996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Everybody thought I was crazy.... but I was right!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 AM
gurukid is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Everybody thought I was crazy.... but I was right!

Hey guys.

If you want to help, skip the story, it's just entertainment hahaha.

In September I took my Porsche to a "master tech" in SW Florida to get the IMS installed. After I got it back I knew it didn't drive the same. Everybody thought I was nuts, they said things like "you're crazy" or "you don't drive it often enough to know how it feels"... My feelings were hurt. I kept thinking to myself, "maybe I really am crazy", or "maybe I should just leave it alone and drive the damn thing", but I couldn't. I started to notice all of my relationships were beginning to deteriorate. I couldn't sleep at night, I couldn't function during the day, my baby was sick, and I needed to fix her. I lost my job due to my lack of attention, and I almost broke up with my fiancee of 8 years. We had to postpone our wedding due to my lack of interest in life as I knew it.

I hadn't put more than 50 miles on my 996 since September. I was scared to drive it. I felt like the damn thing was going to explode. Non of my friends regularly drive a Porsche, in fact most have never been in one, but they all knew I was crazy. Nobody wanted to listen when I explained the mechanic must have done the most wreck less thing anybody can do. So I let it be, my 996 became a garage queen. I decided to take the body apart and start wrapping it, heck, it might as well look nice if it's going to sit in the garage forever! People said I was nuts, THEY TRIED TO LOCK ME UP. So what did I do? I took the damn car back to the mechanic finally and told him what was going on....

I bet you're wondering what the mechanic did (or didn't do in this case)?. What if I told you the mechanic didn't bolt the engine back up to the chassis? What if I told you when I drove, the entire rear end of the car was being pushed by the motor and transmission? Imagine rolling in 6th, tapping the gas, and BOOM, as soon as you let off the gas your car lunges another 3 feet forward from the entire engine moving forward... Would you believe me? Even if you felt it, like most, you'd probably just chalk it up to bad motor mounts or something..... That wasn't the case.

End of story.
------------------

Here's the issue:

Last Thursday I took my 996 back to our local German car mechanic. This dude has all the certificates, comes highly regarded, and apparently attended some program in Germany to become officially certified as a German mechanic - great. I explained to him that my engine was rocking back and forth, jumping up and down, and that driving the car scared **** out of me. I then explained to him that I hadn't put more than 50 miles on it since the IMS was updated to LN, so even though it has been over 6 months, it had to be a result of the IMS retrofit. He decided to look at it.

Fast forward to today, I received a call from his front desk, all is well. Imagine this, the lady had explained to me that he had forgotten to tighten some nuts and bolts to keep the engine in, and that he has since tightened them all, and the car is driving normally again. When she told me this, I was livid, she was totally unemotional, non-apologetic, and lacked any sort of care in regards to the issue. She did however offer to stay open late so I could pick it up - too bad I was at dinner, I'll get it tomorrow.

In short, I drove my 996 for roughly 50 miles with a loose engine, literally loose. I imagine he tightened some things, that's why the engine didn't fall out, but even his shop admitted that they had forgotten to tighten all the "nuts and bolts" as they said.

Not knowing much about flat 6 engines, and imagining this cannot be good for any engine, do you think there could be any potential issues that might arise in the near or far future from driving it while loose? When I pick it up, I'm going to put my iPhone on record and have them explain to me again what they forgot to tighten, so I have proof. I did not drive it hard as I was scared to, so no worries about that.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 AM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
Ok. First of all, fiance for almost 8 years? It's almost a contradiction it terms! Second. Check the laws of your state BEFORE recording someone. Many states are "two party" states requiring both parties to be informed if a conversation is being recorded. If you did it here in CA, you would be committing a felony. No kidding. Even if you are in a two party state, the laws can be a bit unclear. A better choice is a witness who is paying attention. Third. Document document document on the paperwork before picking the car up what their findings were. Don't let them get way with a nondescript explanation of the problem. Look at the explanation of the problem on the paperwork as if you are the judge in the small claims case. Would it be sufficient to find them liable? Lastly. Don't take their word for it. Lastly. Spend a few bucks and have a PPI on the car at another shop. Point out to them your experience so they can view that area more critically. I suggest the PPI because if these characters have been you shop then what else have they boned up. Think of it like a "physical" for your car. Oh, yeah, always trust your gut and not your non-P car driving friends. When something feels off, it's probably off. Cheers

Last edited by alanwestport; 04-29-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I agree with alanwestport re: the recording. Check your state's law regarding that.
Get the shop to note it on your service receipt that they tightened up loose bolts that they failed to tighten the first time. If you can get that in writing, you're just as good as having a recording.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
You could easily get the shop notes, send an e-mail requesting such and in the e-mail have them explain what the problem was. This way you have it writing from them.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
gurukid is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great advice, I went ahead and got the notes while I was there. It was funny, there was giant writing in red marker saying "DO NOT CHARGE!", figures... I drove it, feels like the old 996 again, so I'm happy. My only concern is something happening down the road. I mean, in all honesty, even though they said they tightened the bolts, I figured maybe I was still crazy and my motor mounts were in fact going bad - that wasn't the case... The engine is fully bolted to the chassis and it's not kicking around at all.. I still cannot believe that happened, never seen anything like this. To make matters worse, my father in laws SL was fully rebuilt, now his AC doesn't work, his trans is leaking, and he has an oil leak... Amazing. Meanwhile, this guys shop is fully loaded with benzs and porsches waiting to be fixed. Reputation should not be a factor when looking for shops, in the future (if I don't do the work myself), I intend on interviewing each and every mechanic hahaha.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gurukid
Reputation should not be a factor when looking for shops, in the future (if I don't do the work myself), I intend on interviewing each and every mechanic hahaha.
I'm surprised the mechanics didn't take it for a drive before handing it over to you. And if they did, a shame they didn't pick up on that either. It wouldn't hurt to post a thread for a local referral on the forums, bounce off other PCA members or network through local cars & coffees.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
So called Mechanics. I have **** um. I took a jeep in for an oil and filter change and the mechanics let me drive off with no engine oil in the car. The father thought the son had put the oil in and visa versa. Good job I checked my rear view mirror to see the father legging it across the car park to me as I was driving away or it would have cost them a new engine.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad everything seems to have worked out okay. You have described the exact reason I take my cars to the same dealership I have been with for years. I have a specified mechanic who works on my cars and my Porsche dealership is the best in the state. By the sounds of some of the complaints I see on the forum, maybe the best in the West. Enjoy your car.