996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 only has one clutch switch not two???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:05 PM
lotuschris is on a distinguished road
My 996 only has one clutch switch not two???

Hello Everyone,

My 996 3.6 2002 manual UK car will start on the ignition key whether the clutch pedal is in or out. I only discovered this is odd when I googled why my car gets the error code for "clutch encoder P0830", and everyone says to check both the clutch switches, but my car only has one switch!

Google shows that every forum topic on this tends to lead to this Pelican Parts image of the clutch pedal and the two clutch switches:

Name:  Clutch%20switch.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  70.5 KB

My car has the large red and black switch with the green arrow, but it does not have the smaller grey micro switch with the yellow arrow. Is this unusual? I can see the two screw holes where you could mount the small grey switch if you wanted to, but there is no wiring. The car is unmodified and molested with a history of owners that only went to main dealers.

My car does not have cruise control, starts perfectly, and runs perfectly aside from throwing that error code above.

So basically.... did not all cars have the second switch on the clutch pedal?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-22-2015, 03:45 PM
dan_189 is on a distinguished road
Hi Chris,

I have a RoW manual 2004 C2. Good history, no modifications etc. I can start my car without the clutch pedal in. I actually would prefer if I had that switch. Although it's handy being able to start the car before getting into it. Just make sure it's not in gear!

Old 04-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Hi Dan,

Thanks for that - very interesting. I wonder why I am getting the "clutch encoder" message? Was the safety feature of the clutch switch only for some markets?

Chris

Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Perhaps, I do remember reading something in the owners manual about needing to press in the clutch to start too but mines not like that. Think you're right, may only be for certain markets.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
You answered your own question! Because your car doesn't have cruise control you don't have that switch. There is two clutch control switches, one is dedicated to the cruise control system, which disengages cruise control when you push the clutch in. Since you don't have cruise control you don't have the switch or wiring for it.

Originally Posted by lotuschris
Hi Dan,

Thanks for that - very interesting. I wonder why I am getting the "clutch encoder" message? Was the safety feature of the clutch switch only for some markets?

Chris
If you get the car to a place that has a diagnostic tool you can go into the menus and turn off the cruise control option. That should eliminate the code. At some point in the cars history the brain got switched to think it had cruise control and it's looking for the switch. Just need to switch the programming. If you have any other questions let me know.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 04-23-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Or you could install cruise control! It's actually great to have, couldn't imagine my car without it. I'm sure others will disagree though!

Cheers!

Last edited by dan_189; 04-23-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dan_189
Hey luccia,

My car has cruise control which disengages when I press the clutch in. It's only that when I start the car I dont need the clutch in.

Cheers!
Hi Dan,

My post was in reference to the OP's post not yours. Apologies.

-Luccia

Old 04-23-2015, 06:00 PM
All good! I read hi Dan and neglected to read the rest! Sorry

Old 04-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by dan_189
All good! I read hi Dan and neglected to read the rest! Sorry
No worries!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Wow guys - really useful, thanks.

PelicanParts - I am surprised that the lack of factory fitted cruise control makes an error code appear in the ECU. I once had the error light on the dash and when I scanned for codes the only one I had stored was the clutch encoder one. With that cleared, the light cleared.