996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cost or difficulty to remove window tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Cost or difficulty to remove window tint

Does anyone know the approximate cost to have this done? Alternatively, is it easy to do yourself? I feel like the rear window could be a pain in the ***.

In Germany I have been forced by the TÜV to remove ALL my window tints :-( An idea of cost from the US or EU would both be helpful!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
You can do this yourself, however it's messy and time consuming. They sell a spray on liquid that helps to loosen the glue and as you peel back you spray.
I might suggest taking it to a professional to have this done, worth the money IMO.

Don't know the cost as I've never removed tint from any of my cars.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
You can do this yourself, however it's messy and time consuming. They sell a spray on liquid that helps to loosen the glue and as you peel back you spray.
I might suggest taking it to a professional to have this done, worth the money IMO.

Don't know the cost as I've never removed tint from any of my cars.
I figured it would be a pain in the ***, and I am having it done at a shop. I just wanted to get an idea of cost so I don't pay too much.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM
juanchi300 is on a distinguished road
A good way to remove the glue is with tuff stuff, the interior carpet cleaner.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM
icnurse11 is on a distinguished road
Removing Window tint

u can buy a steamer at Walmart and u can use that to remove it.. Search on Youtube using a Steamer..It is easy..

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
My local shop here in California charges $50 to remove all of my tints (four side windows and rear).

Old 03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Alabamatoy is on a distinguished road
I bought an F250 pickup with dangerously dark tinted windows. I removed the tint myself. It was fairly easy, used a razor-blade scraper to get the tint material started, then it just peeled off nicely.....leaving all the glue in place. I used the razor-blade to scrape the glue, and then cleaned it all up with paint thinner. The PO had tinted the windshield about halfway down. You cant tell the tint was ever there, except when the windows fog up....the previously tinted section fogs slightly differently than the part that was never tinted, but other than that its not discernable.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
As someone else mentioned, GET A STEAMER! If you take your time and steam properly, you won't have to clean up ANY glue! It just peels right off with the tint very easily!!

Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Alabamatoy is on a distinguished road
"take your time" is not advise that I seem able to employ! Seriously, the razor blade method did not take very long.

One point about the Porsches, you have to fool the door latch into signaling that the door is closed when its not, so that the windows will go all the way up....just don't forget that you have done this and try to shut the door, it will damage the catch mechanism.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alabamatoy
"take your time" is not advise that I seem able to employ! Seriously, the razor blade method did not take very long.

One point about the Porsches, you have to fool the door latch into signaling that the door is closed when its not, so that the windows will go all the way up....just don't forget that you have done this and try to shut the door, it will damage the catch mechanism.
How does that razor blade work around the defroster wires Seriously...I stripped all the windows in less than hour...taking my time. It was a two beer job No damage to rear window defroster and absolutely no chance of razor blade scratches.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by icnurse11
u can buy a steamer at Walmart and u can use that to remove it.. Search on Youtube using a Steamer..It is easy..
This. This is what most of the pro's do too.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
jwar is on a distinguished road
I used a steamer and it worked ok. You can just remove most of it with a razor blade and use Windex to dissolve the glue.
One word of caution. Be very careful around the rear defroster. Don't scratch those lines. If you do, it won't create heat on that line and will prevent the defroster from working. There is no fix.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
jwar is on a distinguished road
Also my installer quoted me $50 and I did it myself for some reason. If I were to do it again, I would just pay.