996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Like-minded drivers, what's your choice of family ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
I have a full size chevy conversion van. We use it for road trips and aroujd town when a full crew is present. 3 rd row and TONS of storage behind the rear seat. Avg 18 mpg hwy, and about 15 in town.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhthornley
I have a full size chevy conversion van. We use it for road trips and aroujd town when a full crew is present. 3 rd row and TONS of storage behind the rear seat. Avg 18 mpg hwy, and about 15 in town.

Ahh yes, the Flip mobile aka Spam-can in NJ. It is standard issue with Filipinos fully equipped with 19" tv and satellite for $85k. Unfortunately, we have an old Expedition to fit that need once or twice a year. Once the party bus in college, now the family bus to go long distance. I'm looking for a "Porsche" that can fit 6 for a family DD. I appreciate the thought though, and a conversion van did cross our minds.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 AM
996Ray is on a distinguished road
Family of 3....my 99 996 is my family car.....and my daily driver....I drive a 911 every day, and it is one of the best parts of my day!!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by alpine003
I've gotten the previous generation and it has been solid. The 2014 is actually narrower due to soccer moms previously complaining on how hard it was to park the older version. but it is longer and have sliding second row. They also went down on power and displacement to up the gas mileage. Sorry but can't comment on the 2014 other than a quick test drive and inspection which yielded nothing spectacular compared to the previous generation to warrant almost a double in pricing which I couldn't justify.
I did not include MDX on our list for that reason. I know of 2 people who brought back their new purchases for that reason. The Q7 has the sliding 2nd row too but like MDX, a major overhaul look for the new generation 2015. Not liking a beta version of anything.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by 996Ray
Family of 3....my 99 996 is my family car.....and my daily driver....I drive a 911 every day, and it is one of the best parts of my day!!!!
Rub it in!

My 996 is my daily and love it. Problem is, kids love it too especially dropping the top when I pick them up from school (4th still at home with nanny). My town is family friendly and driving enthusiasts. All Ferraris here are Californias; Porsches are 911s or Cayennes; soccer Coach carpools kids in a Bentley; Sunday post dinner snacks at Rita's ice cream is the spot to get ice cream with kids in our Sunday drives: Maclarens, Ferraris, Porsches, R8s... we eat at the picnic tables because we can't crap up the interiors.

There is an option for his and hers 911.... hmmmm

Last edited by porschemama; 03-19-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
I had a bad experience owning my b7 audi a4. the 2.0T drove me crazy with the clicking noise ( it only had 47k miles) and was told by audi it was normal. I no longer own that car and wont be going back to an audi. This may not be the issue with the Q7.

My daily driver right now is an 07 f250. I know this isnt on your list but its a extended cab with a huge amount of leg room. Its a short bed as well. It works nice when my buddies and I have road trips due to the huge amount of room and the fact that noone can get comfy in the back of my targa . My dogs also dont mind it either.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 PM
roadsession is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porschemama
AMG & p80...I love the way you think! Pic shows kids calling bids for the rear facing seats. I really wanted one so the kids can wave peace out to the cars we fly by at ~500mph but husband refuses to pay 6 figs for a wagon. Wish the RS6Avant was available on this side of the ocean but alas...

Per roadsession's enthusiastic feedback on top of yours, I will be testing out the X5. Thank you! BTW, nice gold rims.
Remember - it may take a while, but ask a couple dealers around town - put a refundable deposit down, take the x5 home for a day or two. That's the only way to know. The 15 mins test drive is bullsh*t

Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Franco67 is on a distinguished road
I have a 02 463 Mercedes G500 for our 2 French bulldogs LOL...

Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Handling performance in an SUV for anything other than you and a passenger sounds like a weird proposition with children in the vehicle. Especially since none of the other 4-5 seats will have anywhere near the support of the front two. It sounds disturbing, to put it bluntly.

My brother-in-law has a Ford Explorer Sport. Near as I can tell its excellent and roomy. I do not recommend any other model Explorer. The front seats suck for "handling".

For hauling family during reunions, weddings, etc. we rent a minivan and it is the best in terms of utility and comfort. Also with one seat folded down, it seats 6 and has lots of storage.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 03-19-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Handling performance in an SUV for anything other than you and a passenger sounds like a weird proposition with children in the vehicle. Especially since none of the other 4-5 seats will have anywhere near the support of the front two. It sounds disturbing, to put it bluntly.

My brother-in-law has a Ford Explorer Sport. Near as I can tell its excellent and roomy. I do not recommend any other model Explorer. The front seats suck for "handling".

For hauling family during reunions, weddings, etc. we rent a minivan and it is the best in terms of utility and comfort. Also with one seat folded down, it seats 6 and has lots of storage.
I think you don't understand what the OP means when she says 'handling', or when I say 'driving dynamics'. We're not talking about tracking the car. We're talking about how the car feels planted in corners and not leaning, how it feels planted on the road, not floating around at high way speeds, how it brakes linearly without diving.

If those characteristics are not important to you in your family hauler, then you are not the profile of buyer that would be interested in the list of SAV/SUV's being discussed (i.e. Cayenne, Touareg, X5, GL, ML), and you are sure to be plenty pleased with many other SUVs out there.

Last edited by roadsession; 03-19-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by roadsession
I think you don't understand what the OP means when she says 'handling', or when I say 'driving dynamics'. We're not talking about tracking the car. We're talking about how the car feels planted in corners and not leaning, how it feels planted on the road, not floating around at high way speeds, how it brakes linearly without diving.

If those characteristics are not important to you in your family hauler, then you are not the profile of buyer that would be interested in the list of SAV/SUV's being discussed (i.e. Cayenne, Touareg, X5, GL, ML), and you are sure to be plenty pleased with many other SUVs out there.
Thank you, once again Roadsession. Well said. I hope people noticed my signature line which clearly states Expedition. My husband is a physician so safety is a concern, a concern also shared by the line of fine cars mentioned above. No tickets, no accidents.

Sure I could buy a Town & Country but I'm not a mom-jeans kind of girl. Before the kids, I was a Hawaiian Tropics model (hence the multitude of offspring). Anyway, anger aside, I appreciate the concern. I will make sure I have the safety add on of $3,000 on my next suv.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Although pricey, I've heard great things about the MB GL63 AMG.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:26 PM
dbTarga & Franco67, pups are family too. Our 07 A4 has been fun, closing in on 100k driven hard (cross country, Sandy, Gustav, NYC). I guess we're partial to Audi as we're Audi sport fans of McNish, Rocky, and now Porsche w Webber, Dempsey and 2 former Audi drivers

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM
White Rock, Alpine mentioned AMG earlier. Husband refuses to go over $100k on family ride. More like a $80k max. He had eyes on a C4s when the Audi retires.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by porschemama
. Before the kids, I was a Hawaiian Tropics model
You are now going to have every male member on this forum demanding pics...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Like-minded drivers, what's your choice of family ride?