996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Not a good night and a worse morning!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Jahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really nice
Not a good night and a worse morning!!!!

Ok Here is a little history, I have a 2004 911 (996) 40th AE has the 3.6 X51 engine and with 111k miles, The car has performed perfect since I bought it 5 months ago, On my way home yesterday as I was taking off 1st gear was fine went to 2nd fine then when I went to 3rd ...... nothing the stick shift was in the 3rd gear position and nothing it felt like it was in neutral I went 4th and same thing so i went back to 2nd and it engaged and i was able to pull in somewhere. I pulled over turned the car off and restart it the car ( NO CODES) she ran perfect for about 15 miles, I got home and parked it. This morning when I went to warm up the car it started to make a winning and clanking ( The wimming was constantly, the knocking noise was repeatedly but like every 5 seconds there was a clanking noise) The noise was coming from the engine bay, I shut the car off and here I am looking for suggestions.
Thank you in advance.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Jahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really niceJahre 40AE is just really nice
Anyone?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
I wasn’t following… did you get the car in 3rd or 4th once you shut the car off and restarted or did you limp home in 2nd gear?The car not going into 3rd and 4th gear sounds like a broken shift cable or linkage that has been disconnected which isn’t uncommon.It’s typically an easy fix if you look underneath the car where the ball linkage attached to the transmission.

The whirring/clanking noise is discerning and if you say it’s coming from the engine, I’d just have the car flat bedded to your mechanic w/o even starting it.It could simply be the transmission is stuck between gears due to the broken linkage (I’ve heard noises like this before when the car is not fully engaged in a gear) but w/o hearing the noise myself, it would be safer to have a pro look at it.

But first get down under the rear and see if the shift linkages look intact @ the transmission.If not there, it may be a broken cable or linkage under the center console.If the ball linkages under the car look good, pop them off and see how easily the cable moves.Can you tell if one of the cables is broken by manually sliding it?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by b2sc
I wasn’t following… did you get the car in 3rd or 4th once you shut the car off and restarted or did you limp home in 2nd gear?The car not going into 3rd and 4th gear sounds like a broken shift cable or linkage that has been disconnected which isn’t uncommon.It’s typically an easy fix if you look underneath the car where the ball linkage attached to the transmission.

The whirring/clanking noise is discerning and if you say it’s coming from the engine, I’d just have the car flat bedded to your mechanic w/o even starting it.It could simply be the transmission is stuck between gears due to the broken linkage (I’ve heard noises like this before when the car is not fully engaged in a gear) but w/o hearing the noise myself, it would be safer to have a pro look at it.

But first get down under the rear and see if the shift linkages look intact @ the transmission.If not there, it may be a broken cable or linkage under the center console.If the ball linkages under the car look good, pop them off and see how easily the cable moves.Can you tell if one of the cables is broken by manually sliding it?
As soon as i get home after work ill check the cables TY as far as your 1st question yes once i re-started the car i was able to go through all 6 gears w/o any issues till i got home.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:13 AM
WOW 120 views and noone but one person knows lol

Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
The reason no one is replying. It's not something that happens every day. Thats the only reason so don't feel as posters are ignoring you. Far from it.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I dunno, im leaning towards shifter cables not adjusted right,mine broke and nothing going on
or if there is a neutral clutch safety switch???

Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 PM
mhs525 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
The reason no one is replying. It's not something that happens every day. Thats the only reason so don't feel as posters are ignoring you. Far from it.
I agree...

Definitely an uncommon set of circumstances and describing noises in words is very hard for a reader to interpret.

Back in the day I had an old Camaro with a very worn shift linkage that very occasionally would lock up the transmission at the worst possible times (like at a red light, in rush hour traffic, in the rain). A new shifter and linkage solved the problem but there was never any strange noises or other symptoms.

If the car runs and shifts fine now I would still have it looked at. If it is making scary noises from the engine/trans area I would have a flat bed take it to the shop.

Please keep us posted as I am super curious as to what's up with your ride. Fingers crossed its nothing to serious/expensive.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Hi

I would start with checking the Cables for the shifter, get under the car with a flashlight and you should see them conected to the gearbox.

After you restarted the car did it ran fine in 3:rd and 4:rd, or just 2:rd?

If not and the Cables are ok, its porberly inside the gearbox.

Sometimes sounds can apear from one Place but actually be from Another.

Let us know how the Cables look as a starter.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Thank you all for the help. this is what I found and how I fixed it.

Jacked up the car and worked from the ground.

Found both cables dethatched.

Slide then back to where they belong.

$2.49 Zip Ties.

Zip Tie them tight!!!!!!

Secured the cables with Zip Ties and the 911 is shifting like new...... thank you all again!!!!!!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jahre 40AE
This morning when I went to warm up the car it started to make a winning and clanking ( The wimming was constantly, the knocking noise was repeatedly but like every 5 seconds there was a clanking noise) The noise was coming from the engine bay, I shut the car off and here I am looking for suggestions.
The noise coming from the engine bay would be my biggest concern. Did that stop as well?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
The noise coming from the engine bay would be my biggest concern. Did that stop as well?

Yes it did I drove the car about 150 miles today and nothing the car was great and the engine noise GONE......

Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 AM
silverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud ofsilverfizz has much to be proud of
Good job, have the same "mod" on my car

Well, if the noise is gone, I would drive it as usually, and take that problem if it ocours once more!

Old 11-23-2014, 02:45 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Now that was an easy fix. I bet you wish all DIY work was as easy as that one lol. Well done.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Now that was an easy fix. I bet you wish all DIY work was as easy as that one lol. Well done.
Yes, but now im faced with another issue. P0302 Misfire GRRRRRR!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not a good night and a worse morning!!!!