996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need to go lower. Springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:30 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
Need to go lower. Springs?

Edit: Feel free to read the whole thread, but to make the story shorter, I settled on PSS9's, skip to Page 2 for review along with before and after pictures

Avid follower here on 6speed and signed up finally recently. Bought my 2002 Targa November 2013 w/ 52k miles and overly happy with the car. Just put a Misha Ducktail on the car and now with the more "aggressive" look, the 4x4 gap isnt doing it for me. Im looking to lower the car but also reduce some of the car's lean/body roll that it gets through turns.

My question is that I plan to go the coilover route Summer of 2015 but I need something to hold me over till than. I'm looking at obviously doing sway bars but also want to do springs. I've searched around the thread and can only really come across threads on the turbo's when it comes to springs and not on the NB or even the Targa.

Can anyone share their experience with either H&R or Techart along with any photos you may have ?

Last edited by dbTarga996; 12-02-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
If you are doing only springs go with H&R, lowers the car about an inch fron and rear. Then if you want put the Bilstein Sport shocks on and done. Alot of people have this set-up and like it quite a bit. No use using the springs for a year to only switch to coilovers IMO.
Check out Tire Rack, good CS and pricing.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 AM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
You can also do the ROW m030 kit from suncoast , 1,395.00 for shocks , springs and front and rear bars . It only lowers a 1/2" but will greatly improve performance . best bang for the buck.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Well that's the thing, it could be a year or it could be longer. I've heard a lot about the spring+shock combo, couldn't find info if its needed to get shocks for both front and rear or just rear?

I read the RoW made a huge improvement in handling but people could barely tell if it got lowered. I guess I'm looking for both form and function.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Well then go with the H&R Springs and be done until you get the coilovers. If you do the spring with the Bilstein shocks the price is about the same as coilovers.

Originally Posted by dbTarga996
Well that's the thing, it could be a year or it could be longer. I've heard a lot about the spring+shock combo, couldn't find info if its needed to get shocks for both front and rear or just rear?

I read the RoW made a huge improvement in handling but people could barely tell if it got lowered. I guess I'm looking for both form and function.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 AM
jacabean is on a distinguished road

you can also do the row kit with the H&R springs to get the lower ride height . The shocks that come with the kit are Bilstein and you will also get the larger roll bars . I believe it is still cheaper to go this route than buy everything in individual parts.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
I can't give you any insight on the h&r springs but it seems that you are set on a coilover kit in the future. If you are keen on aesthetics and the ability to adjust the ride quality to your taste then get the coilovers now. You wrong regret it and also the fact is everyone's taste is different both in form and function... so yes, you want the adjustability. I know you said to hold you until 2015 but I question why buy twice in such a short period of time.
I have the pss10 on a 99 and love them.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Will you be installing the Springs yourself? That would at least help cut down cost, if your going to get coilovers the following Summer. You will also need a alignment once they are installed. The H&R springs are going to lower your car aprox: 1.25in in the front and rear. We offer the H&R Springs and coilovers, the coilovers of course are a bit more then springs, but will cut cost in the long run just as sleek mentioned. For more information Click Here. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
Wait for coils IMO, springs are nice but installs and alignemnts and all that suck to do over and over and over.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Will you be installing the Springs yourself? That would at least help cut down cost, if your going to get coilovers the following Summer. You will also need a alignment once they are installed. The H&R springs are going to lower your car aprox: 1.25in in the front and rear. We offer the H&R Springs and coilovers, the coilovers of course are a bit more then springs, but will cut cost in the long run just as sleek mentioned. For more information Click Here. Let us know what you end up doing.

I doubt I'll be doing the spring install myself. Im starting to kind of lean to what everyone is saying about going straight to coilovers, do you guys have any insight on the HR street performance coilovers?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
I am running 30 mm H&R spirngs on my car, works great, and looks even greater

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	339507   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	339508  
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by silverfizz
I am running 30 mm H&R spirngs on my car, works great, and looks even greater

good looking cab !! I like exactly how it sits. how does it feel coming into corners? Bouncy at all?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
good looking cab !! I like exactly how it sits. how does it feel coming into corners? Bouncy at all?

thx!

Well, it is wery nice to drive, not that bouncy, feels "tight" and more secure. But ofc you can feel that the car is lower than original.

All over I would really recomend it!

Last edited by silverfizz; 02-26-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I doubt I'll be doing the spring install myself. Im starting to kind of lean to what everyone is saying about going straight to coilovers, do you guys have any insight on the HR street performance coilovers?
Personally for the price point of these, I don't think their is a better coilover out there. A lot people on various forums have used them and were very pleased. I have yet to hear a real negative thing. Some of the features are shown below.

H&R Street Performance Features:
- Mono-tube gas shock construction
- Progressive spring rate
- Lowers an average of 1.0 – 2.5 inches
- Adjustable ride height
- Superb ride quality

Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM
So I'm going to post an update to this, I went back and fourth with myself between coilovers and just springs. I was about to buy some H&R springs and within minutes was notified by a member that he had PSS9's available, so I pulled the trigger on them.

I plan to do the install myself, which will be exciting. I'll do another update once I receive and install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to go lower. Springs?