996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Not a good night and a worse morning!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
You should have them pull the oil filter housing & inspect the filter for foreign material, especially metal. If any is found they should remove the oil sump pan & inspect there. Also should inspect the #2 cylinder with a borescope thru the sparkplug hole. Don't underestimate what can happen @ 100K+ miles! Heard of several engine failures in 40th annv. cars.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Jahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really nice
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
You should have them pull the oil filter housing & inspect the filter for foreign material, especially metal. If any is found they should remove the oil sump pan & inspect there. Also should inspect the #2 cylinder with a borescope thru the sparkplug hole. Don't underestimate what can happen @ 100K+ miles! Heard of several engine failures in 40th annv. cars.

Ok I will make sure they know. thank you

Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Jahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really nice
Well drove the car all day today and nothing im tired of this hit and miss Cel......

Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Update: the CEL came back!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I wouldn't be driving it, but it does sound like an O2 sensor, you are using premium gas right?

Originally Posted by Jahre 40AE
Update: the CEL came back!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
I wouldn't be driving it, but it does sound like an O2 sensor, you are using premium gas right?
Yes I am always using 93 octane as far as the o2 sensor wouldn't it also be egisterinf other cylinders instead of just selling the number 2

Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Fierofly is on a distinguished road
I've had similar problems with GM cars, intermittent miss fires, then it would say a certain cylinder miss fire, found a corroded battery terminal after changing plugs, wires etc. Check ALL the engine grounds also.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Fierofly
I've had similar problems with GM cars, intermittent miss fires, then it would say a certain cylinder miss fire, found a corroded battery terminal after changing plugs, wires etc. Check ALL the engine grounds also.
Thank you ill check it tonight when i get home.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Ok so I took the car to the Porsche dealership and after a day of them having the 911 guess what? THE DAMN CEL NEVER CAME ON...... so they couldnt diagnose anyting they checked all the electrical from front to back, they did a smoke check ..... I have been driving the car w/o any issues so far. I wonder what it could have been. ???

Old 12-20-2014, 03:16 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Ok so I took the car to the Porsche dealership and after a day of them having the 911 guess what? THE DAMN CEL NEVER CAME ON...... so they couldnt diagnose anyting they checked all the electrical from front to back, they did a smoke check ..... I have been driving the car w/o any issues so far. I wonder what it could have been. ???

Hi, that sounds wery weird, if you have a cel they should be able to get the errorcodes, even if the cel dosnt show at the time.

Is the car running good now? If the cells come and goes, it could might be a vacumleak. Check the airfilter housing!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Even if you take the car to a dealer/shop you are responsible for being able to describe as accurately as you can the circumstances under which the symptom, in this case, a misfire, occurs.

Ideally you want to demo the behavior to the tech and then have him reproduce it.

If I have read the posts properly plugs and coils have been replaced and the misfire remains at the #2 cylinder.

Are there any pending codes? I'm thinking perhaps an error code related to O2 sensors or even a VarioCam Plus error.

A persistent and isolated misfire error code with one cylinder suggests a problem with the intake valve lifters or lifter. One (or both) may have developed a problem with their low to high lift system.

There is a test in the misfire section of the factory manual that checks for proper operation of the VarioCam Plus system. If the techs can't find another explanation for this misfire the test should probably be run.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Macster
Even if you take the car to a dealer/shop you are responsible for being able to describe as accurately as you can the circumstances under which the symptom, in this case, a misfire, occurs.

Ideally you want to demo the behavior to the tech and then have him reproduce it.

If I have read the posts properly plugs and coils have been replaced and the misfire remains at the #2 cylinder.

Are there any pending codes? I'm thinking perhaps an error code related to O2 sensors or even a VarioCam Plus error.

A persistent and isolated misfire error code with one cylinder suggests a problem with the intake valve lifters or lifter. One (or both) may have developed a problem with their low to high lift system.

There is a test in the misfire section of the factory manual that checks for proper operation of the VarioCam Plus system. If the techs can't find another explanation for this misfire the test should probably be run.

Did the Tech do a leakdowntest or comptest? As Macster says, if the code are isolated to cylinder nr 2 it could also be nonelectrical problem causing the missfire in the Engine.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by silverfizz
Did the Tech do a leakdowntest or comptest? As Macster says, if the code are isolated to cylinder nr 2 it could also be nonelectrical problem causing the missfire in the Engine.
Yes a leakdown test was done and it was fine, According to the history (service records) of this car this problem has been going on for several years, The CEL is not constant it comes and goes, sometimes it will go 6 months and wont come on. BUT I decided to take a chance, I drove the car to PA and back and NO issues, Ive been driving the car all week and thanks to this Marvels Mistery Oil No CEL at all no shaking no sputtering, I put 1/3 of a bottle in the gas tank and the baby purrssss like a kitten.

Ideally you want to demo the behavior to the tech and then have him reproduce it. Yes I described it to the best that i could.

If I have read the posts properly plugs and coils have been replaced and the misfire remains at the #2 cylinder. Yes Plugs, Coils and Injectors

Are there any pending codes? I'm thinking perhaps an error code related to O2 sensors or even a VarioCam Plus error. No Pending Codes

A persistent and isolated misfire error code with one cylinder suggests a problem with the intake valve lifters or lifter. One (or both) may have developed a problem with their low to high lift system. A Leakdown test was done and it was good.

There is a test in the misfire section of the factory manual that checks for proper operation of the VarioCam Plus system. If the techs can't find another explanation for this misfire the test should probably be run. If it returns i will look into that, Thank you

Last edited by Jahre 40AE; 01-02-2015 at 06:35 AM.