allow for too much transmission movement, resulting in sloppy handling, numbed responsiveness, and imprecise shifting. Racecars utilize a solid metal mount to mediate this, which is impractical for street use as it transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin.

So how do you achieve the benefits of a solid mount while retaining daily drivability? Function-First Performance offers the only available effective and easy to install solution. Our durable urethane rubber insert simply slides in to fill and fortify the empty voids of the OEM mount, preventing premature bushing wear and undesirable transmission movement, all while transmitting minimal added noise and vibration.

The result? Handling is taut and predictable; power delivery is immediate and smooth; gear changes are crisp and confident.

Installation can be completed with basic hand tools in about one hour. Dropping the transmission to press out the stock transmission mount bushing is NOT necessary,
so you can easily return your car to stock condition when selling! Installation instructions are provided at the bottom of the product page.

Please click here for more information!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Former Vendor
Function-First is on a distinguished road
Here are some recent reviews:

jkw911
The mod is simple, quick, and inexpensive. The biggest improvement is the responsiveness of acceleration; the transmission has less play and flexes less so the power is transmitted to the wheels and there is less flex/rotate in the trans. Also the notchyness of the shifter is somewhat reduced.

Cabin noise is increased a little because there is less damping. Strange thing is that under 4000 rpms it sounds more like engine/exhaust feedback. Over 4000 it definitely sounds like transmission.

p.vanderlinden
Wow! what a difference after installing the FFP trans inserts.

Last year I put in a new 997 shifter and cables with aftermarket urethane/aluminum engine mounts (I forget who's product). I hardly noticed the difference though the rear felt a little tighter in the turns I still had a somewhat rubbery feeling shifter especially going to 1st or 3rd gear. I was fairly disappointed.

I purchased the FFP inserts a week ago and installed a few days ago. What a change up. There is some added vibration and slight gear whine but frankly I find it pleasing. The biggest change was the quality of the shift, much much better and I have a lot more confidence in engaging 3rd in the heat of battle than bouncing off the synchro's. The car feels so much more solid.

Two thumbs up, I am one happy customer!!

Cheers, Paul 2004 40th anniversary