996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Low Idle and Stalling After Battery Charge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 PM
troti is on a distinguished road
Low Idle and Stalling After Battery Charge

I had to recharge the battery on my 03 996 2 weeks ago after I let it sit in the garage for too long. I also got a new battery tender so it would not happen again. Started it for the first time since with no issue. Let it idle for a few minutes and then backed out of garage and headed down the driveway. Got to the end of the driveway (150 ft) and the engine stalled. It started back up but idled too low stalled again. After a couple of more tries I managed to keep it running by giving it gas long enough to get it back in the garage. Now when I start it the idle fluctuates between 400-1000RPM for a few seconds and stalls. Does this have something to do with the computer idle control being out of whack from the dead battery? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:11 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by troti
I had to recharge the battery on my 03 996 2 weeks ago after I let it sit in the garage for too long. I also got a new battery tender so it would not happen again. Started it for the first time since with no issue. Let it idle for a few minutes and then backed out of garage and headed down the driveway. Got to the end of the driveway (150 ft) and the engine stalled. It started back up but idled too low stalled again. After a couple of more tries I managed to keep it running by giving it gas long enough to get it back in the garage. Now when I start it the idle fluctuates between 400-1000RPM for a few seconds and stalls. Does this have something to do with the computer idle control being out of whack from the dead battery? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mine did about the similar when I changed mine. When she idle she Went from 400-1200 rpm. Took her out and floored the pedal from 2-4 gear. And all was just fine after that

Think it is as you said, the cpu need to adapt when you pull the plug.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:21 PM
troti is on a distinguished road
Thanks SilverFizz! I tried that and it helped a little in that the car didn't stall anymore but it was still idling low and I had to nurse it a little to get going from a stop. After some more research I tried cleaning the MAF and that worked! Seems fine now.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Good to hear!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by troti
Thanks SilverFizz! I tried that and it helped a little in that the car didn't stall anymore but it was still idling low and I had to nurse it a little to get going from a stop. After some more research I tried cleaning the MAF and that worked! Seems fine now.
Unless you saw dirty cleaner coming off the MAF as you cleaned it, the MAF was not dirty.

If saw dirty cleaner coming off the MAF as you cleaned it, then you have an engine air filter problem that is letting unfiltered air into the engine. This needs to be found and fixed.

I would have suggested you do an e-Gas calibration operation.

This should be covered in your owners manual, but IIRC the steps are:

With the key off and your foot off the gas pedal turn the key to the on position. Do not try to start the engine. Keep your foot off the gas pedal.

Leave the key on for 60 seconds. Time this to be sure you leave the key on for at least 60 seconds.

After 60 seconds, turn the key off. Leave the key off for at least 10 seconds.

The calibration is complete.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
nothing wrong with the car, because your battery was dead the ECU lost all of its Calibration Data... Basically your car is a "Baby" again give it a few days to re-learn everything about life and it will be a Adult again in no time