996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:36 PM
CapitolAK is on a distinguished road
Tire Recommendations

Hey everyone, I need to get new rubber for Nina (1999 Porsche 991 C2). Any tire recommendations? I'm on TireRack.com right now and I'm considering the Continental ExtremeContact DW and the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110.

Tire Size Front: 225/40-18 | Tire Size Rear: 265/35-18

I'm looking for grippy tires so I can have some fun in the spring/summer. But, not looking to break the bank per se. I don't mind tire noise, I just want the grip. I had the Hankooks on my old 2005 BMW 330Ci.

Feedback and thoughts appreciated...

Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 PM
mhenry24 is on a distinguished road
I have Conti DW. I have really enjoyed them.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've heard great things about Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I haven't used them, but I have used the PilotSport PS2. It's a fantastic tire.

I tried Hankooks once - I won't ever buy them again. The same is true for Sumitomo HTR ZIII.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
mcbit is on a distinguished road
^^^this! Michelin PS2 is a wonderful tire, I'd have liked to try the PSS but unfortunately not available for the rears on the 4S.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
jkscherk is on a distinguished road
I too wanted to put SuperSports on but they weren't made in the size I needed and Michelin said there were no plans to make that size in the future. I put on PS2 instead. Heads and shoulders better than the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso that were on before.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 AM
SHavis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've heard great things about Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I haven't used them, but I have used the PilotSport PS2. It's a fantastic tire.

I tried Hankooks once - I won't ever buy them again. The same is true for Sumitomo HTR ZIII.

I had a fairly new Sumitomo come apart on me, tread separated making it out of round. Not a good feeling. May have been a fluke, though.

My wife drive about 80 miles running errands(read: shopping) on a FLAT Pirelli P Zero. She came to me after she had been running around all day thinking something was broke up front... "it pulls hard to the right and is riding really rough!" Evidently she had hit something the day before and had a nice gash in the sidewall. I was overwhelmingly impressed that the tire did not disintegrate. It was very hot to the touch, though. Even after taking it off the rim, it didn't look all that bad. Certainly not a days worth of driving.

I had Michelin PS2's before the Pirelli's seeing if I could get a little more tread life. I like both tires. The Pirelli's ride a little more rough, especially when cold. Don't know about the tread life yet...

Cheers!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:18 PM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
I switched from Pirelli P Zero to Mich PS2 many years ago and went through 5 or more sets. Aug 2012 I installed first set of Mich Pilot Super Sport XL and they are still going. Comparable wet/dry grip to the PS2, approx 20% cheaper, higher UTQG wear rating. A win win win.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
I drive a c4s. I used Michelin ps2 for driving events and summitomos for DD. the former are MUCH better. Even on a drive day, the Summos cause the PSM to come on on every on-ramp. They last longer though. The PS2 last about 10k miles.

But, not everyone can use two sets of tires and rims

JB in NJ

Old 12-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Dish911 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried the new Michelin pilot sport A/S 3... They claim an all season tire with summer tire performance... Interesting as I live in the Northwest and prefer 1 tire and don't track the car, it's a fun daily driver... Interested if anyone has tried them on their P car...

Last edited by Dish911; 12-17-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
I've actually been pretty impressed with the inexpensive Ventus V12's both for track days and daily driving...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
mhenry24 is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one with Conti DW on their 911? I have had this tire on my 911 for several thousands miles and even more on my previous S2000. I found them a great compromise for daily drivers. They are comfortable and quiet along with being grippy when you need it. I have screwed around with them on the track and they held up just fine. Not a Dunlop star spec or r comp as those are different beast.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 AM
SHavis is on a distinguished road
Is there an N rated tire that lasts longer than the recommended oil change interval?

Funny that the oil can last longer than the rubber....

Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I'm using Kumho all around and find them to be nice. Have just under 4500 miles and they show little to no wear.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM
onewhippedpuppy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C

Same here. I've had three sets of Sumitomos come on cars when I purchased them (including current 996), each time I have quickly swapped them for something else. Two sets of Hankooks, same experience.

Michelin is a safe bet, but I've never felt that they were any better to justify their high price tag. Personally I have great luck with Firestone/Bridgestones. My wife's truck runs Destination AT (second set), my prior 911 had Potenza RE11s, my S8 had Potenza RE760AS, my RX8 had RE760 Sport, etc. The only time I look outside the brand is if they don't offer the tire and size I want, hence why my 996 winter tires are Vredenstein. Come spring when I buy summer tires, they will be Potenza S04 or RE11.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
I have hankook v12s on my audi, pretty happy with them, seems like they are good value for money, i'll be putting super sports on my porsche when they need replacing as i need as much grip as possible

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations