996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Not a good night and a worse morning!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
There you proberly have the enginenoise.

I would start to check the ignitioncoils, and / or sparkplugs.

Is the rror on a specified cylinder? Take that coil and change it to Another, and se if the missfire moves, if so, there is your bad coil.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:46 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
If the car is still on its original coils with 111k miles on it, I would recommend changing all of the coils out. Trust me, it will run much better and smoother afterwards.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
great fix on the cables! , I just hope you used the "N" rated ties

Old 11-26-2014, 06:05 AM
rockyfd is on a distinguished road
i wouldnt rely on those cable ties,good for a quick fix,and if you did get 111000 miles out of your coil paks,thats amazing! replace all 6 and the car will run so much better....good luck!!

Old 11-26-2014, 03:11 PM
538AWHP is on a distinguished road
zip tie saved the day.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Jahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really nice
Originally Posted by 538AWHP
zip tie saved the day.

Yes thank you all the zip ties are holding up great I changed thw #2 coil and spark plug and so far is running smooth.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Jahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really nice
OK so I replaced the coil and the sparkplug with new OEM parts.... I took the car for a drive and the Cel came on once i reset the Cel, So far it has come a couple of times but it only comes sometimes when the car is on Idle ( hot or cold)

any ideas?

Old 12-02-2014, 02:57 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
It should be idling at 800 revs if that is any help..... When the CEL comes on at idle, does it go off as you drive the car or do you have to reset it each time? I have the Essentiqal COmpanbion Book with me on page 206. You must have had the battery disconnected for the plug job... Try this one time.....Switch the engine on for 60 seconds without touching the starter or accelerator pedal. Then switch off the ignition for at least 10 seconds.. This action completes the basic adaptation of the throttle systems. Then run the engine (THIS IS A MUST DO) for several minutes to allow the DME (ECU) to relearn the idle speed and mixture adaptation values.

Good luck and let us know the results. The CEL should not come back on.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
It should be idling at 800 revs if that is any help..... When the CEL comes on at idle, does it go off as you drive the car or do you have to reset it each time? I have the Essentiqal COmpanbion Book with me on page 206. You must have had the battery disconnected for the plug job... Try this one time.....Switch the engine on for 60 seconds without touching the starter or accelerator pedal. Then switch off the ignition for at least 10 seconds.. This action completes the basic adaptation of the throttle systems. Then run the engine (THIS IS A MUST DO) for several minutes to allow the DME (ECU) to relearn the idle speed and mixture adaptation values.

Good luck and let us know the results. The CEL should not come back on.
It should be idling at 800 revs, Yes the car idles around 750-800

When the CEL comes on at idle, does it go off as you drive the car or do you have to reset it each time? Yes once i get on the gas and drive the cell goes off.

You must have had the battery disconnected for the plug job... Try this one time.....Switch the engine on for 60 seconds without touching the starter or accelerator pedal. Then switch off the ignition for at least 10 seconds.. This action completes the basic adaptation of the throttle systems. Then run the engine (THIS IS A MUST DO) for several minutes to allow the DME (ECU) to relearn the idle speed and mixture adaptation values.
I will try it over the weekend

Thank you again!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:56 AM

PLEASE!!!!!HELP!!!!! It seems no one knows what's wrong withthe car, I took it to several Indy shops in the area since the problem started,they ran diagnostics and replaced coils and spark plugs and the problem still exists,this morning on my way to work the d*mn CEL 0302 came back on the car startedto sputter bad I pulled over and ran a scan, the CEL was detected and cleared.The car idle just fine and I was able to make it to work. (late) lol

Does anyone have ANY Idea of what it might be?

Please Help!!!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:26 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Okay, let's try this: the code indicates misfire, now there could be other codes that are not showing up. Since it seems to be on one side, it could be an air intake leak, or a bad adjusted cam shaft(which I doubt.) So check for air leaks, also check the 02 sensors before the catalytic converters, if they go bad it could cause a misfire. I wouldn't drive until you fix it as you could destroy the cats and do harm to the engine, this is not specific to Porsche.
The o2 Sensor is usually what causes misfires on only one bank all at once because it's pretty much the only sensor that will detect output from only 1 half or 1 bank of the engine, Any other part malfunctioning and causing misfire on all cylinders in 1 bank would be purely coincidental.

Last edited by FLA996TT; 12-05-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Okay, let's try this: the code indicates misfire, now there could be other codes that are not showing up. Since it seems to be on one side, it could be an air intake leak, or a bad adjusted cam shaft(which I doubt.) So check for air leaks, also check the 02 sensors before the catalytic converters, if they go bad it could cause a misfire. I wouldn't drive until you fix it as you could destroy the cats and do harm to the engine, this is not specific to Porsche.
The o2 Sensor is usually what causes misfires on only one bank all at once because it's pretty much the only sensor that will detect output from only 1 half or 1 bank of the engine, Any other part malfunctioning and causing misfire on all cylinders in 1 bank would be purely coincidental.
I took it to an Indy and they did a smike check and it was good. They also ran CEL scan and the only one was P0302, this is a problem that has been going on for a while now the car has been in 3 diffrent shops and the same parts are being checked and replaced.

Q: If it was the one o2 sensor wouldnt it be misfirering on 3cyl instread of just 1 cyl?

Also when at a stand still (idle) the CEL starts flashing and the car shakes but once I get it in gear and drive the car the Cel goes away automatically, It happend this morning and when I manually reset it, It didnt come again at all for bout 10 miles, then I was in stop and go traffic and it idle and ran fine. Thats why im clueless here......

Last edited by Jahre 40AE; 12-05-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Flashing cel means catalytic converter damage is going to occur if you keep driving the car.
I suggest you get it to a dealer because you have a problem, and as far as the codes go, you could have some hidden codes that are not showing up.

Fault Code Definition
  • Misfire Detected in #2 Cylinder
Symptoms
  • Check Engine Light flashing
  • Rough running, hesitation, and/or jerking when accelerating
  • In most cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver
  • In some cases, there may be performance problems, such as dying at stop signs or rough idling, hesitation, misfires or lack of power (especially during acceleration), and a decrease in fuel economy
Common Problems That Trigger theP0302
  • Worn out spark plugs, ignition wires, coil(s), distributor cap and rotor (when applicable)
  • Incorrect ignition timing
  • Vacuum leak(s)
  • Low or weak fuel pressure
  • Improperly functioning EGR system
  • Defective Mass Air Flow Sensor
  • Defective Crankshaft and/or Camshaft Sensor
  • Defective Throttle Position Sensor
  • Mechanical engine problems (i.e.—low compression, leaking head gasket(s), or valve problems

Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM
I went ahead and scheduled an appoiment with the PORSCHE dealer to drop off the car thursday

Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Excellent decision.

Originally Posted by Jahre 40AE
I went ahead and scheduled an appoiment with the PORSCHE dealer to drop off the car thursday

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not a good night and a worse morning!!!!