996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Total Loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 PM
bjack69 is on a distinguished road
Total Loss

Hey guys I need some input on which way I should go on my car. I have a 02 C4S with 42000 miles. Long story short, on January 3rd 2014 I was on the 210 fwy in Pasadena Ca. when traffic suddenly came to a stop. Unfortunately the 20 yr. old driving his dads 83 Chevy pick-up didn’t and plowed into the back of me and pushed me into the Toyota Pre Runner that was ahead of me. I’m fine but the car is not. He’s my dilemma; the insurance company has decided the car is a total loss but it can be fixed for much less than the insurance company quoted. The frame is straight, motor and trans shift and run smoothly, the quarter panels and doors are in perfect shape. The parts that took the hit are the front bumper and hood, terminal piece, spare wheel well, Rt. Head light, rear bumper and taillights and other stuff under the bumpers. The car does not leak anything.
Here’s where I’d like your input:
-Should I can buy back the car for 12 grand then fix it myself for about 7 grand
-Part it out
-Let it go and look for a newer one.
I think many of us have an emotional connection to our cars and it’s hard for me to let it go especially when I just replaced the IMS, RMS and put new tires and battery in it six months ago. I know it’s only metal, rubber and plastic but it’s my baby.
Here are some before and after pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	329049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	329050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	329051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1103.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	329053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	329054  

Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 PM
kent996 will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear that happen bro, I always saw this kind of accidents happened at 10 freeway, never know The 210 traffic is bad too. Anyway, you got no hurt is most important. Sent you a pm.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
It is the rare (non-existent) insurance company that overestimates how much it costs to repair a car. $7K now could turn into $14K or more when it is all said and done.

So my advise is to let the car go and look for another car. Be sure you make a case for getting as much as you can for your car. Low miles. Good condition. Etc.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Dish911 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to see that, take the money and look for another one. It hurts to let it go but once they crack into her there is a whole list of issue they may find... So agree with Macster it could soon lead to a higher bill and forget if you wanted to sell later as no one will pay good money for a write off....

Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 AM
c4s 2nv is on a distinguished road
Wow... Glad your ok! I live near pasadena, and traffic can come real quick on the 210 around lake.

I agree with the rest and let her go as a tip with a hit would be harder to sell later. Tips are already a turning point for most...

If u really love the car tho, just buy it back and piece it urself slowly. Use the insurance money on a down for another porsche. Nothing wrong with owning two!!!

Good luck!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm definitely leaning more towards taking the pay out and buying a newer Porsche.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Sorry to see that, but glad no one was hurt. I think you best choice would be to take the pay out. Did the airbags go off?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Airbags didn't go off but I did get a airbag malfunction light after the accident..Not good.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Glad you're ok.
Take the payout and look for another because once you start repairs you are most likely going to find a lot of other hidden issues.
If you don't get a fair amount from your insurance company go against the other drivers so you won't have any money out of pocket to replace. I think this would be a fairly easy case to make.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Wanna trade? I've been thinking of swapping a 3.6L into the Cayman.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM
No thanks, but if you want to buy it im open for offers. Im looking for a 2011 or 2012 Carrera S.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Coloradocurt is on a distinguished road
Rather than being too anxious to accept the first "total loss" offer the insurance company makes, you might want to wait to see if that "aching back" goes away.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
Was a beautiful car. I love the color!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
I agree with the group with taking the $$$ settlement the trick is nigociating a fair price and any of the mods you've done.
Salvage value is % 20 of low blue book if you wanted to part it out. it seems these cars like most are worth more as parts than a whole.
The engine and tranny are worth $15K if you find a buyer.
I had to look on auto trader and give (3) comparables to settle up with the insurance adjuster on a similar accident.
Good luck.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM
WDC 911 is on a distinguished road
First I'd go online to autotrader.com and do a search on your car with all of the options you have, miles, year and condition to establish whether or not the total loss is value accurate. If you cannot find a decent car to match the insurance claim payout then contact your insurance company to request them to revalue your car's worth.

Originally Posted by bjack69
Hey guys I need some input on which way I should go on my car. I have a 02 C4S with 42000 miles. Long story short, on January 3rd 2014 I was on the 210 fwy in Pasadena Ca. when traffic suddenly came to a stop. Unfortunately the 20 yr. old driving his dads 83 Chevy pick-up didn’t and plowed into the back of me and pushed me into the Toyota Pre Runner that was ahead of me. I’m fine but the car is not. He’s my dilemma; the insurance company has decided the car is a total loss but it can be fixed for much less than the insurance company quoted. The frame is straight, motor and trans shift and run smoothly, the quarter panels and doors are in perfect shape. The parts that took the hit are the front bumper and hood, terminal piece, spare wheel well, Rt. Head light, rear bumper and taillights and other stuff under the bumpers. The car does not leak anything.
Here’s where I’d like your input:
-Should I can buy back the car for 12 grand then fix it myself for about 7 grand
-Part it out
-Let it go and look for a newer one.
I think many of us have an emotional connection to our cars and it’s hard for me to let it go especially when I just replaced the IMS, RMS and put new tires and battery in it six months ago. I know it’s only metal, rubber and plastic but it’s my baby.
Here are some before and after pics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Total Loss