996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Weird brake issue. Starting to drive me crazy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Pura_carrera is on a distinguished road
Weird brake issue. Starting to drive me crazy.

What's up guys.

Long time lurker, much more of a reader since Iam new to Porsches and never really had any input (I try to not talk out of my ***, unless I actually know what I'm talking about.) Anyways..

I recently noticed something weird with my brakes recently and came out of nowhere.

When Iam driving around and decide I wanna stop; I step on the brake pedal & it sinks alot more than normal & takes more travel to actually apply the friction, and even then, the car dose not "bite" as it did. As soon as I lift my foot off the brake, and press down on the brake pedal again it is immediatly firm again and bites strong (like it used to feel all the time). And it will continue to stay strong- that is until I'm on the gas again for a minute or two; then symptoms return and my first brake pump is "weak".

Car is a 2000 996 coupe. New brake pads, rotors, sensors about 5 months ago.
No brake fluid leaks, resovoir is still full. No lights on dash.

Anybody expiriance anything like this? What's would be a good idea to check first- I don't like taking my cars to shops, as I work on all my vehicles.

I tried looking for info online but my Googl-fu is weak on this one.

Here's a pic of my 996

Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome. Brakes are the system that keeps you alive (along with the suspension, tires...). There's no room for oops. It sounds like you need your brake system flushed and the fluid changed. My advice, for what you paid for it, is to have it done professionally and have your master-cylinder checked at the same time.

However, your brakes........ your safety. Mine are done by my dealer.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:45 AM
bgeiger is on a distinguished road
Had the exact same symptoms on my last car. My master cylinder had an internal leak. Although I usually do my own brakes I had my indy diagnose and change that along with new fluid to be safe. Money well spent.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Master cylinder as mentioned.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 AM
ic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really nice
You definitely need to get this looked at, or dig in yourself (depending on technical ability). I would guess master cylinder as the most likely culprit as well. A replacement will require a thorough bleeding of your brake system, so you may as well do a full flush while you're at it.

By the way, post up some more pics of your car!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. I had a feeling it would be master cylinder or maby the caliper needing rebuilding (but no leaks).

So today on my way to work my "brake wear" light came on. As soon as I parked I check my brake fluid level and it was higher than its "max" level. And I noticed this on my rear brake :

So looks now I'm now in for a rotor is this one cant be cut within spec. I don't get it the brake pad is new, and thick- could debris have gotten between the rotor and pad?

Btw the place I got the car did the brakes before delivery to me.

And I'll defiantly post pics after I give it a good washing!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 AM
dans911 is on a distinguished road
I would have thought you would have some grinding or squealing sounds with that going on with your rotor. Yikes! Maybe a small rock got stuck in there?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Yea but no grinding , no screeching, squeeling , nothing!

I only realized it when I was looking at the rims for any sign of brake fluid leaking. I found it odd the "brake wear" indicator lit up , as the pads were new . (Unless the "brake wear " light comes on for any type of brake malfunction?).

Old 09-09-2014, 04:24 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pura_carrera
Btw the place I got the car did the brakes before delivery to me.

And I'll defiantly post pics after I give it a good washing!
Could be the dealer cheaped it out and put on Autozone $20 pads and didn't replace the brake pad wear sensor possibly...

Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
The spongy brake problem is typically 'air in the line'. Change your brake fluid completly. If no change then move onto your Master Cylinder.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

So I took the car in to the techs at the Car lot I purchased the car from (since they worked on it last). However this morning my "brake wear" light had turned off.
Well Apparently they say is the axle. The tech said the axle is chewed up on the wheel bearing carrier side and caused it to allow the disc to tilt enough to cut the disc. (I failed to mention that I had noticed the rear end would wobble the same certain way on a particular turn, as my old Foxbody would when the tie rods when out)

I don't see how the axle would make my pedal lose travel on the first pump when my brake is applied, but due to the fact that this symptom appeared randomly and at the same time as my rotor started getting cut up, they may be somehow connected. I guess we will find out.
If my pedal is spongy on the first press, after the new axle-I will give it a flush, fresh fluid and bleeding.

Side note: I found it odd that when I asked to get my rotor resurfaced, they said it is not nessesary, it would "wear back flat" . Told me it was not badly cut but if I wanted it cut they would do it for an extra $80 (is that normal for cross drilled rotors? We used to do resurface of regular blank rotors for $12 at the shop I worked at few years ago). So I figured I'd save the cash and if that line is not gone after a few hundred miles then I will resurface/replace as nessesary myself.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Get thee to a dealership ASAP. Now you mention rear-end wobble. ... Several issues going on and none of them sound safe. And, no, you can't have anything done on a Porsche for $12.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Get thee to a dealership ASAP. Now you mention rear-end wobble. ... Several issues going on and none of them sound safe. And, no, you can't have anything done on a Porsche for $12.
Haha oh I definatly know I can't get nothing done on the car for $12! I just meant if re-surfacing cross drilled rotors really cost that much? I've never re-surfaced cross drilled rotors, just plain ol' blank ones . I always take em' off myself and just take to a shop.

Car has been in the shop since yesterday morning, oh trust me, there is no way I would be driving around with wobbly wheels and a rotor getting cut up! I've learned my lesson: broke one on a Honda prelude at highway speeds before.

Last edited by Pura_carrera; 09-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:17 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Something seems fishy here. I would find a good Indy shop elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Something seems fishy here. I would find a good Indy shop elsewhere.
Yea I got that feeling a bit too, but the techs were pretty reassuring and helpful and didnt try to Sell me extra things (I asked to get my rotor re-surfaced but they said it was not nessesary as the cut is not deep , they could easily got another $80 off me)

Fortunately I just picked the car up and everything is good, my brake pedal feels nice and firm as it used to. No wobbling on certain left turns. They did show me the old axle and there was a chunk broke off the tip, I should start keeping an eye on the other axle.

Thanks guys!