996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cab Top "Oxidizing"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
philthy57 is on a distinguished road
Cab Top "Oxidizing"?

Hey guys,

2004 996 Cab that came with a "granite silver" top, but it's kinda tan overall now. It doesn't "bead up" when you wash it, so the previous owner didn't apply any sort of conditioner. I'm an aircraft mechanic on Boeing 737s, so this soft top stuff is new to me! There are a few places on the top that still look kinda grey (around the hinge points).

I'm not looking into tinkering at the moment and may ask a body shop when I get it detailed to get out the minor scratches on the paint, etc. but thought I'd throw out the question to you experienced folks. I'm OK with the color for now, but the girlfriend is being a bit **** LOL!

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm real tempted to scrub away, but I don't want to go overboard! I'd appreciate any replies....

Phil

Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
It's normal for the top to get more sun bleached from UV, but yours is definitely more bleached than any I've seen. The color may be due at least partly to wax or other substances getting on it from the body, so starting with just a really good wash is where you want to start before doing that.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-01-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM
bal
bal is on a distinguished road
Don't scrub it! If yours is graphite grey then it apparently wears poorly. I have a 2002 graphite grey and I'm currently getting a new top put on. My detail shop took a look at it and determined that it was beyond any kind of treatment. The car spent most of its life in AZ and SoCal desert and I see that you're in NM so similar conditions. My top looked like it had been power washed and scrubbed to within an inch of its life. None of those are good practice. You could try some Raggtop or 303 products that are specially for canvas tops. FYI the new top including installation is around $2k up here in the Seattle area.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bal
Don't scrub it! If yours is graphite grey then it apparently wears poorly. I have a 2002 graphite grey and I'm currently getting a new top put on. My detail shop took a look at it and determined that it was beyond any kind of treatment. The car spent most of its life in AZ and SoCal desert and I see that you're in NM so similar conditions. My top looked like it had been power washed and scrubbed to within an inch of its life. None of those are good practice. You could try some Raggtop or 303 products that are specially for canvas tops. FYI the new top including installation is around $2k up here in the Seattle area.
Why not try washing it (or anything else you can think of?) if you're going to end up replacing it anyway to get a match?

I'm definitely against power washing it. That's not good for any part of your car with how it drives dirt, grime, oils, and everything else into every little nook and cranny! Gentle washing is always best. Power washing is just a lazy man's substitute for a little effort.....

Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
As mentioned, wash with mild soap and water, let it dry and put a conditioner on it. BMW maks a good one and so does Sunbrella.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
philthy57 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll try washing it when I get the time. The carfax showed it was an Illinois car up until 2008/9, then Colorado until last summer. I'll definately get some protectant to keep it limping along, but have pretty much decided a new top will have to go on the list.

Phil

Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM
bal
Old top:

New top:

You can see how the old top color lightened considerably. What you can't see well is the wear caused by scrubbing and power washing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bl4v.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	354500   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-02094414-1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	354501  
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 PM
roadsession is on a distinguished road
what top did you buy and from where...and what did it cost you...did they reuse your headliner and glass?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM
bal
Originally Posted by roadsession
what top did you buy and from where...and what did it cost you...did they reuse your headliner and glass?
I spoke to a bunch of places local to me (there are three recommended upholstery places that all advertise in the local Porsche Club of America magazine) and got quotes ranging between $1500 and $2k. The glass and headliner were reused. I initially thought that the headliner might need replacing because it looked like it had some tears when I inspected it while the top was in its service position. However, the shop owner told me that some cuts/tears are actually part of the design for folding. My headliner did need to re-stitching and some new velcro since the driver's side rear had detached from the frame.

The lowest cost place would have me order the top online and have it drop shipped to them. As a result, they would warrant the work but not the top since that would be through the seller of the top. The most expensive place wanted a week to do the work. The place I chose that was closest to me, recommended by my local indy and detail shop, does lots of work for Barrier Porsche (across the street). They used a GAHH top and did the work in two days. The top must not be opened for two weeks so that the fabric can stretch. With tax, the total was about $2150 and both the top and the installation are covered by the warranty. As part of the top installation, they also tune up the mechanism and I've noticed fewer creaks and rattles in the 2 hours I've had the car back. Link to their website: http://www.sunmarkup.com