996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Noise Reduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
I agree. The car is well deadened in many areas. For those areas we can't expect any help from Dynamat. Dynamat can't dampen the already dampened.

That said, the doors can benefit, and the Sound Absorber material and Sound barrier material should help.

I'm pulling the interior rear panels off to upgrade to a 5.25" speaker, mounted behind the panel. While there I'll give the area the full 3 stage treatment. Deadener, Radiant Barrier and Sound Barrier.

I downloaded another app call "db Volume". It seems far more realistic. The SUV doors closed, engine off is 44db, engine on idling is 47db, cruising speeds up to 80 it approaches 56db tops.

Will similarly test the C2.

Scale to understand db readings. 60db is an ordinary conversation.
40db, 1/4th as loud as ordinary conversation
50db, 1/2 as loud as ordinary conversation
60db, Ordinary Conversation
70db, Twice as loud as ordinary conversation

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM
dallas996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996_911C2_Dhru
Did some more research and decided to go with 3 different products.

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...mpening-guide/

CLD (vibration reducer) - CONSTRAINED LAYER DAMPER (Dynamat on the metal)

CCF (sound absorber) - CLOSED CELL FOAM (found a low cost one at Home Depot)

MLV (sound barrier) - MASS LOADED VINYL (found a low cost one at Home Depot)

Doors, under the carpets (front and rear), rear shelf, removing the plastic trim panel that houses the rear speakers and will have them do over the wheel wells and behind that panel.

I should have the slowest 996 by the end of this. Going to wire my rearview camera at the same time since so much of the interior will be apart.
That's a good aproach. As you've learned, it takes more than one product to quiet the interior of a vehicle. You fighting multiple frequency ranges, and each product targets a specific range.

Dyynamat doesn't do a lot in these cars because there isn't a lot of panel resonance. Mass loaded materials will do better to actually block sound coming into the vehicle.

I've also considered bedlining the wheel wells, because they do seem to allow a lot of noise to enter the car.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM
This is 5 years of ownership for me. So I think the noise was more acceptable or not even noticed when I bought it. I'm at a point now where I want it to be a little more refined.

Not sure what will fit in the doors.
1. Dynamat - Will fit for sure
2. Radiant Barrier (.375" thick - this might be tight or need to be done partially)
3. Sound Barrier - Will fit for sure.
4. OEM Moisture Barrier - Not sure if this fits or if Sound Barrier can becomes the new moisture barrier

I'm thinking 1, 3 and hopefully 4.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
BTW. Does your car have carpeting under the seats? I have a '99 and there is NO carpeting under the seats - its just metal. I think they changed this in later years.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:16 PM
There is carpeting under part of the front seats but not all. If I slide the seat forward all the way it exposes some metal. I would think yours is the same way right?

Old 04-02-2015, 02:43 PM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
if I recall correctly, mine looks something like this (pic not from my car). Seems like there is definitely room for improvement.

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
cinellipro is on a distinguished road
Just to summarize what's been so expertly stated earlier, one of the big misconceptions about Dynamat is that it be used solely to reduce noise. Dynamat primarily dampens or reduce resonance/vibration on the metal panel it is applied to but it should not be used to cover an entire panel. If you want to effectively reduce noise I recommend installing 20-50% Dynamat per panel and cover the entire area with a sound deadening foam cell like material that can be purchased at Home Depot as earlier mentioned or Parts Express. There’s also a CCF material called Overkill Pro from Second Skin. That, with Dynamat reduces vibration and noise.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM
racesx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cinellipro
Just to summarize what's been so expertly stated earlier, one of the big misconceptions about Dynamat is that it be used solely to reduce noise. Dynamat primarily dampens or reduce resonance/vibration on the metal panel it is applied to but it should not be used to cover an entire panel. If you want to effectively reduce noise I recommend installing 20-50% Dynamat per panel and cover the entire area with a sound deadening foam cell like material that can be purchased at Home Depot as earlier mentioned or Parts Express. There’s also a CCF material called Overkill Pro from Second Skin. That, with Dynamat reduces vibration and noise.
What about the spray on noise reducing materials like Lizzard Skin or undercoatings? How do these products work vs. the other materials?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:44 PM
dporto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dallas996
That's a good aproach. As you've learned, it takes more than one product to quiet the interior of a vehicle. You fighting multiple frequency ranges, and each product targets a specific range.

Dyynamat doesn't do a lot in these cars because there isn't a lot of panel resonance. Mass loaded materials will do better to actually block sound coming into the vehicle.

I've also considered bedlining the wheel wells, because they do seem to allow a lot of noise to enter the car.
Don't even bother with the foam. Foam is a fine thermal insulator but does next to nothing for sound. Mass is the only true "blocker" of sound. Mass is also not a great idea in your 911 - for obvious reasons. The "limp mass vinyl" products are pretty good, but the caveat is that you would have to cover EVERYTHING for it to really "work" - that would include all the windows...(probably not a good idea). Otherwise, the noise flanks your sound deadening (flanking noise) and renders it useless. Good luck

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
I switched from Cont. DWS to DW, the ride is much better and less road noise.
I do not know what Dynamat is, I am curious. Can some one exlpain what and how it is.
TY

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM
I'll be getting this done late next week and will post full results. Pre-Post noise readings in 4 locations of the car. Driver Window area, center vent area, Passenger Window area and on the middle of the rear seat tunnel. No one else spend and possibly waste money until I'm done

Dynamat is basically a rubber/aluminum self sticking vibration absorber. It is expensive because of marketing and branding. That said, the shop doing my work swears by it so I'll just eat the cost on it.

The Radiant barrier (noise absorber) I ordered is this (24ft length):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouc...1475/100656747

The MLV (noise barrier) I ordered is this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...96BX/100663624

I have to agree on tires. I think using a less aggressive tire would help.

Last edited by 996_911C2_Dhru; 04-03-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Would like to know how it attaches. What type of life expectancy.
Also, because I live in NY where the sun shines 6 times a year, will it absorb moisture? Looks like a good product.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sjg1138
BTW. Does your car have carpeting under the seats? I have a '99 and there is NO carpeting under the seats - its just metal. I think they changed this in later years.

Same on 2001 coupe. I think Porsche did this deliberately so that you'd hear more of the exhaust sound inside the car. If you want to make it quieter, I would think adding some sound insulation there would help.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:49 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Long Islander
Same on 2001 coupe. I think Porsche did this deliberately so that you'd hear more of the exhaust sound inside the car. If you want to make it quieter, I would think adding some sound insulation there would help.
It's been awhile but iirc there are some drains down there. This wasn't done for exhaust noise and you DO NOT wanna cover up that area.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I put Dynamat in there - didn't see any holes and there was nothing hiding anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise Reduction