996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What do i upgrade on my 996 3.4 engine before its installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM
noz1974 is on a distinguished road
What do i upgrade on my 996 3.4 engine before its installed

Hi Everyone

I have a replacement engine for my 996 with 80 k on it as the old one failed. What do you recommend I change/upgrade before fitting, was thinking Ims with dof, metal water pump and replace air oil sepperator?

Thanks

Old 11-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Tell us how the other failed and someone may tell you what to upgrade on the replacement.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
IMS bearing for sure , clutch , water pump and use a plastic impeller one , AOS , plugs and spark plug tubes would be a good start .

Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
ims, waterpump, aos (just cause its easy to get to now) and coolant lines if your previous engine had a intermix issue (oil in coolant/coolant in oil) the oil will cause the rubber coolant hoses to swell and the last thing you would want is to over heat the replacement motor. plus your typical tune up items (plugs & clutch)
Like jacabean said use the plastic impeller if it does happen to wear and send a piece into the motor, the motor stands a better chance of survival than a broken piece of metal. Also the pump bearings are usually what go out causing the impeller fins to wear out and if its a metal impeller its going to ruin the block. Just remember replace the water pump regularly every 2-3yrs and the risk is greatly decreased.

bty what happened to your previous engine, I thought you were rebuilding your last motor and sleeving the block?

Last edited by BiteEmNBeatEm; 12-01-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
noz1974 is on a distinguished road
Ok I'll tell you!!
My old engine failed because of oil/water intermix but the cause was a strange one, the head popped a core plug and thus pumped water into the cam box which then picked up in the oil system, a big end seized on the crank throwing a rod and wrecking the Pistons and cylinders at the same time so there were just too many parts to replace in the end, it wasn't economically viable, I did however manage to sell the heads, I had a new core plug fitted in the one that failed and had it pressure tested, then bought a used engine which I also stripped to refresh and improve, so far I have had the bearing carrier precision drilled with extra oil holes ( each bore now has 2 oil jets instead of 1) new big end and main bearings, crank has been micrometer checked, bores have been strengthened and honed by Hartech to prevent d chunking and improve strength and cooling, pistons have been ceramic coated on crowns and Teflon coated on skirts, heads have been refuted, new guides and seats machined , valves have been cleaned and faces machined, ims replaced with vertex roller bearing and oil feed system and that's about it for now I'm just in the middle of building up the short motor, more to come soon!!