996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch assist / booster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:56 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Clutch assist / booster

After picking up my car after the CEL/coils/spark plugs issue at the weekend the engineer asked if i had noticed how heavy the clutch was, being my first P-car i thought this was normal and speaking to other 996'ers they inform me the clutch is heavy. Anyway he tells me the clutch assist was either missing or broken (switched off when i see disappearing £££ signs) and would be approx £100 for parts and an hours labour. A quick google later i find this is a mod some user do.......WHY? if its heavy has mine it cant be enjoyable. I then found an old link for this forum from 2006 where its discussed at length.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ch-assist.html

Any one else carried out this mod, anyone else reversed this mod, anyone having aching legs each time they drive? I'm guesing you get a better feel for the car without the booster assist but must get a better drive and more responsive drive with the assist left in tact?

Thoughts?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UrsaMinor1
After picking up my car after the CEL/coils/spark plugs issue at the weekend the engineer asked if i had noticed how heavy the clutch was, being my first P-car i thought this was normal and speaking to other 996'ers they inform me the clutch is heavy. Anyway he tells me the clutch assist was either missing or broken (switched off when i see disappearing £££ signs) and would be approx £100 for parts and an hours labour. A quick google later i find this is a mod some user do.......WHY? if its heavy has mine it cant be enjoyable. I then found an old link for this forum from 2006 where its discussed at length.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ch-assist.html

Any one else carried out this mod, anyone else reversed this mod, anyone having aching legs each time they drive? I'm guesing you get a better feel for the car without the booster assist but must get a better drive and more responsive drive with the assist left in tact?

Thoughts?
My 996 Turbo has the boosted clutch feature intact and working just fine. I like it very much. While the Turbo clutch is lighter to operate than my Boxster's clutch it is still quite sensitive and I can get my car moving from a stop with no drama. Had the Turbo RMS done about 10K miles ago and with the tranny out I had a chance to check the clutch wear and with over 110K miles on the car the clutch disc had zero measurable wear.

If you want to know what the Turbo clutch would feel like without the boost with the engine off just depress and release the clutch pedal a number of times until all the accumulated boost is used up. When the clutch gets hard to operate that is what it feels like without any boost.

I've driven my share of cars with heavy clutches. I like the Turbo's lighter clutch.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Having sat in a stack of traffic on Sunday trying to cross London which took an hour to travel just 4 miles i decided to take the car to the Indy for clutch boost repair as i currently have one leg like Arnold Schwarzenegger other like Popeye's Olive Oyl. Apparently the springs were broken (not modded) leading to the heavy clutch and has been fixed today. Engineer said the clutch is still heavy indicating wear and will need attention in the new year. Also said its the worst he's ever know, this is the second time in two weeks he's made this comment the first being on my coil pack & spark plug replace - SIGHS

Just as well i really love this car although i might have to start using the Orange Tractor in the back ground as my daily

Last edited by UrsaMinor1; 11-11-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
When I did the switch the clutch was much easier to depress than it had been. I would never go back to stock.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:18 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slider
When I did the switch the clutch was much easier to depress than it had been. I would never go back to stock.
Is your cruise control still working without a 'glitch'? How the hell can the clutch be EASIER to depress after removing the assisting spring? That statement does not make any sense what so ever. Give me a break here.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I assume the cruise control still works... I've had the car over 4 years and I have never used it, but I'll give it a try and report back.

The clutch got easier to depress because there was something wrong with my accumulator since I bought the car. I thought that was how the clutch was supposed to feel, but I knew something was wrong because the pedal was very hard to depress until the engine was started - then it would drop away. The manual says it should take something like 35 pumps before it got really firm.

The GT2 setup really doesn't make it that stiff. I've had the GT2 setup for about 4 months and I still get in the car ready to press a ton and I'm still surprised how easily the pedal goes down. I haven't even discussed the new accuracy in predicting the engagement point without the accumulator - that alone is worth the expense of switching.