996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Suspension Overhaul Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 AM
cerg82 is on a distinguished road
Suspension Overhaul Advice

Hi Everyone!

After 105,000 miles (only 3,000 are mine) my cab needs a suspension overhaul. I already purchased a Koni Sport kit, so while I'm at it, I want to change any other suspension component that may need replacement.
Speaking with the two mechanics that usually work on my car I get two different opinions: one says that only the bump stops need to be replaced and the other one wants to change everything (I guess for obviou$ rea$on$ ). From visual inspection, I can tell that bushings may need replacement but I don't know what else suffers the most from usual wear.
I don't track my car but I'm planning to do one or two DE's this year so I won't be considering adjustable camber plates, or solid bushings.
I've already searched the forum on this topic but haven't found much; any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
There are exceptions of course but a full suspension overhaul is rarely needed even at 105K miles.

In one of the UK Porsche mags some few years ago a Boxster owner had a full suspension rebuild done using aftermarket parts and while some of the old hardware looked pretty bad and of course the new hardware -- bright red (powder coated I guess)) -- was gorgeous he reported no change in the way the car felt afterwards.

Then he put the car up for sale.

My 03 Turbo's stock/factory suspension is just fine with 131K miles on it and my 02 Boxster's suspension is just fine with over 288K miles on it.

I've asked the techs about suspension work on my Boxster but all have advised against it, not even shocks as long as the shocks aren't leaking and there are no signs of any suspension/steering bushing/link issues. Now the Boxster did manifest at least one front swap bar drop link dust boot split and I had both drop links replaced even though I could have run the links for thousands of miles longer before the link developed any wear from exposure to dust/dirt.

My opinion is if the bump stops are intact and there are no signs of any issues just install the Koni Sport kit hardware, do a proper alignment afterwards, and resume driving the car.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Shocks, springs to match new shocks, and sway bars and drop links is what I would do. Bushings and bump stops if / where necessary.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
To get back that tight feel after 100k miles, I would think about getting control arms, tie rods, and engine mounts. Yes, engine mounts is like getting new suspension in terms of feel too.

If you check carefully and find no play whatsoever, you can defer the items above but you'll probably need to do it sometime soon based on my experience of owning quite a few high mileage cars. Of course if you're the cruiser type, it might not really matter to you.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:18 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
If you decide on engine mounts go with Function First. I did the mounts and transmission mount inserts and it makes a huge difference. It takes a while for them to break in and bed but when they do the noise and vibration settles down a lot.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:28 AM
b-man will become famous soon enough
I have a manual transmission 2002 C2 coupe. I installed the Function First transmission mount insert (the softer yelllow version) and it made a huge difference in how easy it is to shift and how well the car handles (the car feels much "tighter" for lack of a better word). I know it may sound crazy to bring up transmission mounts in response to your question. But the difference is shocking.

I did not install their engine mounts. I still have the stock mounts. I didn't want any additional noise/sound. But my guess is that they will probably also help handling significantly as alpine003 and FLAT996TT stated.

I posted a review of the transmission mount insert here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rt-review.html

cerg82, if you have a manual transmission car, I think the transmission mount insert is the first thing you should do. It's cheap and easy.

b-man

Old 01-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by b-man
I have a manual transmission 2002 C2 coupe. I installed the Function First transmission mount insert (the softer yelllow version) and it made a huge difference in how easy it is to shift and how well the car handles (the car feels much "tighter" for lack of a better word). I know it may sound crazy to bring up transmission mounts in response to your question. But the difference is shocking.

I did not install their engine mounts. I still have the stock mounts. I didn't want any additional noise/sound. But my guess is that they will probably also help handling significantly as alpine003 and FLAT996TT stated.

I posted a review of the transmission mount insert here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rt-review.html

cerg82, if you have a manual transmission car, I think the transmission mount insert is the first thing you should do. It's cheap and easy.

b-man
Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm glad both FLA996TT & b-man brought up the engine mounts (and transmission) in this issue. The engine was rebuilt 1,000 miles ago and we noticed that mounts would need replacement soon, so I think your suggestion is valid and will be taken into consideration. As of transmission mount, we will be checking for axle bearing wear since there's a humming coming presumably from the transmission (manual) or somewhere nearby only heard when moving and intensifies with speed. If the transmission needs to be taken out (again ) then it could be a good idea to replace the mount.
Is Function First the manufacturer and vendor or are there others sources to get the mounts?

Thanks!!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by cerg82
I'm glad both FLA996TT & b-man brought up the engine mounts (and transmission) in this issue. The engine was rebuilt 1,000 miles ago and we noticed that mounts would need replacement soon, so I think your suggestion is valid and will be taken into consideration. As of transmission mount, we will be checking for axle bearing wear since there's a humming coming presumably from the transmission (manual) or somewhere nearby only heard when moving and intensifies with speed. If the transmission needs to be taken out (again ) then it could be a good idea to replace the mount.
Is Function First the manufacturer and vendor or are there others sources to get the mounts?

Thanks!!
Function First is a manufacturer and vendor of these mounts. I have also seen them for sale (under the Function First name) from other vendors (like Pelican Parts).

There are also other companies which manufacture transmission mounts for our cars. I am not an expert on these. But I looked at different transmission mounts and went with Function First simply because it was the only one (which I could find) that could be installed without removing the transmission.

With Function First's product, the two halves just slide into the gaps of the existing mount from both sides. They are held in by the existing bracket. The simplicity is genius.

With all of the other companies' mounts I saw, you have to remove the transmission to install it and/or saw the original out and/or press it out with a hydraulic press or something else. That may not be an issue for you. But there was no way I was going to do any of those things.

I'm curious, is this car your daily driver?

b-man

Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 AM
Function First is the manufacture, and you buy direct. You have to send back your old mounts.

Originally Posted by cerg82

Thanks!!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
You have to send back your old mounts.
Just to be clear, I think FLA996TT's comment is about their engine mounts (with which I have no experience).

I was commenting on their transmission mounts, and you don't have to send anything back with those.

b-man

Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Undercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond reputeUndercover Tuning has a reputation beyond repute
Pm sent we can help you source the parts needed for the best pricing

Undercoverperformanceinc@gmail.com
Lawerence
856-382-7543

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Just to be clear, I think FLA996TT's comment is about their engine mounts (with which I have no experience).

I was commenting on their transmission mounts, and you don't have to send anything back with those.

b-man
I checked their website and saw the terms for engine and transmission mounts. If I do it, I'll do both.
b-man - I try to drive the car at least once a week, since it is not my DD. I take it to work sometimes but it's no fun being stuck in heavy traffic in a car with manual transmission (although my daughter loves to be taken to school in it ). On Sundays, if weather is nice, we usually take it for a trip. That's why I have only added 3,000 miles to it in 3 years.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
You are correct! I was commenting on the engine mounts having to be sent back. Transmission mount inserts just fill in the void on the oem parts.

Sorry I wasn't more clear...good catch.

b-man

Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Just be aware that doing both mounts to poly introduces quite a bit more nvh for some people. For people that want a more refined ride tend to just stick with poly engine mounts. On the other hand if you're used to driving older sports cars with nvh or want the most raw sensation, then doing both shouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Just be aware that doing both mounts to poly introduces quite a bit more nvh for some people. For people that want a more refined ride tend to just stick with poly engine mounts. On the other hand if you're used to driving older sports cars with nvh or want the most raw sensation, then doing both shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the warning. I had a '91 Miata with Koni/Eibach suspension as a daily driver for years and a Fiat Spyder in college; I've had some experience with NVH .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Overhaul Advice