996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Purchase of 2001 996 Porsche

Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Certainly very presentable model but is still a $24k car tops at the end of the day.

If this is truly THE car for you in every way and you are thinking with your brain and not 100% with your heart, get it but don't come crying back here after you second guess yourself.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 AM
RagtopSL is on a distinguished road
Alpine003, I do not understand your last post. Maybe I am slow on the uptake, but why would I second guess myself and the come crying back here. I feel that everyone has given me some good info. But what ever I decide it becomes my issue. I am here to get the knowledge and experience from people who own and drive 996 Porsche's. Like I said I got more behind me than in front of me (older guy).I am looking for a car that will give be a kick in the pants when I get on it. I am not a wealthy man and I don't want a car that will take me to the poor house. But I want a car I can drive and not just look at, I want to do some performance modifications and again I intend to ask everyone who will respond for your advise. I am trying to start with a basic car and build from there. I don't want a boy racer, I want a purposeful performance car. Again I thank everyone for responding.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Ragtopsl, I think the majority of the responses here are suggesting to keep looking. By posting more pics of the car in question and continue to sound enamoured by it, rubs some people the wrong way. But everyone has their opinion, some stronger than others.

I too posted a similar question on my first post, inquiring about my first purchase. In my case, everyone was right... driving style, maintenance cost and long term value, inspection pointers, etc. and love my purchase without regret! I quickly learned this is a tight community, in and out of the forum. I hope you are happy with your purchase, and stick around here. Btw Alpine003 is a great resource...brutally honest but I'd still grab a beer with him.

Last edited by porschemama; 08-29-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you Porschemama. You hit the nail on the head. My point is that you posting pics and additional info really isn't going to change the opinion of me and others on pricing. All I'm saying is if you really feel this is THE car for you and you have done your research and dudiligence, get it, drive it, enjoy it and don't look back and don't worry about what others say, including me.

Having been on various forums for awhile now, I often hear remorse whether it's from a car purchase, a car mod, or service. And often times within there somewhere, price always plays a factor to some level. I just don't want you to be one of those guys, that's all. Good luck on your search and feel free to post any additional candidates if you'd like opinions from members here. And no need to worry if you think I'm acting like a ******bag at times. I can come across that way but I mean no ill will.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 AM
rayng is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RagtopSL
I am contemplating the purchase of a 2001 Porsche Carrera, mileage 34,000 miles. Previously had an engine failure at 30,000 miles due to IMS failure. Engine rebuild performed by Boston Sports Car; at time of rebuild IMS replaced with updated Porsche part, RMS also replace but clutch was not replaced cost of rebuild was $12,000.Selling price is $27,500, it is a one owner car with all documentation. Car is mint in all other aspects. Will have a PPI performed. Does this sound like a good car to purchase or should I stay away. Will the maintenance cost be very high?

Thanks
Burt
welcome, and first and foremost, enjoy the search. here are a few things i learned from the search and purchase of my 01 c2. sorry for the lengthy reply, but here goes:
1. look at and test drive as many as you can. don't stress. just enjoy and learn about the car. a PPI can only tell you so much. most IMS/RMS issues should be sorted out by now unless they are garage queens that are never driven.
2. join rennlist.com and spend as much time on the 996 board searching for answers to any and every question you may have. participate in the community.
3. while searching, save or allocate a four-figure "rainy day" fund for maintenance, mods, and other unforeseen expenditures.
4. in terms of maintenance, diy if possible. these are wonderful cars to work on if you have patience, mechanical ability, and the right tools. these are cars that you should work on to fully enjoy them in my opinion. oil changes, brake pads, coolant reservoir, ignition switch, sport seats, and other minor items are relatively easy to do. renntech and pcar are among the best resources for diy instruction and reference.
5. trust your own good senses. if you've driven a lot of cars (say 20 or so), you'll have a very good feel what options are must haves, what your pet-peeves are, and what the market price is.

best of luck.