996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Vortech Supercharger Intallation - DIY !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Talking Vortech Supercharger Intallation - DIY !

Ok! So after doing all the of the cosmetic on the car ( feel free to visit my Project thread here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-thread.html ) I decided after a LOT of thinking to supercharge the car

I came across a used kit to a Porsche 996, or at least I thought hehe...

Plans are as follow:

1. Testfit the supercharger, build a bracket (since the one i got with the kit dosnīt fit!! And get the belt to work with my own new designbracket.

2. Build the coolantsystem and install the front radiator, pipes, hoses, harness to the coolantpump

3. Install a AFR-gauge and Place a wacumline from the Engine into the car, so I later can install a boostgauge (will be placing the where the cd-holder are today - no japsstyle hehe)

4. Do the injectors

5. Install the supercharger and intercooler and connect them

6. New software

7. Roll with the turbos (next summer I guess...)

The kit where almost complete, I reccon the parts that where missing I could either produce/build my self or order.

The kit included:

1. Supercharger
2. Intercooler
3. Porsche GT3 center radiator
4. Injectors
5. All the pipes in the engineroom
6. Tempsensor
7. KN-airfilter
8. Miscellaneous weird things

Pictures below and movie of the dyno! I also had my car dynod Before so I can compare. We had MASSIVE cooling problems and no rear fan so I didnt realy knew what to expect, but I got 250 at the Wheels...

Movie of the dyno:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	392632   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	392633   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	392634   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	392635   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	392636  

Last edited by silverfizz; 06-29-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Ok, so as I mentioned in the first post the bracket didnt fit

I started to testfit all of the parts in the engineroom, and I reliazed after a lot of hours that it would not work. The kit had been on a 996 3.4 1999, and mine is 2001, I dont know if thats why? Anyway the bracket isnt a VF engineering bracket so this DIY will be a bit harder than I first thought hehe.

I also orded a new waterpump from porsche so I can change that at the same time as I am building the coolantsystem.

I orded the exansiontank and complete hoseset, a new KN-filter from VF-enigineering. Reccon it was easier than started to build it my self.

Some pics of my testfitting.

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	392638   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	392639   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	392640   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	392641  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 AM
I decieded to use the braket that I got and start to modify It, then I will later do a new bracket that is 100% with the first as a modell.

Here is a pictue of only the supercharger with no bracket. And the way of the belt. As you C it dosnt look anything like the beltway with the bracket from VF engineering.

Doug or Arrong if you have any pics of how you did the belt PLEASE feel free to post them. I am not a 100 % sure of how I will do yet. And I can get into my head how you can put pressure on the generator if you dont use a 3:rd tenssior pulley. ???

1. You gyus that have done this Before - did you have to remove this waterhose? I cant C how the belt will run free without?

2. Here is my own design of the 3:rd pulley. Please, if you have pics of the belt way post them!!!

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	392642   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	505.3 KB
ID:	392643   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	392644  

Last edited by silverfizz; 06-29-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
Hi Victor. Looks like you have a good start to the project. Here are some photos you requested.

What version of the supercharger are you installing? The first generation SCs are cooled by the engine's oil, while the latest version is a self-contained oil system. I've never personally seen a 1st generation unit, but that yellow hose may be for oil cooling.

The idler/deflection rollers are part nbr 99710211900. These are made of nylon, and thus, weigh less than the original 996 part. I installed two of these.

The belt is made by Goodyear. Part nbr 4061037 (see photos). It's for a Saab 2.0L and 2.3L

Hope this helps.

Name:	20140629_222942.jpg
Views:	1963
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	392746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_223609.jpg
Views:	1889
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	392747   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_223622.jpg
Views:	1858
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	392748  
Old 06-30-2014, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by Doug996InKC
Hi Victor. Looks like you have a good start to the project. Here are some photos you requested.

What version of the supercharger are you installing? The first generation SCs are cooled by the engine's oil, while the latest version is a self-contained oil system. I've never personally seen a 1st generation unit, but that yellow hose may be for oil cooling.

The idler/deflection rollers are part nbr 99710211900. These are made of nylon, and thus, weigh less than the original 996 part. I installed two of these.

The belt is made by Goodyear. Part nbr 4061037 (see photos). It's for a Saab 2.0L and 2.3L

Hope this helps.

Super Doug, it realy helps a lot! On thursday this week I will hopefully complete the bracketmodell so I can make a fresh new one in aluminiun.

I will order the 2 idlers and a new belt, the one I have seams too long.

The supercharger is a V2, so I will have to fix the oillines as well, but I dont think thats is too hard. In the kit I got all the things I needed for that. I am a bit more worried about building a new bracket.

Do you know the distance between the two tensioning rollers on your bracket? Number 3 and 8 in the picture.

Ohh, and more thing. Did you have to move the waterhose on the left side in the engineroom to make room for the belt?

Thx!!!

Last edited by silverfizz; 06-30-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by silverfizz
Do you know the distance between the two tensioning rollers on your bracket? Number 3 and 8 in the picture.
Sorry, I do not know that distance. All of the components are crammed in tight, so even getting a tape measure in has proven to be difficult. Perhaps someone without a supercharger could measure that distance for you (under tension).

Ohh, and more thing. Did you have to move the waterhose on the left side in the engineroom to make room for the belt?
Yes, that hose needs to be moved up (made shorter) a bit. The supercharger housing almost sits on the hose (not a good design, in my opinion). I ordered a new hose and cut off about one inch. I've had no problems 1+ years later. I recommend using worm clamps instead of the OEM tension clamps.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I do not know that distance. All of the components are crammed in tight, so even getting a tape measure in has proven to be difficult. Perhaps someone without a supercharger could measure that distance for you (under tension).

Yes, that hose needs to be moved up (made shorter) a bit. The supercharger housing almost sits on the hose (not a good design, in my opinion). I ordered a new hose and cut off about one inch. I've had no problems 1+ years later. I recommend using worm clamps instead of the OEM tension clamps.

Thx Doug!

Yeah, I thought you had to move that hose, good to get it confirmed. Ok, on thursday this week I will try to finish the details of my bracketmodell. I will drill some holls and try what fit best. Dont Think its so accurate, it just need to function.

I also got a new 997 pulley, but I am not sure I will use it though. Think the 996 ones works fine.

More pics to come when I am testfitting. After that is done I will continue to the coolingsystem.

Anyway, thx for all your help - I highly appriciate.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 PM
{Hawkeye} is on a distinguished road
Fantastic.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
A Little update! Not much going on right now, I am currently enjoying the car in the sun instead

Anyway, some things arrived today from VF Engineering!

Doug / Aaron or anyone else who has done this, do you know where the holes in the shield to the filter goes? Picture number 4.

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	395489   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	395490   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	395491   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	395492   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	395499  

Last edited by silverfizz; 07-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
...do you know where the holes in the shield to the filter goes? Picture number 4.
The plastic heat shield does not attach to anything structurally. You may want to consider sticking the soft side of a velcro pair to the plastic to keep it from rattling against the power steering lines. Unless you've decided to shorten the intake and placing it in front of the intercooler...

Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
The plastic heat shield does not attach to anything structurally. You may want to consider sticking the soft side of a velcro pair to the plastic to keep it from rattling against the power steering lines. Unless you've decided to shorten the intake and placing it in front of the intercooler...

Think I am going with option number 2, then i can get more fresh air to the filter.

Ok, thx for clearing that out. Its so weird they design it like that, and kind of weird that the filter is located inside the eginebay neer the exhaust / Engine.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond reputeErik@RSC has a reputation beyond repute
great DIY! keep us posted on progress.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Wow such a crazy project. Trend carefully so that you can enjoy the extra effort vs. buying a kit.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Arrow is on a distinguished road
Any updates? Nice build!!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Arrow
Any updates? Nice build!!

Thx! Not so much, I am curenty driving the car

But I got my new superchargerbelt today, and I found a person in the states who has a bracket for sale

Will properly start to take the car apart as soon as the weather gets bad.