996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

fabspeed, whats the real deal from owners

Old 02-23-2014, 05:03 PM
qwerkycar is on a distinguished road
fabspeed, whats the real deal from owners

Hey 996 owners,

Long time reader, first time poster. I just picked up my first p-car, a 2003 C4S. arctic silver on black, 6-speed for the enquiring minds.
So, I'm hoping to get some real honest feedback from those that have purchased and installed fabspeed goodies. I am itching to pull the trigger on the full intake and the muffler delete. for a little over a thousand bucks it seems like a legit way to get some power and make it sound like the business. So how do the parts really pan out? any horror stories? how is fabspeed to deal with? is the muffler by-pass way to loud to actually use?
any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
The muffler bypass pipes are very loud. Some people say they are too loud,but I love mine. It makes the car sound like a beast. my car is not my daily driver so I can take it the 1-2 times a week that i take it out. As far as performance,it does take away power on the low end,you will get some gains on the high end though. Like most people will tell you,these motors are pretty much maxed out from the factory. Most add on's are for looks and sound. You MAY get some power gains but not likely. I've heard getting a tune and doing the intake plenum give some good gains. You also might want to look into getting a sprint booster to boost the throttle response. For the record I have Fabspeed bypass pipes with a K&N intake.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks, thats pretty consistent with what I have read so far. so the power claims are BS? fabspeed on their new fancy dancy site claims:
"Improves horsepower and torque by 23 whp and 45 ft-lbs"
This truly seems like pie-in-the-sky to me but I was thinking that even half that sounds like a great gain.

are you happy with the scream and the results of the by-pass and the K&N?

Rob

Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
You can't beat the sound. I've scared little kids and old lady's with it as well as gotten tons of compliments from hardcore gear heads. Some people will tell you to get a K&N drop in filter with the cap for the stock air box. Cheaper way to get the great sound. If you go with a oiled filter at all,make sure you wrap it in news paper for a day before you install it to soak up the extra oil. Not doing so could damage your MAF(mass airflow sensor).

Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Here is an old video of my car showing the exhaust sound.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
You can't beat the sound. I've scared little kids and old lady's with it as well as gotten tons of compliments from hardcore gear heads. Some people will tell you to get a K&N drop in filter with the cap for the stock air box. Cheaper way to get the great sound. If you go with a oiled filter at all,make sure you wrap it in news paper for a day before you install it to soak up the extra oil. Not doing so could damage your MAF(mass airflow sensor).
I have the comp intake and exhaust. This link will give you a pretty good idea of the sound. After the install I would say by the seat of my pants it feels a bit more torquey. The sound is awesome.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the videos. Both sound super sweet. I find my car is proper loud already so I think I'm gonna start with intake before going all out on the cup sounding exhaust. I've got old neighbours, I think they'd freak with the muffler by-pass.

Cheers,

Robp

Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
If you decide to go with the K&N drop in filter you only need to oil the intake side, this is where some people go wrong they oil both sides. You should also get the silicone air intake hose, I have this set-up and it sounds great, as I mentioned before you can hear the engine sucking in the air.
You may want to go the way of the Fisters aka PSE Hack, aka Gundo hack, you get a nice sound when accelerating hard but normal sound just driving.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I bought another one of their products (exhaust) and was totally dissatisfied. All I can say is Caveat Emptor!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Undercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond repute
pm sent !

Old 03-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Seems like fab speed stuff has a polarized clientele. The more I experience the stock car the more it grows in me. It's quick stock and sounds pretty sweet. Since I'm mired in the depths of winter I am going to continue to focus on an aesthetic reconditioning. Man porsche has thick paint, every panel is thick and consistent. Twice the depth of Lexus paint. Maybe a k&n will be my starting point for performance. Thanks for the feedback