996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What do you use to treat your leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM
vettegirl is on a distinguished road
What do you use to treat your leather?

I realize that since my 2000 996 has only 27k miles it spent a lot of time parked, but honestly it looks like it spent some of that time parked with a raccoon trapped inside! My seats, seat backs, console and passenger door seem very scuffed/scratched (although there are no rips, so I am pretty sure this is the original interior). Is Porsche leather inherently fragile? What are you using to keep yours looking its best, and hopefully preventing further scuffiness?? I am using Maguire's Gold Class which has always worked well for me, but it's not cutting it on this car..help!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I use Griots Garage Leather Rejuvenator and Leather Care. This stuff is fantastic! My leather is soft and supple and the car smells like leather. Personally I stay away from Megs, mothers, etc.. because IMO they are more geared for mass marketing. Yes you'll pay more for these products but the results speak for themselves. And they make great paint sealant and Carnauba wax, I use the sealant.
No, you leather is not fragile.
Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by vettegirl
I realize that since my 2000 996 has only 27k miles it spent a lot of time parked, but honestly it looks like it spent some of that time parked with a raccoon trapped inside! My seats, seat backs, console and passenger door seem very scuffed/scratched (although there are no rips, so I am pretty sure this is the original interior). Is Porsche leather inherently fragile? What are you using to keep yours looking its best, and hopefully preventing further scuffiness?? I am using Maguire's Gold Class which has always worked well for me, but it's not cutting it on this car..help!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
I use Griots Garage Leather Rejuvenator and Leather Care. This stuff is fantastic!
You know I did have a bottle of the Leather Care and I recall I loved how it smelled. I'll have to go pick some more up, definitely want to try the Rejuvenator. I also tried their "spray and shine" product on my 59 Caddy and was impressed (believe me you don't want to wash a 59 Caddy every time you take it out, it's a workout!). Thanks!!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Yup, use the rejuvenator first then the care. I use the Speed Shine between sealings, works wonders. You'll have to apply the rejuvenator several times to "bring back" the leather then use the leather care.
I don't use anything that is "cleaner" on the paint and nothing with petroleum distillates in it.

Originally Posted by vettegirl
You know I did have a bottle of the Leather Care and I recall I loved how it smelled. I'll have to go pick some more up, definitely want to try the Rejuvenator. I also tried their "spray and shine" product on my 59 Caddy and was impressed (believe me you don't want to wash a 59 Caddy every time you take it out, it's a workout!). Thanks!!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
I have first been cleaning the leather with Lexol and then putting on this stuff: Elephant Leather Preserver. Its kinda like clear shoe polish and does a really good job of reviving dried leather (I have a convertible). Amazon has it. I saw them using Elephant on one of those car shows on Velocity. They were reviving the leather in an antique car.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I also need to find a better place to park during the day (it's my daily driver). I noticed the beginning of bubbles on the windshield side of my gauge pod and on one of the rear arm rests. What the heck was I thinking cleaning the interior with the top down so I could see everything!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by sjg1138
Elephant Leather Preserver. Its kinda like clear shoe polish and does a really good job of reviving dried leather (I have a convertible).
Never heard of it, I'll check it out. I have a triple black convertible and I'm sure the Florida sun is just frying my leather. Thanks for the info!!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM
I've tried Lexol in the past and it didn't work well for me, it left the leather shinny. Leather has the breath so any product the "coats" is not good for it. The product has to be absorbed into the leather in order for it to work.

For what it's worth, my local Porsche dealer uses nothing but Griots Garage products in their detailing department.

Originally Posted by sjg1138
I have first been cleaning the leather with Lexol and then putting on this stuff: Elephant Leather Preserver. Its kinda like clear shoe polish and does a really good job of reviving dried leather (I have a convertible). Amazon has it. I saw them using Elephant on one of those car shows on Velocity. They were reviving the leather in an antique car.

Last edited by FLA996TT; 08-01-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
If you are a detailing ocd, check out money2536. His journal and detailing vids are great. He offers nice sources, how-to's, and product preferences.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4160744

Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Here is a link to the guys on Fast and Loud using the Elephant wax. To be clear, this is used on the final step and is to be absorbed into the leather.

I've been using Lexol for the cleaning stage.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 AM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Porschemama. Thanks for posting that link to Money2536, I've learned everything I wanted to know about detailing my P-car in and out. Cheers!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 AM
khiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond reputekhiroshima has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
I use Griots Garage Leather Rejuvenator and Leather Care. This stuff is fantastic!
+1
I have used this on all my cars with excellent results, only have needed the Rejuvenator on one car, Leather Care is my go-to

Old 08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
996Ray is on a distinguished road
Leatherique is awesome. It smells amazing, is all natural and feeds the leather....

www.autogeek.net/leatherique.html

Old 08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I would say yes as well, had a friend who used it and liked it, very similar to Griots products.

Originally Posted by 996Ray
Leatherique is awesome. It smells amazing, is all natural and feeds the leather....

www.autogeek.net/leatherique.html

Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
I actually use, after Reading a lot about this subject, BMW´s leather care kit. One cleaner and one leathercare.

It realy made the leather look like new!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you use to treat your leather?