996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Like-minded drivers, what's your choice of family ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gramps
I just joined the forum so I will probably make a few mistakes along the way. Using the handle Gramps because I am one twice over, grandkids are more fun than their parents were. I will list my current rides below starting with the family sedan. Pictures will come once I figure it out how to load them.

family sedan-2006 Mercedes AMG S65
family sports car- 2004 Porsche Cab 4S
family work car 2004 GMC Envoy XUV
my personal ride-2008 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
Welcome Gramps! Would love to see your Pcar and Harley! My grandpappy is 81 and still drives his Porsche! He's had Ferraris and James Bond tech Lambos so he greatly influenced my passion for cars. Also, I'm a rookie here too

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
theclutch is on a distinguished road
Had a BMW X5 with the 4.8 engine. The problem is, with 3 kids, there's not much room for anything else. Sold it for an Infiniti JX/QX60. Great SUV wanna-be minivan; but not quite a minivan. It seats 7 comfortably (no 6 footers in the 3rd row). We also considered the Mercedes GL. But by the time we put in the options we wanted, it was close to $100k. The Infiniti was $47k with everything (tech package). We also considered the Infiniti QX80, but the second row wouldn't slide - making the 3rd row tighter than it should be and the 2nd row unnecessarily too roomy. Had the 2nd row been able to slide back and forth, we would have gotten this instead of the JX/QX60. If price was no object, then the MB GL with all the bells and whistles.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by theclutch
Had a BMW X5 with the 4.8 engine. The problem is, with 3 kids, there's not much room for anything else. Sold it for an Infiniti JX/QX60. Great SUV wanna-be minivan; but not quite a minivan. It seats 7 comfortably (no 6 footers in the 3rd row). We also considered the Mercedes GL. But by the time we put in the options we wanted, it was close to $100k. The Infiniti was $47k with everything (tech package). We also considered the Infiniti QX80, but the second row wouldn't slide - making the 3rd row tighter than it should be and the 2nd row unnecessarily too roomy. Had the 2nd row been able to slide back and forth, we would have gotten this instead of the JX/QX60. If price was no object, then the MB GL with all the bells and whistles.
I agree, GL toys would break $100k mark at which my husband would say--- it's cutting into the R8 budget! I have my eyes on a 2 yo S Line Q7 for $49k right now. We'll see if I can sell him on it.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschemama
I have my eyes on a 2 yo S Line Q7 for $49k right now. We'll see if I can sell him on it.
I doubt you can hang on but they officially confirmed the x7 which will have the added 3rd row leg room, but by then, you might not need it. Suppose to "start" at $60k but I'm sure a decent optioned example will run closer to $80k with all the bells and whistles.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...suv-2014-03-31

Nice, anytime! Next time I'm in Chi-town, drinks are in order.
For sure!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
I doubt you can hang on but they officially confirmed the x7 which will have the added 3rd row leg room, but by then, you might not need it. Suppose to "start" at $60k but I'm sure a decent optioned example will run closer to $80k with all the bells and whistles.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...suv-2014-03-31

For sure!
"Expect the X7 to arrive with BMW's supernaturally brilliant 3.0-litre triple turbo diesel - the ‘M50d' - producing 381bhp and 545lb ft of torque as it does in the X5/X6, along with the standard 3.0-litre diesel and range-topping 4.4-litre V8. And how about - dare we say it - the 6.0-litre V12 from the 750/760Li?"

Switching from quattroworld to bimmerworld is like changing religion, you know that right? Tempting. Maybe if big bertha can hold out a little longer, that 7series engine would be attainable.

Great find! Thank you

Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 PM
porsche911 is on a distinguished road
well... It is always necessary to have "another" car/SUV to help you out with the "chores".
For that reason, I have '10 Land Cruiser. Reliable beast. Good quality engine. Needs maintenance only every 15-20 thousand KMs. Already 150000 on milage since bought new.

And to make things more interesting, I chose this one to be Diesel Engine. I have to say, that it never disappointed me. Best thing, it can go through desert heat, sand storms, water puddles that would have small cars worried... Above all GREAT AC. Very important for summer heat of 50 C!!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 PM
AA717driver is on a distinguished road
I don't have much to haul so my 3-series wagon works. The GF, however has an X5 that will haul 6 comfortably with room for groceries/gear.

TC

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Neto is a jewel in the roughNeto is a jewel in the roughNeto is a jewel in the roughNeto is a jewel in the rough
We have a 2008 Audi Q7 Premium and we love it. Plenty of space, luxury interior and very comfortable. Now it makes around 18mpg so its a gas pig.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Neto
We have a 2008 Audi Q7 Premium and we love it. Plenty of space, luxury interior and very comfortable. Now it makes around 18mpg so its a gas pig.
Thanks, Neto, the 2nd +1 for Q7! I think it's the perfect middle ground between MB and Bimmers. I was impressed seeing one of the dads at a soccer game floor his S Line and hearing the engine, wow! Fortunately it won't be a DD as far as gas consumption... just away games and weekend mom-warrior stints.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by AA717driver
I don't have much to haul so my 3-series wagon works. The GF, however has an X5 that will haul 6 comfortably with room for groceries/gear.
TC
Thanks, but I tested the X5 "packing capability" and could not hold the lawnchairs, tent plus sport equipment for a single trip. Per Alpine003's link above, I could wait for the X7 4.4 engine if my current wagon can hold out longer

Originally Posted by porsche911
For that reason, I have '10 Land Cruiser. Reliable beast. Good quality engine. Needs maintenance only every 15-20 thousand KMs. Already 150000 on milage since bought new.

And to make things more interesting, I chose this one to be Diesel Engine. I have to say, that it never disappointed me. Best thing, it can go through desert heat, sand storms, water puddles that would have small cars worried... Above all GREAT AC. Very important for summer heat of 50 C!!
Agreed. I have a 1997 Expedition for the dirty work like ski trips but a pain for normal chores (afraid I'd back up over a pee wee team and not realize it). Besides nothing about says sexy either, LOL! Q7 does come diesel, but not in the larger engine option.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
We just bought an Audi SQ5 for my wife as a replacement for her 2004 Cayenne S. We're keeping the Cayenne for my winter vehicle. The Cayenne will also see some off-road action for fishing and hunting trips. Loving the SQ5 so far!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	872.6 KB
ID:	359948  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
We just bought an Audi SQ5 for my wife as a replacement for her 2004 Cayenne S. We're keeping the Cayenne for my winter vehicle. The Cayenne will also see some off-road action for fishing and hunting trips. Loving the SQ5 so far!
Hi Dennis, how have you been? She's a lucky lady and yes, I've heard an SQ5 peel out! Both Cayenne and SQ5 would be great if we were one person short. But I'm just trying to remind myself this will be an occasional use vehicle and I can always jump in my 911 for "spirited driving."

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Found 8 seater!

Pulled the trigger... none of the SUVs listed in the OP.... Its an 8 seater Porsche capacity that makes husband and wifey VERY happy

Also posted pics on the turbo forum. The hot wagon will stay

-Tuned up to 700hp
- CF steering wheel, dash, center console, door handles, even "Turbo" on the rear
- Blacked out kicks and light covers
- Audio and touch screen mods I could only dream of
- Invisible radar/jammer
and more I haven't soaked in yet

Ridiculous find

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	porscheback.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	365558   Click image for larger version

Name:	turborear.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	365561   Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	365563   Click image for larger version

Name:	handbreak.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	365564  

Last edited by porschemama; 04-24-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 PM
theclutch is on a distinguished road
... Its an 8 seater Porsche capacity that makes husband and wifey VERY happy

That doesn't even make any sense.... 8 seater what? You posted pics of a turbo. Unless you're just fishing for comments to which I just took a bite.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by theclutch
That doesn't even make any sense.... 8 seater what? You posted pics of a turbo. Unless you're just fishing for comments to which I just took a bite.
Sorry I wasn't clear. We now have a his and hers 911, which each seats 4 so.... Girls ride w me and boys ride w him.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Like-minded drivers, what's your choice of family ride?