996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Race Car Shakedown at VIR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
996 Race Car Shakedown at VIR

Hey guys,

Here's some short and mildly entertaining video from VIR. The car is a 2001 Carrera race car that was built with a cage, Moton double-adjustable suspension, Hoosiers, etc; while the engine and transmission are still totally stock.

I purchased the car just over two weeks ago from a dealership up in Ohio (Beachwood), hoping that it would be a good foundation for whatever type of racing I wanted to do in the future.

According to the dealership, the previous owners were two brothers who were a bit overweight. For the sake of convenience, they had the driver's side roll cage bars cut out of the car. On top of that, the cage had no diagonal brace for the main roll hoop. Needless to say, I immediately sent the car to Piper Motorsport in Leesburg, VA to have the cage reinforced. Piper redid both doors with NASCAR bars, added the much-needed diagonal bar to main roll hoop, added a diagonal brace to roof, added cross bar for harnesses behind the seats, gutted the doors (necessary for the NASCAR bars) and made custom window brackets which allow the windows to be removed for racing and easily fastened/sealed back into place for transport.

Here are some pics of the car and the cage work.

Gotta love the professional tape job...

Cabin shot...

Passenger side NASCAR bars...

Driver's side NASCAR bars...

Piper did great work; I would highly recommend them. I will post a review of how the car handled at a later date.

Last edited by NineElevenLover; 08-26-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
ic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really nice
That looks like a blast. It's a great video.

Clearly the cage is sound after all that hard work.

Has anything been done to the stock brakes?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Originally Posted by ic3scrap3r
That looks like a blast. It's a great video.

Clearly the cage is sound after all that hard work.
Thanks, much appreciated... and I agree about the cage.

Originally Posted by ic3scrap3r
Has anything been done to the stock brakes?
The car has brembo calipers, and I believe it also has aftermarket rotors, but I'm not 100% positive. I will learn more about the brake system in the near future when I get in there to bleed it, etc. The brakes felt VERY solid and confidence inspiring.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
looks good!!

Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Looks great, VIR is a fantastic track.