996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

thought's on Fabspeed competiton intake sys ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Here is mine

Hi

here some pics of my Fabspeed comp Intake. It rubbed already the seconed Porsche Sticker which is 10 bucks each over here in germany. Hopefully Joe from Fabspeed can help before I burn more money in ordering the Porsche Stickers for nothing

Attached Images    
Old 03-03-2015, 12:11 PM
peteb3 is on a distinguished road
Exactly
I don't see how adjusting can get rid of rubbing
It's the electric fan above the intake that rubs
As far as I can tell nothing can be adjusted to fix the issue

Old 03-03-2015, 06:05 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
well that suck, I haven't install mine yet cause its too damn cold, raining, ice, sleet , snow in TX. Is it possible to move the fan housing to the right side to prevent rubbing? Guess I'll find out when ever I install it.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by peteb3
Exactly
I don't see how adjusting can get rid of rubbing
It's the electric fan above the intake that rubs
As far as I can tell nothing can be adjusted to fix the issue
Exactly. The only thing that can be done is move the fan or cut part of it which is what I did before when I had one. Not ideal solution as something like this should've been plug and play.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Hi

here some pics of my Fabspeed comp Intake. It rubbed already the seconed Porsche Sticker which is 10 bucks each over here in germany. Hopefully Joe from Fabspeed can help before I burn more money in ordering the Porsche Stickers for nothing

Wow, that rub mark would drive me nuts...Very nice aesthetically if the fitment was good.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 PM
RGrove has a spectacular aura aboutRGrove has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by peteb3
Mine is adjusted as low as can be, but it still rubs
Mine as well. And that still doesnt change the fact that one of the filter ends still rubs even when fully seated

Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RGrove
Mine as well. And that still doesnt change the fact that one of the filter ends still rubs even when fully seated
Mine rubs also.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 AM
BigDaddy will become famous soon enoughBigDaddy will become famous soon enough
Hi

how do you clean the Filters ??

Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 AM
RGrove has a spectacular aura aboutRGrove has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
If anyone has any fitment issues, please feel free to reach out to us - service@fabspeed.com or contact me directly at Joe.Neill@fabspeed.com, or even give your Fabspeed distrubutor a shout, any of us would be happy to assist!
To what end? I was one of the first people to get one last may when it came out, and got it with no instructions, had to find some of the hardware on my own, and when I tried to get help via email and phone on the fitment issues, got NO response. I gave up. What would you propose to remedy it now, nearly a year after install? I shouldn't have to CUT AWAY part of my car to get it to fit, and you should stand behind your products and have better customer service.
Sorry, but this has been a sore spot. For ~$800, the part should fit. My thought is it should be formed with a slight indentation for the cooling fan cage, and the tubes should be a little shorter to give the filter ends more room.
So I will ask again: what is your proposed remedy for the fitment issues, and parts damaged from rubbing? Clearly several of us have had the same issue.

Last edited by RGrove; 03-05-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RGrove
To what end? I was one of the first people to get one last may when it came out, and got it with no instructions, had to find some of the hardware on my own, and when I tried to get help via email and phone on the fitment issues, got NO response. I gave up. What would you propose to remedy it now, nearly a year after install? I shouldn't have to CUT AWAY part of my car to get it to fit, and you should stand behind your products and have better customer service.
Sorry, but this has been a sore spot. For ~$800, the part should fit. My thought is it should be formed with a slight indentation for the cooling fan cage, and the tubes should be a little shorter to give the filter ends more room.
So I will ask again: what is your proposed remedy for the fitment issues, and parts damaged from rubbing? Clearly several of us have had the same issue.
I apologize that your customer service inquiry was not addressed at that time. All the hardware should have been included, there is no excuse for that and I do apologize. I wouldn't recommend cutting anything considering we install these units daily and have yet to cut the car up. If there is a fitment issue that cannot be remedied, please contact Service@Fabspeed.com and CC myself - Joe.Neill@Fabspeed.com or call us at 215-646-4945. If there is something wrong with your product, we will take care of it, if it is something that can be adjusted - we will walk you through it.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Hi

how do you clean the Filters ??

If you have the gray filters, they are dry filters. They can simply be cleaned with soap and water and then blown out with compressed air to dry.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
I apologize that your customer service inquiry was not addressed at that time. All the hardware should have been included, there is no excuse for that and I do apologize. I wouldn't recommend cutting anything considering we install these units daily and have yet to cut the car up. If there is a fitment issue that cannot be remedied, please contact Service@Fabspeed.com and CC myself - Joe.Neill@Fabspeed.com or call us at 215-646-4945. If there is something wrong with your product, we will take care of it, if it is something that can be adjusted - we will walk you through it.
Installing is fine, it "fits" and you don't notice the interference with the fan. You can install it all day long without having to cut up parts on the car.The problem is after using it for a while your nice shiny $800 dollar carbon tube has rub marks on it because of the tight fitment.

I don't think you are hearing us, there is nothing that can be adjusted to make the rubbing disappear short of modifying the stock electrical fan situated directly above the intake - by cutting/grinding it

What good will calling you now do, this is an inherent design flaw that only shows itself after prolonged use
maybe its not a serious matter, more of an annoyance, but if one of the reasons to use it (along with the supposed performance gain) is for aesthetics, this "rubbing" quickly starts to take away from the visual impact of the intake in the engine bay

Have you looked at cars you installed this intake on, say a month or few months after install to witness this "rubbing" - I doubt it

Old 03-08-2015, 02:27 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Finally installed my intake

(re-edited previous post about fitment issue)

well I finally installed my intake. The heat shield seems to be taller & wider than what I saw on Fabspeed video & pics from some member cars. Must be the updated version I guess. The rubber bushing does not fit at all even with heavy forcing so I decided to shave down some rubber. There's 3 holes on the left side of the heat shield. Whats's it for?? Overall, fitment was ok, a bit tight with this new heat shield. It look great though, however the rubbing everyone mention does rub. You can't lower it down any lower cause the filter are bottom out to the base. There's a slight rub on mine from pic#4. It's not noticeable from a far. Guess I'll check it again after a few long drive if the rubbing get any worse. But for now I can live with it. IMO, the down tube needs to be more angle to the right away from the fan housing. Or go with smaller filter so the down tube can bend down lower to have more clearance

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	415834   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	415835   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-3.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	415836  
Attached Images  

Last edited by MkC2S; 03-08-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Here's my rub:

Name:  image-2845345893.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  582.4 KB

Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 PM
yikes, anymore rubbing like that will eventually eat a hole. Mine is like a light smear & hopefully stay that way. But again it shouldn't be rubbing at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thought's on Fabspeed competiton intake sys ??