996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

In defense of the 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
In defense of the 996

I recently ran across this story about the 996 and thought I would share it.

http://www.theflatsix.com/2014/06/10...se-of-the-996/

Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM
ic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really nice
Great article. Well written with many great points. The cam chain tensioner point is a great one which I am quite familiar with.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:49 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Thanks, Bernard, good read. Did the article fail to mention the gt3 fires? Anyway, check to all of the above. I'm 20 minutes from getting off this train to give my baby a daily dose of sweet rpms!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 PM
996_North is on a distinguished road
Great read, and very true. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Nothing that we didn't already know, but still I enjoyed the read thanks.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:57 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Good article, was although a bit confused about his statement regardning the IMS.

" It is a generally accepted truth that a well-used M96 Porsche with very low miles is at greater risk of IMS/RMS failure than a slightly used one with higher mileage. "

It kind of argues against itself. Either it is well used and has high miles, or it is in use barely and has low miles.....

Old 07-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by silverfizz
Good article, was although a bit confused about his statement regardning the IMS.

" It is a generally accepted truth that a well-used M96 Porsche with very low miles is at greater risk of IMS/RMS failure than a slightly used one with higher mileage. "

It kind of argues against itself. Either it is well used and has high miles, or it is in use barely and has low miles.....
That's exactly what it is saying...I suppose it sounds like this saying. 'A battery has more chance of starting the car IF the car was locked rather than unlocked'. Although you wouldn't think so, It takes less from the battery to lock the car when not in use, than it does by leaving the car unlocked when in the garage for lengthy periods. It's a bit like the human body. Regular exercise, the body is healthier all round. Left to sit on a couch, the body will deteriorate and not last a long and healthy life. IF the IMS/RMS is going to go, it is more likely to show in the lower miles from lack of use. (But not guaranteed). Again a controversial statement in itself.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM
dans911 is on a distinguished road
I enjoyed that a lot, and I had never heard of the LS3 conversion, sounds pretty intriguing...

Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
The 996 is a great platform. I really enjoy the fact that it is less likely to be collector so I don't feel bad about tracking it or modifying it. While in its standard configuration some people claim it may be a bit too "jelly beanish", once you start modding it by lowering and some sort of aero kit, the car is downright beautiful. I would recommend a 996 to anyone.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dans911
I enjoyed that a lot, and I had never heard of the LS3 conversion, sounds pretty intriguing...

In progress

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...version-7.html