996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to setup 996 C2 for Autocross?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:54 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
How to setup 996 C2 for Autocross?

I am seeking input from folks who have experience in setting up a 996 C2 for Autocross, but is also a DD.
Thanks

Old 04-06-2015, 04:25 PM
bornrich is on a distinguished road
A lot depends on what class you want to run. Each class has limits on changes you can make. If you don't have much experience auto crossing, I just suggest getting as much seat time as you can before upgrading your car to any extent.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Ty br

Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Knifeprty over on Rennlist probably is probably one of the more avid autoxers for the 996 platform and iirc had gone to the nationals before. You might wanna hit him up over there.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
SpeedYeller is on a distinguished road
So I have a 2002 C2 setup for AutoX and doing fairly well at local events.

-GT3 suspension - allowed for corner balancing since they are height adj (600/1000 spring weights)
-GT3 Sway bars (full soft front/full stiff rear)
-All adjustable rear linkage pieces (rennline)
-And a few engine mods (intake/sport-cats/plenum/semi-solid mounts)

-the rub is that I still get a lot over understeer...thinking of adding spacers in front...as well as upgrading to some Hoosier A7's after my Proxyes R888's are done (can't wait, these tires suck for AutoX so using them as DD's )

currently: 245/40-18's in front and 295/30-18's in the rear

I have a question: Anyone else running GT3 struts who have tried to get big tires on the front? Wondering if anyone has had any luck with 265's or 275's in front? wanna get this answered before I go buy Hoosiers...and don't want to buy the bigger rims and such if it ain't gonna fit...

Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Cool speed yeller

Thank you for the the details of your car. it will help for sure.
Attended my first event a couple of weeks ago.
Central NY PCA, leased a go kart track for auto x.

It was a BLAST!!

About two dozen cars, 914s, 944, Boxsters, 996tt, Cayman S good assortment. I had only 996 N/A.

Here is a picture of the course:

We would run almost two complete laps, average time when I left was about 79 seconds.

I asked a DE instructor to ride with me on my first pass, as I was second car out and no idea what to expect.

My theory was to keep RPM up by up/down shifting, wrong!!

First pass, 77.9 second 77.2.

After talking with some members they said to leave car in second after intial launch ( 5k evoms launch control).

I let an experienced auto X fella take a pass in my car, he had never driven a 996 and did not understand launch control. His auto x is a 1988 911 Cab, when drove my car he hit a cone and went off into grass with right front tire, but still went 72.0 !!

Video below, (definitely did not understand LC)

I will be receiving my Techart suspension next week, F/R sway bars and coil springs. I am not sure if I will go with the Bilsten that techart recommend. I do not want coil over set-up for now.

The fastest times of the day were 67 & 68 seconds by Cayman S cars with PDK.

I would have never believed the performance of the PDK unless i saw it myself, WOW.

With that said, IMO there should be a 10 second handicap for any car with a PDK

I hope you experienced Porsche people have a understanding on how much people like me rely on your knowledge and appreciate your input, it truly helps us that are just getting started into the crazy world of Porsche !!
regards
David

Last edited by NYoutftr; 06-25-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Speed yeller,
I forgot to ask, what motor mounts did you go with, also did you change gearbox mount?
ty

Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 PM
JonnyD330 is on a distinguished road
Nice

Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Speed yeller,
I forgot to ask, what motor mounts did you go with, also did you change gearbox mount?
ty
Motor mounts are: WEVO - by Windrush Evolutions, Inc. about $400

yeah, forgot, I did the 997 shift kit when I first got the car...found one for free and 100% better than the 996 (stock) shift kit. Its amazing how far that 996 throw is in stock config...

Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Nice Video...and cool track, love that aerial view! I didn't see very many cones tho...are they there? or are you calling "grass blades" = "cones"?

These shots are at a local semi-used airplane tarmac...
Here's what my car looks like, under 0g then hard in a rt turn. Still some roll but from what I understand that should help with the understeer issue.

and then hard in a rt turn:

Old 06-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Our cars

Our cars have almost the same modifications
2003 996 3.6L NA C2 Coupe Aero
IPD Comp Plenum
GT3 Throttle Body
BMC Air Filter
Silicone Hose Inhaler for 82 MM throttle Body
Kline headers
Kline 200 cel "X" pipe 2.5" Diameter
Tubi Style Mufflers
Evoms Stage IV tune w/ 5000 launch control
997 SSK
Techart F&R Sway bars & Techart coil springs on the way
Dyno results coming this fall, can't wait
here is a quick clip of launch, TOO MUCH FUN

Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Your car

I really like that color on your car.
The ride height looks perfect, is it good for daily driver?
The video is of an experienced auto cross driver, but he hit a cone and did some 4 wheeling in the grass
The cones were set up to change and limit amount of course.
Even when he was killing a cone he ran 72.0, it was the quickest 3 PEDAL run.
I am from old school drag racing, it is now not politically correct to say:
Real men use 3 pedals !!
--- was not kidding about the color of your car, this is in 1979, check out color of my Camaro

Old 06-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks! and Nice Camaro!

Speed Yellow wasn't my first choice, but the car had a brand new motor from Porsche when I bought it in 2010...the color has now grown on me...not sure I'd want another color anymore...