996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

narrowing tire choices

Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 PM
n8np is on a distinguished road
narrowing tire choices

On my new, used, 911 (RWD Carrera, 996), I need tires before long. Stock 18" wheels.
Looking for opinions on how these cars respond to these tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DW, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, or Pirelli P Zero Rosso?

The price gap from the Conti's to the Bridgestones isn't too bad, but to the Pirellis is pretty significant. Any opinions? Advice? Other suggestions for a good all-rounder daily-driven summer tire for this car?

It's a daily driver, so I don't want to go too aggressive, but I want it to work properly too.
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
Get a set of Hankook Evo V12's Excellent tire and very reasonable, I've had em on my 997, my Boxster, as well as my XJL 5.0 Supercharged.

Last edited by wpgfordguy; 03-12-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM
bal
bal is on a distinguished road
I would talk to your local Porsche indy or better yet alignment place. Where you are and what conditions you drive in will affect your tire choice. I am in the rainy Pacific Northwest but I bought the car in Southern California so it has extreme performance summer tires on it - completely unsuitable for up here even in the summer because it will rain. So when the time comes to replace, I'm going with performance all seasons based on the recommendation of my local (trusted) alignment place.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please give me a call. I'm happy to discuss.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
SMKaz is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had experience with Conti DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) tires? Specifically want to know how they perform in rain and snow conditions. A tire dealer recommended installing them on my 1999 Carrera 4. Thank you for any input.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Since we replaced the factory Contis (which we didn't like) we've always used PS1s and been happy on our C4. We also run the all season version on our BMW and have been happy with them too.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 PM
bal
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Please give me a call. I'm happy to discuss.
Since you chimed in, I'll ask you this Tirerack question. On your website, you rightly point out Porsche's N-specification. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26
However, how can I tell when I'm looking at the tires on your site whether they are N-spec or not?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM
bal
Originally Posted by SMKaz
Has anyone had experience with Conti DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) tires? Specifically want to know how they perform in rain and snow conditions. A tire dealer recommended installing them on my 1999 Carrera 4. Thank you for any input.
No personal experience on a 911 but my alignment shop recommended the same. I will say that I had Contis (I think they were DWS or perhaps just DW) on a VW Touareg SUV and they didn't last. My wife drove it like it was a 911 and of course its much heavier weight would have helped rapid wear...

Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bal
No personal experience on a 911 but my alignment shop recommended the same. I will say that I had Contis (I think they were DWS or perhaps just DW) on a VW Touareg SUV and they didn't last. My wife drove it like it was a 911 and of course its much heavier weight would have helped rapid wear...
That's interesting. My experience with Conti car tires (OE on the 996 and on the BMW) has been very poor. Short life, loud, and uncomfortable (especially the RFTs on the BMW).

The Conti SUV tires I ran on my old Escape, however, were the best I found for it. Great ride, excellent traction, long life, and low noise. The OE Contis on my Cayenne have been pretty decent even though they (not at all shockingly) didn't handle a day of Auto-X very well. And yes (as evidenced by doing an Auto-X) I drive my SUVs hard

Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I have been very happy with the Kumho Ecsta, Have 5k on the set and the rears show very little wear, but it all depends on the alignment.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:22 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
I just put Conti DWS on mine. Unfortunately I have not been able to drive it yet... Tirerack.com has good info. Search the reviews for Porsche.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
Hankook V12's

Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
SMKaz is on a distinguished road
I took your advice - TireRack appears to be a great resource. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Pirelli's are over priced, Bridgestone Potenza were good but tire life on rear of my 996TT was about 6-7K, I had Conti's on my Jaguar, also not great tread life.

I'd give the the Hankook's a try for a lot less money and they have good reviews.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
I'm getting the Hankook's for my 19's. Heard nothing but good things about them. For the price,and how often you need tires on these cars,you can't beat it!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: narrowing tire choices