996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Intro/help with TPC supercharger install

Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Tonytuzz is on a distinguished road
Intro/help with TPC supercharger install

Hello all. I've been lurking and slowly building my 2000 996 into a poor man's GT3 RS:

Recently, I picked up an old TPC supercharger kit from someone who took it off their 997 for cheap. It's the later kit with two extra injectors (controlled by Unichip.)

I'm looking for installation instructions and a Unichip tune for the kit.

I know these may not exist at this point, and I'm reasonably experienced with projects like this, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if these things are available.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:44 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
No real help but my advice would be to contact tpc and see if you can upgrade all your main injectors and just retune your main ecu by them. That would be more ideal.

I had a unichip before on a WRX as well as the HKS AIC which was similar to your setup.

For maximum gain and efficiency, retuning the stock ecu gives you more fine adjustments along with better troubleshooting capabilities down the line.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
No real help but my advice would be to contact tpc and see if you can upgrade all your main injectors and just retune your main ecu by them. That would be more ideal.

I had a unichip before on a WRX as well as the HKS AIC which was similar to your setup.

For maximum gain and efficiency, retuning the stock ecu gives you more fine adjustments along with better troubleshooting capabilities down the line.
Thx for the reply. Looks like a lot of the same folks here as on RL, but more mod-friendly...

They were my first call. I spoke with Tom Chan, who seemed genuinely interested in helping out, but they moved on from this kit going on 5 years ago and he said that they may not have this stuff since they upgraded their computers.

He did promise to look around, and I'm supposed to check back with him at the end of this week. He also mentioned that I should ditch the auxilliary injectors, change to green giants, and go do a custom tune. There are some posts out on the interwebz showing cars like this putting down 400whp/400wtq(!)

This is my likely path, as there are several decent Unichip tuners in the area. I just wish I had the instructions for hose routing/vacuum line stuff/boost control so I don't have to do as much head scratching. I like the idea of the piggyback ecu so I can return the car to stock when I want to sell or have to pass emissions every couple of years.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Hi! And welcome

I will follow this thread for sure ! Good luck with install! You might wanna Contact NineEreven here at the forum, as he did a similar install as you are about to!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-turbo-nb.html

Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tonytuzz
He also mentioned that I should ditch the auxilliary injectors, change to green giants, and go do a custom tune.
That's basically what I said above. You want to tune the factory ecu though. If the tuning on the unichip is less than ideal under any conditions, the ecu is going to modify its own ignition timing values or fuel trim values and fight with the piggyback.

Even if you tune the factory ecu, you can always load back the factory program.

Might I suggest contacting Softtronics as they may have a baseline supercharger map on file already. From that point, you can go to a dyno/and or get a wideband 02 that does data logging and send the log files back to them to fine tune. The Softtronics map files can be loaded by yourself through the supplied interface cable and software. It will be an iterative process with possibly a few rounds of tuning. They will most likely be able to email you the new maps too cutting down on map retuning time. But first you would need to install the larger injectors and remove the secondary injector controller from the system.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM
TOM AT TPC IS THE MAN!!!!

He just sent me install instructions and a bunch of images.

I really didn't expect them to have or want to help my 2nd hand, cobbled together project, but they came through.

WRT the Unichip, the manual details an add-on module with a MAP sensor that presumably is used to manage timing under boost.

Maybe I get another CPU to experiment with another tune? Can they be swapped between cars of the same year?

Also, how do I contact Softronic? Ideally, I'd like the ability to tune onsite at the tuner. There are lots in CA, and I could throw the car on a trailer and even drag it to LA if I need to.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM
If you have access to a good tuner, make sure you can tune on a inertia hub dyno(mustang) or one of the newer variable inertia dyno jet so you can tune both wot and part throttle scenarios. Problem is most will not have the ability to tap into the Porsche DME. Even if you find a Porsche in house tuning facility, you are looking at $125-$150/hr for tuning and probably a minimum of 8 hours to get everything tuned.

You can't just swap ECU's as the alarm is coded to each ECU and your car won't start with the different one.

Also I'm pretty sure Silverfizz got mixed up between a SUPERcharger and TURBOcharger as they are not alike.

Softronic info: http://bit.ly/1Br6olG

Old 09-10-2014, 11:08 AM
If you have access to a good tuner, make sure you can tune on a inertia hub dyno(mustang) or one of the newer variable inertia dyno jet so you can tune both wot and part throttle scenarios.
Thanks, but Mustangs read low and I want to put up BIG NUMBERS!!!

I've tuned lots of bikes and cars, including a fully built Audi B5 S4 and totally get what you're saying about variable inertia and drivability.

Thanks for the Softronic tip (looks like they are doing the tunes for current TPC turbo kits) but I still want to try the Unichip. I didn't even know you couldn't swap ecu's...

I may want to remove and sell, or take the kit with me if I jump to a 997 at some point. The cool thing about all the money I'm blowing on mods for the 996 is that they can just roll over to a 997 at some point. At least I'd have a baseline tune to start from. With an ecu tune, I'd be starting over. Resale value for the kit would also be much greater if I could sell with some kind of engine management solution.

Also, Vishnu (of BMW N54 tuning fame) and some others are local and are equipped to tune Unichip. I'll probably talk with 034 Motorsport, who build some monster cars and helped with the S4 in the past.

If we can't make the Unichip work well, then we will look into a legit tune from a Porsche tuner.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Both Vishnu and Bisi are excellent, if not the two top tuners in your area.:thumbup:

Bisi is very busy but if you don't mind upgrading to the AEM ecu, he knows that system like the back of his hand.

Vishnu tuned my Unichip back in the day like in 2001.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Both Vishnu and Bisi are excellent, if not the two top tuners in your area.:thumbup:

Bisi is very busy but if you don't mind upgrading to the AEM ecu, he knows that system like the back of his hand.

Vishnu tuned my Unichip back in the day like in 2001.
I've called both in addition to Softronic. Vishnu can actually tune with the ecu and ditch the piggyback.

They're all supposed to get back to me with the approach, cost, etc.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:12 PM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Also I'm pretty sure Silverfizz got mixed up between a SUPERcharger and TURBOcharger as they are not alike.

Oohhhh

My misstake! I thoguht turbocharger when I saw TPC not supercharger

Old 09-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tonytuzz
I've called both in addition to Softronic. Vishnu can actually tune with the ecu and ditch the piggyback.

They're all supposed to get back to me with the approach, cost, etc.

Hello Tony,

I called you back today a couple times yet received a VM. While we can safely tune the car for a Turbo or Super charger they had never been designed for them.

Best,
Scott Slauson

Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winner programmed by Softronic!
Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello Tony,

I called you back today a couple times yet received a VM. While we can safely tune the car for a Turbo or Super charger they had never been designed for them.

Best,
Scott Slauson
Thanks, Scott! When you return a call, you really return a call!

Apologies for not getting back to you. A work tornado and the west coast time shift got in the way. I'll try to call a bit later today.