996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Dead battery; no trunk access. External battery trick no go because alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Falcon7x is on a distinguished road
Angry Still can't unlock trunk. Can't find cable. Alarm won't shut off

So it's been a week now and I'm still unable to get any of my trunks open due to alarm not turning off. I even tried connecting power to emergency terminal with doors closed.

I now think my entire problem is not anything else but the alarm. Yes...if the battery was not dead then I'd be good, but that is not the current issue since I'm bypassing the battery by using another in the fuse box. This means there is another problem and it has something to do with why I can't turn off alarm which I must do in order to proceed.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
Were you not able to find the cable? It might be easier to remove the passenger side wheel/tire to get more room to work.

I'd recommend disconnecting the battery once you get under the hood and connecting the battery to a external charger. You can also pull the battery and drop it off at an Autozone type of store. They can charge and test it. I replaced mine with a Sears AGM and have been happy so far.

https://www.google.com/search?q=996+...ml%3B800%3B600

Last edited by 996_911C2_Dhru; 08-08-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: acurracy
Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
The last guy said it was passenger wheel well. Is that wrong?

Originally Posted by 996_911C2_Dhru
Were you not able to find the cable? It might be easier to remove the driver side wheel/tire to get more room to work.

I'd recommend disconnecting the battery once you get under the hood and connecting the battery to a external charger. You can also pull the battery and drop it off at an Autozone type of store. They can charge and test it. I replaced mine with a Sears AGM and have been happy so far.

https://www.google.com/search?q=996+...ml%3B800%3B600

Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Falcon7x
Still looking for the cable. My fingers are snaking all over in there but nothing yet. Is it above, forward or below? Gonna google some photos now.
Look between the headlight and the tray it sits on. Not sure if your fingers would be able to access it but since its a shiny steel cable, you might be able to see it with a flashlight.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
He was right I was wrong. My research shows passenger side. (Sorry I fixed my post so not to cause further confusion)

http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum...k-release.html

Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
What year is the car. I recall only the 2001 had a cable. I could be wrong about that

JB

Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Finally!!! She's alive!! Thanks all!!

So this was a really bizarre issue. I'd like to investigate more to maybe find out what went wrong. No reason alarm should have been stuck on and not being able to turn off. Solution:

Pry passenger wheel well forward panel open from the top(leave bottom alone)
Reach WAY back and just above the weld line on the chassis
You will hit some kind of metal attachment point 1-2" wide
Reach up from here and feel around for a bit; up and for sure back
You will feel a metal wire. Don't yank like a girl-scout. PULL HARD
*click*
WOOHOO!!!!

Then guess what? I plug in new battery and alarm goes off MUCH louder now and I freak. I step into car and dash gauges are lit up and I'm optimistic. The alarm disables as designed and then I start her up as she sounds like she won't start but she does.

Well...after a week of trying, I got her going and no tow!

Thanks all!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I found it!

Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
What year is the car. I recall only the 2001 had a cable. I could be wrong about that

JB

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm good!

Found the cable release in the wheel well.

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Okay, so what happened? If you still can't open the front trunk, can you open the engine lid? There's a positive terminal there, so you can jump start the car and your problems should be over.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
glad you got it, frustrating i bet.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Not as much as it would normally have been. So busy, I have to schedule more time to be frustrated.

BTW...so car sat for a month or 2 with 1 year old battery. Alarm must have drained it to 4V. It's been charging for 2 days not(trickle now). You think it should be OK now?

Also, if I can't have it on trickle all the time and won't be driving it, what should I do? Tickle for a couple hours each month? 2 weeks? 6 hour charge a month? Keep an eye on battery levels and charge once it drops below a point? If so what voltage should I charge again?

BTW...I know idling for 10 minutes every two weeks might be more harm than good since the drain on the battery to start it.

Originally Posted by OS Inspector
glad you got it, frustrating i bet.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Battery down to 4V. No good?

If you let your battery drain to 4V, is it damaged? I fully charged it up with charger but I'm not sure if it works that way. Is it just like a normal rechargeable battery you use in your power drill?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Not necessarily a damaged battery. You need to have it properly charged and tested to be certain. I'd pull it and take to a store that can do this for you. Possibly an Autozone type of place. Or you can charge it and drive the car and see how it behaves over the next few weeks.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
How old is the battery? If it's a few years old, I would rather just but a new one than risking getting stuck somewhere. I don't know about you but I'd rather pony up $100 now than to waste time waiting for a jump or getting stranded later. Also with colder weather coming up, weaker/older batteries issues will be even more amplified.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Yep, certainly your call on whether to replace it to be safe. I replaced mine with a Sears AGM battery and have been very happy.

Advanced Gold AGM Battery - Group Size 48 (Price with Exchange)

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advance...p-02850748000P

$165 - You can probably find some coupons to get this down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead battery; no trunk access. External battery trick no go because alarm