996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:13 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Flashing CEL

Happily rolling along northbound on I-95 when the CEL starts flashing and I notice a lost of power. I immediately pull over, check all the vitals ( oil, water, etc ) were all okay, but I noticed a rough idle and a serious stumble on acceleration to get off the highway. The CEL finally went solid and I limped it home. Today I was able to pull the codes and got misfires on 1,2 and 6. My first thought was that it was just the plugs. Since I've had the car over a year now, that has been the only job I had not tackled yet. Since purchasing there has been a new water pump, AOS, belt, headlight switch, oil changes and new convertible top.

Today I got under there and pulled the coils and spark plugs. The plugs looked fine , but the coils were a different story. Long story short I replaced all the plugs and new coils. All is well. Just wanted to post this for anyone they may experience the same issue.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
Wow mate... "You should continue to use them." haha

Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Wow. That's the worst external coilpack failure I've seen.

Glad it was a simple fix for you.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Well done.

How many miles were on the coils and plugs?

Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Maybe it is just me but I would have expected whoever did the work on your car to inspect the engine, and the coils, and he would have seen the sorry state of the coils -- they didn't just get that overnight -- you should have been informed of the sorry state of the coils way before the engine misfired so you could have the coils done at the same time other work was being performed.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by white out
Wow. That's the worst external coilpack failure I've seen.

Glad it was a simple fix for you.
+996. I'm very surprised your engine didn't run like crap earlier or your ecu didn't complain before. Must be the salt from the ocean breeze that coated them and provided done layer if insulating properties. J/k

Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Those coils have been toast for months. I'm amazed you didn't get misfires until they all went together.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 AM
UrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enoughUrsaMinor1 will become famous soon enough
Had exactly the same issue as this last year and only about a 1 week after buying the car. Mine were almost but not as bad (you win). Did you replace them yourself and can i ask how much it cost you?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
It's always nice when you can diagnose a situation just by looking at it.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:58 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
wow

Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by b2sc
It's always nice when you can diagnose a situation just by looking at it.
It's a talent I got from owning several Land Rovers, lol.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by UrsaMinor1
Had exactly the same issue as this last year and only about a 1 week after buying the car. Mine were almost but not as bad (you win). Did you replace them yourself and can i ask how much it cost you?
All total about $600.00 for 6 coils and 6 plugs. All Beru parts. It's running super. Cheers

Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
Those coils have been toast for months. I'm amazed you didn't get misfires until they all went together.
I was too Slider. Back in November I did 3,000 mile trip up around and down the east coast from Florida and back. Just outta the blue those coils all went at the same time.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Maybe it is just me but I would have expected whoever did the work on your car to inspect the engine, and the coils, and he would have seen the sorry state of the coils -- they didn't just get that overnight -- you should have been informed of the sorry state of the coils way before the engine misfired so you could have the coils done at the same time other work was being performed.
You're absolutely right. I take full responsibility for not doing a better inspection when I was under there changing the oil etc. Next time I get under there I will not be in such a rush or be distracted. It's been a learning curve for me with this car, loving every minute of it.