996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Dead battery; no trunk access. External battery trick no go because alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Falcon7x is on a distinguished road
Dead battery; no trunk access. External battery trick no go because alarm

Porsche 996 C2
I've done a lot of research on this and went through the manual and 996 essential companion and Google. Problem is I can't turn off the alarm so the alarm prevents me from doing anything else. This is where I'm at:

-Got fully charged 12V Porsche battery and wires
-Connected to the fuse box and door latch
-alarm sounds but key in door does nothing

What am I missing here?

I'm shocked that the companion book I bought does not even seem to have the procedure I'm using which is in the manual. It has nothing listed under dead battery. The word "trunk" is not even in the index.

Final note: My keys are dead (no remote). Also I'm trying to lock and unlock doors to turn off the alarm. Is there any order of operations? Key in door first, the panel open, then power, then unlock doors, then trunk? If so I put the key in door after the panel was open.

I called around the shops and best I got was to tow it. One was shocked the alarm goes off. Umm....dead battery? Why would it not? Disconnecting batteries is a common theft tactic. I think smartly the alarm is set to default to assume something is very wrong when it gets power all of a sudden and finds the doors open and it does not know how the doors were opened.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
I just tried something else but no good. I added a step:

unlock doors with key THEN
turn key in ignition

Same situation. Alarm going off and I'm locked out.

Originally Posted by Falcon7x
Porsche 996 C2
-Got fully charged 12V Porsche battery and wires
-Connected to the fuse box and door latch
-alarm sounds but key in door does nothing

What am I missing here?

(

Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Not sure I understand.

If you can get to the fuse box and connect power to the post in the fuse box and ground how can the door be locked?

Regardless, don't bother with the key in the door lock. My memory is if the door is say opened with a key after the security system has shut off (happens after 5 days to conserve battery power) and one can't unlock the door with the button on the key module, to prevent the alarm from going off insert the key into the ignition and start the engine.

In your car's case though I would not attempt to start the engine, I would not even insert the key and turn the key to the on position.

Use the 12V emergency power as it was intended which is to supply enough power to raise the windows and open the front (or rear) trunk.

So, connect the power and ground leads then use the rocker switch on the door sill to open the front trunk so you can get to the battery. Disconnect the battery and this should quiet the alarm. (Unless the car has an aftermarket alarm installed in which case it might have its own battery power.)

Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Saibot is on a distinguished road
Why not just turn your key in the ignition to turn off the alarm after you connect your battery to the fusebox/door latch.

to me, it seems like you're turning the key before you even connect the battery.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM
John's 991 is on a distinguished road
I think the external battery connected to the fuse box is to allow you to open the frunk so you can then charge the battery or use jumper cables to start it. If the alarm goes off and you can't shut it off with the key fob (or second key assuming the fob does not work well with the key pulled out) I would just ignore it until I could open the frunk.

From there I would disconnect the external battery and recharge or jump the main battery, and there should not be a problem with the alarm. In the worst case, you can have it call Porsche to come pick it up, assuming there is a dealer not to far away.

I am not sure if you are trying to start the car from the external batter, but I don't think that is the point. Here is a link that might provide some additional information:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...l-power-supply

Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Just peel back passenger front wheel well liner to access the emergency trunk release cable. You should see a shiny steel cable with a loop close to the headlight. Pull on it to open frunk and gain access to battery.

You might want to think about routing this cable behind the passenger bumper vent opening so it is more easily accessible. I have mine tucked up so its not seen.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Remember the alarm is the entire problem. If I could turn it off, then problem solved. The alarm's purpose naturally is to prevent theft. If it's going off, then that means there is a threat of potential theft and until you turn it off, you won't be able to open anything.

Normally you just insert key and turn it, but that does nothing here. Perhaps due to dead battery.

Originally Posted by Macster
Not sure I understand.

So, connect the power and ground leads then use the rocker switch on the door sill to open the front trunk so you can get to the battery. Disconnect the battery and this should quiet the alarm. (Unless the car has an aftermarket alarm installed in which case it might have its own battery power.)

Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Turning the key does nothing. No lights, no alarm off, nothing. I'm following the correct procedure per the manual also so the key is in the door, not the ignition. Per the manual, the answer to my problem is to turn the key in the door but that is not working.

Originally Posted by Saibot
Why not just turn your key in the ignition to turn off the alarm after you connect your battery to the fusebox/door latch.

to me, it seems like you're turning the key before you even connect the battery.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Perfect! THIS seems like the one response with promise. I'm not sure why the manual's procedure is not working but what you propose sounds like a winner. Once I do a battery swap, everything should be back to normal. I'll just charge the dead battery and hope it's not ruined. Then I'll swap it back. Thanks!

Originally Posted by alpine003
Just peel back passenger front wheel well liner to access the emergency trunk release cable. You should see a shiny steel cable with a loop close to the headlight. Pull on it to open frunk and gain access to battery.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
No problem. Usually low batteries can play havoc with certain systems. After you charge it or get a new battery(I would get new if close to 4 yrs), just make sure your volt meter is reading above 14v after you start it just to make sure the alternator and/or rest of the charging system is ok.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Battery less than a year old. Car has been sitting for a couple months maybe. That alarm killed it I think. I'm home today so gonna try your suggestions now. Into the passenger well I go...

Originally Posted by alpine003
No problem. Usually low batteries can play havoc with certain systems. After you charge it or get a new battery(I would get new if close to 4 yrs), just make sure your volt meter is reading above 14v after you start it just to make sure the alternator and/or rest of the charging system is ok.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Okay, so what happened? If you still can't open the front trunk, can you open the engine lid? There's a positive terminal there, so you can jump start the car and your problems should be over.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM
What happened was I'm illiterate!

Went into the footwell? Whatever it's called INSIDE car! LOL

OK, back outside...let's see if we can find out what a wheel looks like!

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Okay, so what happened? If you still can't open the front trunk, can you open the engine lid? There's a positive terminal there, so you can jump start the car and your problems should be over.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 PM
You can't open anything with alarm on. Front or rear.

I'm having some trouble with wheel well panels. Looks like I'll need a star driver of some sort for the 2 top screws and I may need to pull pins underneath the car as well. Not sure I have a star driver.

Okay, so what happened? If you still can't open the front trunk, can you open the engine lid?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Still looking for the cable. My fingers are snaking all over in there but nothing yet. Is it above, forward or below? Gonna google some photos now.

Okay, so what happened? If you still can't open the front trunk, can you open the engine lid?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead battery; no trunk access. External battery trick no go because alarm