996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Like-minded drivers, what's your choice of family ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Of my car? Sure

Let's keep it classy.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roadsession
You are now going to have every male member on this forum demanding pics...
Yes indeed.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:35 PM
cheekybird is on a distinguished road
MB GL550 is a V* and way nice to drive....

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cheekybird
MB GL550 is a V* and way nice to drive....
I just checked out my neighbor's GL550 and WOW. It has all the bells and whistles to make hauling efficient, and the luxury... tops BMW and Q7. I have not driven it yet. This is not as easy as I thought.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Yes indeed.
Dropped the top.....

Backside view

That is all anyone is going to get.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	topdown.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	349109  
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
cheekybird is on a distinguished road
Mb gl450

Originally Posted by porschemama
Dropped the top.....

Backside view

That is all anyone is going to get.
Really the MB GL450 would suffice as well and may fall in your budget better! Thanks for the photo and happy shopping.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
You are now going to have every male member on this forum demanding pics...
Amazing how in the entire controlled anger script, you gents picked up on this one line and I can't seem to edit it out.

Roadsession- I managed to receive approval for long-term test drive from the dealership where we bought our Porsche and Audi. They have Q7s and traded in GLs to try out. Unfortunately, the BMWs are ******. I plan to go in person this weekend in my Porsche and stilettos then see what happens. Worst case, I find a Bimmer mom at soccer practice and offer to carpool exchange.

I know what your thinking... I drive in flats.

UPDATE: X5s must be popular. I received call backs from both dealerships apologizing for their rudeness. All 2013 & 2014s are sold out in 4 dealerships in NJ. 2015 are expected in June. The earliest model available to test drive is a 2008. Argh!

Last edited by porschemama; 03-20-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I never mentioned which SUVs I've driven when I was looking for 3row suv's.

My $.02: The Q7 didn't really offer anything special, nothing really barked at me. Mercedes GL400 series was really nice and as another poster said, felt solid like a typical German car.

The GL was on my short list too but ultimately my wife wanted something that drove like a car which basically meant an x5 or MDX.

The couple items that also were sticking points about the GL was the actual real world fuel economies my neighbors were getting which was 12mpg around town and the problematic air ride systems, not to mention the extra weight when cornering.

If utility, luxury, premium driving experience are your priorities in that order then the GL would be a very nice option.

OTOH, if car like ride and sports handling are on top, I'd have to give it to the x5 or MDX. Fwiw, the SH-AWD is what sets this apart as Acura doesn't merely use it for inclement weather traction on this thing but actually tunes it to help you corner in spirited driving and helps the SUV turn in. It was a bit unnerving at first I must admit to feel something unnatural helping you turn in but I've quickly got used to it. I'm pretty positive that part plays a big role in its car like manners.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
All 2013 & 2014s are sold out in 4 dealerships in NJ. 2015 are expected in June. The earliest model available to test drive is a 2008. Argh!
Even better excuse to do the European Delivery program should you decide to buy one. Pick it up and drive it around in Europe(including the "ring") and make a nice vacation out of it(just don't go into sone parts of Italy as the streets are too narrow for the SUV). If you want to go extra premium, commission one to be built via the BMW Individual program.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
I can't see an X5 at all in terms of size. The kids will only get bigger and the more passengers/kids and growth means plenty of cargo space needed.

While I'd rather go European myself, the Explorer Sport I mentioned with the Eco-boost V6 also offers seatbelt airbags, a nice feature.

Sometimes dealer location (nearby or other side of town) makes a big difference for the Mom-car too.

I think you don't understand what the OP means when she says 'handling', or when I say 'driving dynamics'. We're not talking about tracking the car. We're talking about how the car feels planted in corners and not leaning, how it feels planted on the road, not floating around at high way speeds, how it brakes linearly without diving.

If those characteristics are not important to you in your family hauler, then you are not the profile of buyer that would be interested in the list of SAV/SUV's being discussed (i.e. Cayenne, Touareg, X5, GL, ML), and you are sure to be plenty pleased with many other SUVs out there.
I get it, more refined, more European, superior driving dynamics.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I can't see an X5 at all in terms of size. The kids will only get bigger and the more passengers/kids and growth means plenty of cargo space needed.

While I'd rather go European myself, the Explorer Sport I mentioned with the Eco-boost V6 also offers seatbelt airbags, a nice feature.

Sometimes dealer location (nearby or other side of town) makes a big difference for the Mom-car too.

I get it, more refined, more European, superior driving dynamics.
Deuuuce, it’s all good. We’re all professionals here with an expensive hobby. I can’t exactly talk shop with Park Ave or soccer moms so I turn here, the track and PCA clubs for honest feedback and education. I swap my Prada bags for a car or motorbike helmet after sending kids off to school…

I’ve passed over the Explorer twice before, opting for the Expedition for hauling and Freestyle (nicknamed hot wagon). On the next oil change, I’ll check out the Sport. I’m open to suggestions. You make a good point about outgrowing the X5, but I think the 2 youngest have 4-5 years before getting there. By then my oldest will be driving my 996. My ideal family car would be the layout and feel of the Ford Freestyle with 150 more hps. Kids easily got in and out like a car, and walked backwards to the 3rd row rather than folding and jumping over seats. When 3rd and 4th kids were born, it had no get up and go on the short ramps or getting out of a jam. I thought about supercharging to an AMG-like status, but with 98k miles it seems fruitless and silly. Hence I’m back on the market.

-Marie

Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Even better excuse to do the European Delivery program should you decide to buy one. Pick it up and drive it around in Europe(including the "ring") and make a nice vacation out of it(just don't go into sone parts of Italy as the streets are too narrow for the SUV). If you want to go extra premium, commission one to be built via the BMW Individual program.
So we drove to Baltimore for the weekend in the 911, and realized a GL would be cumbersome to drive in the city. Most photoshoots are in lower NYC and while my DD is great in the city, it takes a beating no thanks to potholes and construction sites. In this regard, I agree with your wife- handling first. 12mpg? That’s worse than my Expedition!

European Delivery sounds very romantic and crossed my mind. The first time I rode in a Porsche was in my grandfather’s 911 in Murcia, Spain. The narrow roads without traffic lights, gorgeous mountainsides that eventually opened up to views of the Mediterranean, and cruising around Marbella….I was in love. BUT that would set us back from a C4S or Turbo in the near future since our Audi is on its last legs. I enjoy not having car payments and hope to get this cash so we’ll only need to manage a Turbo. I guess we’ll have to wait until June or shop out of state... an American version of the European driving vacation.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I guess we’ll have to wait until June or shop out of state... an American version of the European driving vacation.
This is called picking it up in the Spartanburg plant where they make the x5's and getting a tour and being able to flog it around the track before driving it back home.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by cheekybird
Really the MB GL450 would suffice as well and may fall in your budget better! Thanks for the photo and happy shopping.
I agree, with respect to price and size, especially in city driving. I have to look for a dealership with both 350 and 450 in stock to minimize running around. Glad you like the pic. I didn't want to dissappoint.

This is called picking it up in the Spartanburg plant where they make the x5's and getting a tour and being able to flog it around the track before driving it back home.
Sounds like you've done this before. I wonder if I can test drive their i8 on the track while there (insert evil smile). Sounds like a plan. Maybe make a vacation out of it at the OBX and get a beach house. Put it to work right away!

Thank you all for the generous feedback. Feeling confident in narrowing my choices and make this shopping efficient. Now that the sun is out, 70 degs.... time to go out for a ride

Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 PM
This is out of control. Left NJ and now in Baltimore. I had the last open appointment at a BMW dealership with the last X5 with 3rd in stock. Even arrived early. By the time I got there, the car was sold! WTH? Is this car really that good?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Like-minded drivers, what's your choice of family ride?