996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Going for a rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
dgjks glad you got your motor taken care of. Jason and Tim (at ufo) are both good guys.

Jason who was the primary Porsche engine builder at UFO and the guy building my motor has opened his own shop "9xx Motors".

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
dgjks is on a distinguished road
Yeah, not sure what happened with the. I talked to both of them, they just separated when I was researching. They seem to still collaborate. Tim talked about Jason in some conversations. I flipped a coin and went with Tim. Mostly because he paid shipping one way.

He said car is running perfect and drives great. He wants to put another hundred miles on it and I don't blame him since he is warrantying it from 2000 miles away. He is just checking some suspension things for me before it ships back.

I am ready to get it back. Driving a 4 ton truck as a daily driver in the deep snow didn't bother me, but now with some sun I want my Porsche back.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
RDykmans is on a distinguished road
I've been following your thread with interest. Your original cylinders/pistons were fine so all your motor needed was new rings? I'm assuming that was because the original had relatively low milage? Did he mention what the additional cost was to do pistons/cylinder linings as well?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM
jwar is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. My engine failed on me at 84k miles. Not the IMS. I saw a few MKI engines with reasonable miles for under 8k. There is even a 48k mile very clean one on CL for around 7500 in Tampa, FL right now.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Debated about used engine, but with install was about same cost

If the cylinders were bad there were two options. Used case halves or put in the nikisil ones from LN engineering. I think the cost is $4500 it there about but there is also up to a 12 week wait for them.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM
This is killing me. He is still testing the car. He said it is running warmer than other 996's he has done. The needle goes past the 0 on the 180 before all the fans kick on. He replaced the thermostat with a low temp thermostat and still does the same thing. That is how the car ran for me. In traffic would go a little past the 0. Oh well. Guess I will keep waiting.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dgjks
This is killing me. He is still testing the car. He said it is running warmer than other 996's he has done. The needle goes past the 0 on the 180 before all the fans kick on. He replaced the thermostat with a low temp thermostat and still does the same thing. That is how the car ran for me. In traffic would go a little past the 0. Oh well. Guess I will keep waiting.

I had the same issue with my car. Turned out to be my radiators in the front, all stopped with leaves, cigrettes, dirt and other crazy things.

I cleaned them and voila, all ok! You could allways try that, good luck!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Cleaned the radiators before the accident and didn't change anything. The hit a deer and got new bumper and radiator. Temp never changed. All fans always checked out. I wonder if some of the gauges are slightly off from others.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM
RDykmans is on a distinguished road
My 99 will go a tad past the 0 in stop/go type driving as well, more so now that the weather is warming up here. I've cleaned the radiators, serviced the cooling system, new water pump, checked the fans. I've got the 3rd radiator as well since I have a tip. From what I've seen that's fairly normal for these cars.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dgjks
. I wonder if some of the gauges are slightly off from others.
Easy to tell with Durametric or HVAC secret menu.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Everything checked out and car is set to be shipped back Wed.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

have fun and enjoy the "fresh" car!!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM
6 days and counting. Car decided to take another week vacation in Arizona. Hope it comes back tan.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 PM
3 hours and counting. Kind of feels like Christmas Eve waiting for Santa.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
I am excited for you man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going for a rebuild