996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

MINI Cooper S Traded for '99 C2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:00 PM
TopherMessier is on a distinguished road
MINI Cooper S Traded for '99 C2

Hi everyone,
I was approached this week with an offer to trade [my] 2008 MINI Cooper S Clubman (fully loaded, lightning blue/black) for a 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera. It's got 70k, finished in silver/black, 6-speed, sunroof, nav, and 18" OEM wheels...
Before going ahead and making my move, I'd like to have some input here. Aside from regular oil changes, etc... What are some of the major services needed for a 996 with 70,000 miles? Although I trust the owner's integrity in saying that the car is meticulously maintained at EPE in Natick, it's still a Porsche.

Also, I'd appreciate some input on practicality. I am an undergraduate college student, and want to make sure it can used daily with ease.

Thanks in advance!
Christopher

Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
HM1
HM1 is on a distinguished road
the potential engine issues in the early 996 are enough to make me not wanna swap

Old 01-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Wausau 911 is on a distinguished road
At 60k, new serpentine, plugs, filters, coolant flush, tranny fluid, brake fluid.
See if the meticulous car had these done. Get history paperwork, trust but verify.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 PM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HM1
the potential engine issues in the early 996 are enough to make me not wanna swap
Lol hardly, i would take the right porsche over ANY mini in a heartbeat.

As for your info, one thing to do is clean out the radiators. Remove the bumper, air ducts, and condensors and use a wirebrush. So much crap gets built up in there, and its a free maintenance job.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Verify and check everything , then take the Porsche. You'll be glad you did. i drove a Mini for a while, and while they are fun they ain't no Porsche!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Get a hold of the maintenance records, and get a PPI if your serious about it then go from there. Keep us posted and let us know what you end up doing.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
epe are indeed very meticulous and do good work (they also happen to be very expensive), but that doesnt mean the owner approved everything they said needed doing or should be replaced. I would definitely get a PPI (not from EPE as it would be a conflict).

if he had epe do the work then i'm guessing he doesnt live too far away, Eurotech is in the next town over (framingham), have them do a ppi for you, Bill is great and the best porsche tech i have ever met, i wont trust epe or anyone else with my cars, Bill is the only guy I will take them to.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think that a 996 is very practical for everyday use, especially if you don't really need to transport large amounts of cargo or more than one other person in your car. The back seats are pretty useless for anything other than very small people or very short trips.

My 996 has been very reliable over the years. It's important to remember that a 1999 model car is 15 years old now, and things break and wear with time and use. There will be repairs because of this. Porsche repairs are generally not inexpensive, although a good independent mechanic can often save you some money compared to a dealer. Consumables like tires and brakes are also expensive for Porsches, so factor that into your decision.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
peterson911 is on a distinguished road
Do you have any history of owning a sports car?
you're going from an standard everyday FWD vehicle to a rear wheel, rear engine purist sports car, with no traction control.
Overall it will be a more expensive car to run thats for sure. The main thing I would look into is the IMS bearing failure issue, get familiar with this, as it can cause total engine failure which can cost you a nice mini cooper s to replace
If you think you can handle RWD with no traction control I say do the trade, you will never regret it. + your girl will love it

Last edited by peterson911; 01-20-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TopherMessier
I am an undergraduate college student, and want to make sure it can used daily with ease.
Student + Porsche don't usually mix unless you are part of the "DSR" club(daddy sponsored racing). My vote is no.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
+1

Focus on your studies and get a Porsche after.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM
peterson911 is on a distinguished road
Or be cool at school

Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM
cWade is on a distinguished road
Go for it.
My experience is they are both equally reliable.
Porsche service may be a touch more but not outrageous.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I agree on the equal relability and so does consumer reports. The 99-00 does not have IMS issues....Dual row bearing design. Porsche parts are more expensive and so is the labor though. I bought my first 911 about a month after graduation. Gives you something to keep you motivated with your studies. : )

Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by peterson911
Or be cool at school
I drove a nice car through college and i didnt get the "that guy is cool" i got the that "spoiled tool is a "DSR" kid who can't do his own this... I actually still get it even though I am out of college now. I haven't had financial help from my parents since I was 16... lol

Originally Posted by alpine003
Student + Porsche don't usually mix unless you are part of the "DSR" club(daddy sponsored racing). My vote is no.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MINI Cooper S Traded for '99 C2