996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Interior Sun/Water Leak Damage Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:37 PM
03996C4S is on a distinguished road
996 Interior Sun/Water Leak Damage Question

I bought my 2003 996 C4S this past May with 42k miles on it. It is and always has been a southern California car. The previous owners seemed to have taken care of it mechanically. However, they were a little lazy on the cosmetic side of things. It is Lapis Blue and has some pitting in the clear from the sun. I don't think they waxed it. I have had it clayed and buffed. I also wax it on a regular basis. I have managed to bring it back to a point where I have bought time before a needed repaint. That being said, they didnt tint the windows...which I did have done. There are spots on the upper door panels where it looks like the glue has broken down...not sure if it was water or sun. They are not curling up yet. The trim panel below the rear window is curling up in the lower passenger side corner. There are also 2 other spots along the bottom where I can see a breakdown of the glue underneath. Again, I lean towards a water leak, BUT these cars get so hot during the summer that maybe the heat broke down the glue and leather shrunk? The dash and seats are in excellent condition...and I've been told the dashes were known to have sun damage issues...so I'm a little lucky there. It is a light gray full leather interior, so fading is harder to notice. Were these cars also known to have water leaks? The seals seem to look fine. I just curious if this is a common theme? Thanks for any info.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The leather used in the full-leather interior is treated specifically to prevent sun damage and shrinkage. Mine has held very well in the Colorado sun and low humidity.

Sun roof drains frequently become clogged and back up, causing interior leaks. I'm dealing with one right now on my passenger's side rear drain. Mine has leaked a few times and this has marked the leather near the roof line.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM
03996C4S is on a distinguished road
***MYSTERY SOLVED***

So I took the car back to the Porsche dealer and showed the service advisor who I have become friends with. He is a straight-up honest guy. Him: "It's definetly water damage, but there is no leak." Me: "Oh?" Him: "You had your windows tinted this past summer, correct?" Me: "Yes...I think I know where you're going with this." Him: "They used a bunch of water. The water ran down and got in there. Then they used a heat gun. On top of that, they let the car sit out in the 100+ degree heat for a few hours after." Anyway, what he said makes sense. I had the windows tinted in July, so going back to the tint installer would do me no good at this point. I had noticed the doors, which aren't that bad and barely noticeable, but didn't put 2+2 together. I just saw the trim under the rear window today because I had to get in to the back seat for the first time in months. It's probably been like that for a while. A guy I work with said the same thing happened to his friends car. Anyway, I got it tinted to protect it and that backfired...at least I know it won't get worse and the curling up is in a spot people won't see.

Last edited by 03996C4S; 12-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
solid info from your P-car guy. I'm not exactly sure what you're seeing, but maybe some leather conditioner could help??

Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Check with local Porsche car clubs and inquire about an honest upholsterer who may be able to give you some tips on restoration of the leather.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Is there any chance you could post some pictures of the damage? I have some strange stains on one of my leather door panels and was wondering what caused it. Mine almost looks like water got behind the leather.

Last edited by sjg1138; 12-10-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Try using a good leather cleaner then apply a conditioner, don't use the combo leather cleaner/conditioner products do it separately. I suggest using Griots Garage products, they work great. I've used them for years and my leather is as soft and supple as new. And the conditioner smells like leather so my car always has that new smell.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 PM
r38johnson is on a distinguished road
Watch out for any signs of water on the alarm CPU under the drivers seat. It could leave you high and dry if the immobizer quits.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Good call r38johnson. My car had its alarm cpu replaced before I owned the car. The drains under the hood became clogged and water got into the cabin. The lowest point in the car is where the alarm cpu is located. The alarm cpu was fried.