996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Radio Turns On then Off Then On Then Off Then On...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:56 AM
cinellipro is on a distinguished road
Radio Turns On then Off Then On Then Off Then On...

Hello. I have a CR-210 radio with the CD changer in the frunk of my "1999 911 996 Narrow Body C2 Manual, Eternally Fixed IMS Carrera."

Every morning, the radio turns on then off numerous times before it seems to warm up and play normally. This process can take up to 10 minutes before the switching stabilizes.

Anyone had experience with this? Is there a repair or should I just replace the unit.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
I would at least check all connections and earthing system. I have the same system and that is not the normal behavior. BTW I have the same year of 996.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 AM
bal
bal is on a distinguished road
You might want to pull the unit and connect a voltmeter to the power terminals on the harness going to the radio. At least you'll know if it is the power that is intermittent or something to do with the unit or elsewhere in the audio system causing it to shut off.

It sounds like this only happens when it is cold? What if you do not have the cabin heat on?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Seems that once the electronics gets hot the problem goes away; this indictes to me possibly a damaged circuit board..connectivity stabilizes when hot because the expanding pieces make firmer contact.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your responses. I checked, the problem is internal and it is temperature sensitive. During cooler (Miami) mornings the cycling takes longer before it stabilizes and stays on. It might be time for an upgrade.
Cheers.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a classic case of a cracked or "cold" solder joint in the power supply area of the circuit. generally speaking these types of faults are easily repairable. Unfortunately, just getting to them can be a major pita. If you're handy, my suggestion would be to pull the unit out, expose the main circuit board and just re-touch all the solder joints where the main power comes in. If this is too much for your skill level or patience, send the unit back to Becker for repair or swap...Or, get a new unit

Old 01-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Removed the radio after the radio keys arrived. Cleaned up the connectors with electrical contact cleaner. Installed the radio and it works perfectly now. What was interesting was the security code found in the owners manual was written on the radio chassis. I'm thinking the previous owner probably thought if a thief takes the risk, time and effort to steal a radio there should be a reward for that accomplishment. Can't really argue with that so the numbers stay. Just making the world a better place by paying it forward. Cheers!

Cheers!

Last edited by cinellipro; 01-31-2015 at 04:08 PM.