996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Is this normal for driver airbag?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM
MothXz is on a distinguished road
Is this normal for driver airbag?

i just switched out the headlight switch and decided to tackle the indicator stalk unit. Now that everything is back together the airbag seems a little loose. No matter how much pressure I put on the airbag while I'm tightening the screws in the back the end result is always like the video below. Never really payed attention the airbag unit now so maybe it's supposed to have a little give but not sure. It just seems a tad loose. Thoughts?

Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 PM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
Says "Sorry this video has been renamed or deleted by the owner."

Old 02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Really? Sorry, photobucket is very buggy on my iPad. Try the links below

http://vid326.photobucket.com/albums...8768C25573.mp4

http://vid326.photobucket.com/albums...AB26951E80.mp4

Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 PM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
Looks normal to me.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:54 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
I just checked mine and it's not loose at all, but that doesn't mean yours is not correct.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Was it like that before you removed it the first time? It does need to "rock" a bit so you can engage the horn(s). This being said, judging by your video it does seem a little too loose. Does it rattle if you drive over a bump road? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you've got one or both of the fastening screws cross-threaded, so even though it feels like it's tight, it's not snugging up the airbag. Good luck

Old 02-21-2015, 04:39 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Could also be that the rubbery bits that let it move are starting to go. There is a DIY for a homemade solution or you can replace the whole bracket. If the horn sometimes goes off when you hit a good bump or if it seems too easy to sound the horn, this is probably your issue.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Was it like that before you removed it the first time? It does need to "rock" a bit so you can engage the horn(s). This being said, judging by your video it does seem a little too loose. Does it rattle if you drive over a bump road? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you've got one or both of the fastening screws cross-threaded, so even though it feels like it's tight, it's not snugging up the airbag. Good luck
I never really payed attention to the tightness of the airbag prior to removing it. It doesn't rattle though I noticed the left horn is a tad easier to sound the horn than the right side. I have to push the right side much harder.

Could also be that the rubbery bits that let it move are starting to go. There is a DIY for a homemade solution or you can replace the whole bracket. If the horn sometimes goes off when you hit a good bump or if it seems too easy to sound the horn, this is probably your issue.
What's the DIY solution and what bracket are you referring too? The horn doesn't go off when I hit a bump or drive

Old 03-06-2015, 06:32 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
For a 4 spoke wheel, but it should give you the idea:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-for-help.html

Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Took pics and things seem normal. Maybe that's just the way the airbag rests for me...