996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Supercharged 966

Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 PM
911 James is on a distinguished road
Supercharged custom m96, custom body, pics!

Hello guys, I need some help with some numbers and how to achieve them. I'll do a proper write up on this engine build when I'm done. I'm 90% there. I have a m96 type engine (1999) enlarged from a 3.4 to a 3.6. I have the VF Engineering supercharger kit. Engine has been rebuilt with the weak components replaced. Stock compression with a 2.62" pulley would give me around 575hp at 18psi (a best guess on my part, I may be off, that's why I'm asking for advice). The problem I have, is I want 21psi, and I have changed my compression to 8.5 to 1. Stacey, if you read this, I'd love your input. It's been a long while since I've been on the forum. Almost forgot, heads are stock.

Last edited by 911 James; 01-17-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
What kind of motor work have you done?
To go from a 3.4 to a 3.6 can be done one of two ways (with stroke or bore) easiest way is to use a 3.6 crank and crank carrier or to go with a regrind crank. And by mentioning that your compression is 8.5:1 I'm going to guess that you also went with a set of lower compression pistons.
Also who did your work?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 PM
LN Engineering enlarged the bore, as I didn't want the crank weakened (being it's supercharged), Ryan at RSR put it all together. And yes, I went with lower compression pistons. But now, I may not be able to get enough boost even using Vortecs smallest pulley. Looking back, I should have gone with a ratio of 9:5:1. I'm looking for a decent clutch and flywheel right now. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 911 James; 12-15-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 AM
joshtownsend is on a distinguished road
2.62 is by far not the smallest pulley.. Why are you concerned with it making 21 vs 18 psi? At this stage, you are shooting in the dark anyways as boost,psi, is a measure of restriction and there is no "one pulley" for one psi. Put the blower on, run things and see where you are from there.

Being as your went 8.5CR instead of something more closer than stock CR, i would suggest that you overspin the blower and the use a restrictor plate to give it more of a hit feel vs feeling like one big turbo feel.

Also, do you guy actually use any type of meth system? If not, you should look into it..

Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 PM
I will check with Vortec tomorrow and see if I can get a smaller pulley, as I didn't see one listed. Thanks, I will look into a restrictor plate set up, as well as a meth system, something I hadn't thought of.

Last edited by 911 James; 12-16-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
joshtownsend is on a distinguished road
it has to be made.. vortec doesn't sell then.. but plenty of guys run then in the vette and mustang world and usually sell for less then $75 of so. I think i have a friend that runs a 1.75, its basically a bolt with 2 washers..haha. Meth is a must in my book. It allows you to be much more aggressive and make much more power safely. On my vette i ran over 12XX hp on 87 pump gas and 26 psi .. with meth of coarse..

One question i do have with P cars, how is the crank pulley attached to the crank? with the blower spining that much, if the crank pulley is a press on item, it will slip and mess a lot of things up on higher boost. This is not a issue on say 6 psi, but i have not seen it addressed with these p cars but it may be keyed from the factory.. i don't know. It something to look into if its not.

Last edited by joshtownsend; 12-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joshtownsend
One question i do have with P cars, how is the crank pulley attached to the crank? with the blower spining that much, if the crank pulley is a press on item, it will slip and mess a lot of things up on higher boost. This is not a issue on say 6 psi, but i have not seen it addressed with these p cars but it may be keyed from the factory.. i don't know. It something to look into if its not.

the pulley is not just pressed on it has a key slot so there is no chance of it slipping, however belts can slip or pulleys can break.

Violent, look into a gates green belt they are heavy duty and used on fleet trucks since they have a longer life to them. my buddy used them on his z06 ysi2000 supercharger setup with smaller pulley and probably got about 2-3time better life over the goodyear belts. but once you start spinning those belts real fast they end up getting eaten up. thus the reason he is currently switching to a single turbo.

in regards to the meth, it helps to reduce your iat's and you can run a lower octane fuel and lower the risk of detonation.

Last edited by BiteEmNBeatEm; 12-19-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Thank you for the advice on the belts, I'll look into that. It will be interesting to see the power this engine makes.

Last edited by 911 James; 12-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 AM
who will be tuning it?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM
I haven't look into that yet. Any Suggestions?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm going with Todd K. for the tune

Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
I will be doing something similar down the road with mine. I am using a TPC kit (waiting on it from another member) and will run the car at stock compression for now but plan to lower it in the future to run more boost.

You should put up some more specs about your build for those of us that are curious.

Also, are you dead set on using a supercharger? I think it is cool you are going through this work to achieve the numbers but it seems you are at peak performance for that particular charger and with the money you might wrap up into that you could have a nice custom turbo build. Just a thought. I know you may be bawlz deep now and past the point of no return.

Throw up some pics too!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the interest guys! I'm going to be very vague until it starts and runs, maybe even a text run down the 1/4 mile. The only reason I am using a supercharger is becuase your correct, (I'm in it too ***** deep at this point lol) Even modifying the body to make it more desirable was a hassle. But Bow didn't let me down, and gave me the finished product, in steel I desired. I would love a TPC kit, maybe later.
Originally Posted by NineEreven
I will be doing something similar down the road with mine. I am using a TPC kit (waiting on it from another member) and will run the car at stock compression for now but plan to lower it in the future to run more boost. Jakes pistons have been further modified, btw.

You should put up some more specs about your build for those of us that are curious.

Also, are you dead set on using a supercharger? I think it is cool you are going through this work to achieve the numbers but it seems you are at peak performance for that particular charger and with the money you might wrap up into that you could have a nice custom turbo build. Just a thought. I know you may be bawlz deep now and past the point of no return.

Throw up some pics too!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	305423_547137068648605_1922782974_n.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	322635  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 966