996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

HELP! Cab top stuck open.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 PM
lgl314 is on a distinguished road
HELP! Cab top stuck open.

1999, 911, C2, Cabriolet, new to me. Here's what happened. Trying to find the best way to get to the top mounting nuts for the rear shocks. Opened top with windows down, engine running, e-brake set. Pushed left side of dash switch, top opened smoothly, I released the switch with top half way open. Got out of car to see if the top mount of the shock was visible, nope. Rear deck cover was/is fully open. Got back in car and pushed switch to complete opening, top folded into body, deck cover stayed open. Over the next hour I tried to both open and close the top using the switch, no luck. Even had the wife operate the switch while I tried to manually move the deck cover and the top. With only key on, engine not running and pressing the switch open/close, some type of electric motor sound can be heard. The top was newly installed in Dec., I ran the top open and closed once since I got the car in late Dec., it ran smoothly. I am so frustrated with this problem . . . this and any top issue looks to be very complicated . . . and expensive . . . I'm 2+ hours from a P-car dealer. Sure hope this is something simple! I tried Rentech, nada. HELP! Larry

Old 03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Howaboutthat is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lgl314
1999, 911, C2, Cabriolet, new to me. Here's what happened. Trying to find the best way to get to the top mounting nuts for the rear shocks. Opened top with windows down, engine running, e-brake set. Pushed left side of dash switch, top opened smoothly, I released the switch with top half way open. Got out of car to see if the top mount of the shock was visible, nope. Rear deck cover was/is fully open. Got back in car and pushed switch to complete opening, top folded into body, deck cover stayed open. Over the next hour I tried to both open and close the top using the switch, no luck. Even had the wife operate the switch while I tried to manually move the deck cover and the top. With only key on, engine not running and pressing the switch open/close, some type of electric motor sound can be heard. The top was newly installed in Dec., I ran the top open and closed once since I got the car in late Dec., it ran smoothly. I am so frustrated with this problem . . . this and any top issue looks to be very complicated . . . and expensive . . . I'm 2+ hours from a P-car dealer. Sure hope this is something simple! I tried Rentech, nada. HELP! Larry

If you stop opening or closing the top partway through, you have to start the car to continue the process.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 AM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Does the clam shell open in the back? If that open but the top doesn't come up to close,you're probably out of hydraulic fluid for the top. It's a very common problem on these,and very easy to fill. The pistons for the top tend to leak over time. I went about 4 years with filling the fluid before i changed my pistons. Here is a link to the DIY. You may need to donate,but you should help out this sites like 6speed and others that run for free and help us all save money. Good Luck .

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-step-by-step/

Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
LARRY>>>> You do realize that you can open and close the top via your key in the door lock? Turn and HOLD to right for close and visa versa. Try that. Also your battery takes a hammering using that top without the car running and you need a fully charged battery for it to complete the open/close cycle to the windows going up or down on completion. Good idea always to lock the car when not in use as this action takes less from the battery then it does when the car is unlocked. When you can see under the back window carpeting or cover. Check both sides of all working parts of the hood to see they mirror match each other. I had parts missing/fallen off on one side. Flaps not closing properly. Put a touch of grease on the clam shell latch and receiver part. Convertible tops can be a PITA. I have a 99 Convertible. Now it works correctly but didn't at one time. Good luck mate you will need it.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
As Hurdigurdiman said, the key can be used to open/close the top. I've seen the top not operating properly from the switch but working fine from the door key. As also stated, doing a lot of top opening without the engine running will deplete the battery.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
jloehlein is on a distinguished road
Check the fluid level when you can. Also, there are a bunch of sensors and switches that will keep the top from operating. I had the same issue with the top on my wife's 996 and got it to operate with the key in the door (not sure why that worked). Checked the fluid level and it was low, so I added some more and it's been fine since (knock on wood).

Old 04-07-2014, 10:36 PM
LiketheMonth is on a distinguished road
When you pull the e-brake up does the "brake" light on the cluster come on? If it does not the e-brake switch is bad, not allowing the cab top work.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 AM
bal
bal is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LiketheMonth
When you pull the e-brake up does the "brake" light on the cluster come on? If it does not the e-brake switch is bad, not allowing the cab top work.
I had this. I dropped a bit of CLP lubricant onto the plastic switch plunger and alles ist gut.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:19 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bal
I had this. I dropped a bit of CLP lubricant onto the plastic switch plunger and alles ist gut.
I'm intermittently having this issue. How do you gain access to the switch plunger? To put it another way, where is it?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 PM
bal
bal is on a distinguished road
Wyovino - I saw you got a response from Loren over at Renntech. Did that help?
I don't actually remember what it all looked like under the console. I liberally sprayed CLP (sold for cleaning firearms) over the bottom of the handbrake where the switch is located. I also bought a new switch just in case but so far so good...

Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
lgl314 - you got lost of great suggestions, what worked?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM
lgl314 is on a distinguished road
Cab fix

Hey Denver. . . Wow, a lot has transpired since the Cab top fix. I'll list the problems I found with the fixes and vendors I used.
Top would't close . . . Renntech shows how to get at operating 'stuff' under Cab clamshell. Used manual open and close procedure.
Pump low on oil due to leaking PS cylinder, replaced both cylinders with rebuilds from Cabriolet Hydraulics, great vendor, good instructions!
Broken rear plastic flap hinge point, repaired hinge with wrapped wire, works fine.
Broken PS clamshell hinge leg, ordered used clamshell hinge assembly from Oklahoma Foreign, good vendor, deals with mostly Porsche used parts, reasonable prices.
Renntech helped with all repair instructions, except hinge.
Cloth covered plastic part over roll bars was badly broken, bought new part from dcAutomotive, pretty expensive.
Cabriolet Hydraulic's requires that the replaced cylinders be sent back to them with in a week, no big deal, reuse their packaging. They even provided the correct type and amount of hydraulic fluid for the fix.
All of the electronics functioned correctly, after making all of the repairs top works fine . . . never used dealer service . . . pretty lucky. If the top controls were out of sync, I would have needed dealer help.
Best hint was to remove rear speakers to inspect and reach base of cylinders. Repairs not difficult, mostly tedious, follow instructions carefully. All work could be done in a weekend if all parts are available. I now have a complete understanding of how the top works.

Last edited by lgl314; 06-25-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Super. Good to hear.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 AM
MrOz is on a distinguished road
I have basically the same thing happening to my '99 cab.
The top is stuck in the down position. I can push the button on the dash to get it to go up. Here's what happens: Side cover pieces fold down, clamshell goes back, now the top should start going up... but it doesn't. I hear the faint clicking of relays (I'm guessing) from down inside the rear quarter windows. They do not move (up or down). That's it.
I can push the button again and make the top go down. Or I should say clamshell and side little fold down covers. They WILL go back down.

I'm figuring this is something kinda easy. Like a bad relay? Whatever's supposed to happen next after the clamshell moves all the way back, and the top is now supposed to move up/forward... is NOT happening. Anybody??

UPDATE: This morning I took a closer look at the situation. The flap that lowers on the passenger side, was stuck. Instead of dropping down like the drivers side did, the passenger sides flap was stuck on something. Easy fix.

Last edited by MrOz; 01-25-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
When you get these tops in the half way position. Don't be afraid to spray a little WD40 on the working parts..ie:- hinges and cables and moving arms. Double check everything on each side to see that they look the same. Things fall off one side. Pins fall out. Spray under the moving flaps. Nothing ventured nothing gained.